• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The emergance of Matt Ryan had me thinking

I think its likely they agree that their are franchise QB's, but picking them is a crap shoot. For every Peyton Manning, there are two or three Ryan Leaf's or Heath Shuler's.

To put it another way, they don't believe in picking a first rounder who's never played a pro game to be the "franchise" QB is a good strategy.

We will see how good Ryan is in his second year.

I'm not so sure about Derek Anderson. Looked great last year, then when he got the team this year, not so much. I have always liked Kyle Boller, think he would probably fit in good with Fox and what he wants to do with a QB. But Boller needs a lot of work to become a better QB and I don't think the Panthers are prepared to do another (Carr) reclamation project.

I've grown to dislike the Panther's as the arrogance of their fans is insane. And i think we've been over this before AK. I moved from Greensboro to Atlanta before Carolina had a franchise so i am a Falcons fan but i do have a soft spot for the Panthers

I don't really know why some fans get so overly aggressive with fans of a divisional rival, I mean who cares. Its 2 games of a schedule we really need to worry about.

the crazy thing i have heard jpw coaching staff say he has a better deep ball than stafford

If thats true then I wouldn't mind spending a mid round pick on him. I'm not really looking forward to life without Jake unless we are bringing in a guy like Matt Ryan or Flacco. I think we have a solid enough team and coaching staff to coach a kid up for a while but losing Jake and his leadership is going to be tough for us to overcome (as was evident last year).

My view from the outside:

It really depends on how long Delhomme stays. If he were to retire after this year (which I don't see unless he has some MAJOR injury or hoists the Lombardi), I'd feel a bit worried about handing the keys to Moore. In that scenario, the Panthers would be wise to have a Volek/Collins/Frerotte type - maybe that could be McCown. Now if it's a couple years down the road, maybe Matt could do it without that vet net, like Cassel in NE. But barring regression, he should get that chance when the time comes.

I have liked Moore since the day we got him, but I have said that i didnt think his skinny legs would hold up to NFL hits.

we need to draft a QB to sit behind Jake for a year or 2. I dont think jake will be around for much longer, especially if you happen to win a SB. Jake is into his horses now.

I have seen some Mock Drafts of us drafting Graham Harrell in the 3rd round. while I like that pick we need other things, plus i dont see us drafting a QB while Fox/Hurney is running the show.

IMO Fox and Hurney don't dislike 1st round QB's. They dislike 1st round busts and more importantly 1st round egos.

A John Fox QB must be prepared to have less yardage than the RB's, and most first rounders have a tough time swallowing that.

If there was a pretty safe bet (I thonk most thought Ryan might be mediocre at worst) with a good attitude, I can see them pulling the trigger.

I've grown to dislike the Panther's as the arrogance of their fans is insane. And i think we've been over this before AK. I moved from Greensboro to Atlanta before Carolina had a franchise so i am a Falcons fan but i do have a soft spot for the Panthers

I wish we could be as modest as Falcons fans:

http://life.atlantafalcons.com/index.php?showtopic=3825124

To put it another way, they don't believe in picking a first rounder who's never played a pro game to be the "franchise" QB is a good strategy.

I dont think it has to be a first rounder. An 'early pick' by my definition, would be in the first 3 rounds. And while ALL players are hit or miss coming into the NFL, there have been plenty 1-3 QBs who have been all-world.

Of the top 10 passers in the NFL right now, only two were NOT drafted in the first three rounds. 5 were first rounders. So it can be done.

I also tend to have a ton of faith in our current scouting department. They have done a wonderful job the last few years.

Kerry Collins, Jerry Colquitt, Chris Weinke, Randy Fasani, & Stefan LeFors. In 13 NFL drafts, we've wasted 6 picks on failed QBs.

I don't think drafting QBs is our "thing". I would like to stick with free agency and invest picks in building up other spots.

Kerry Collins, Jerry Colquitt, Chris Weinke, Randy Fasani, & Stefan LeFors. In 13 NFL drafts, we've wasted 6 picks on failed QBs.

I don't think drafting QBs is our "thing". I would like to stick with free agency and invest picks in building up other spots.

That's silly. The people making the decisions 13 years ago, 7 years ago, etc...are NOT the same people making the decisions today.

Just because person 'A' can't identify talent doesn't mean that person 'B' cant. Person 'B' has been fantastic. Please witness the following:

D. Williams

J. Stewart

J. Otah

R. Kalil

J. King

D. Rosario

C. Godfrey

J. Beason

D. Jarrett

C. Johnson

R. Marshall

All of the following have been drafted in the last 3 years. Two represent one of the top rushing games in the NFL. Two more start and block for those players. Two more rotate at tight end. One of them just made the Pro Bowl in his second year, and two others start on defense (or flex with Marshall).

The only other draft in franchise history that can compete with the last 3 would be the Peppers/Smith class.

Point is, the people making the draft decisions these days are simply better than in the past. I trust they can identify the right QB for this organization, regardless of round. And also regardless of the past.

Archived