• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trade Deadline Rules - ESPN Content

Rocky Davis

So we have already talked about the Canes not doing anything to better our Cup contending team and an NHL "source" called Waddle and the Canes out:

Stick to the plan

This is rule No. 1 according to the executives with whom we spoke. Burke, a Stanley Cup-winning GM, told me the three questions a team must ask itself before every deadline.
"What you want to accomplish at the deadline is a direct function of how close or how far away you are," he said. "So first question is how close are you? That'll determine how active you are."
Question No. 2: How specific are your needs? "If you need a third-line center, that's different than if you need a top-six forward," Burke said, which brings us to question No. 3: What do you have to offer to another club in order to fill those specific needs?
"What's the trade capital? What do you have to give? What picks have you already traded away?" he said. "Do you have good young players? Do you have other assets in the AHL?"
Mike Futa was an assistant general manager who helped build Stanley Cup champions with the Los Angeles Kings. He said one of the biggest mistakes teams make at the deadline is not knowing when to turn that trade capital into something tangible.
"These guys kill me: The rankings tell you that you have the best prospects in the world and then they just keep getting all these prospects," said Futa, now an analyst with Sportsnet. "At what point do you look at your nuggets and say, 'Hey, they are good. But we're not winning anything."
One NHL source pointed to the Carolina Hurricanes as a team like that. Now, the Hurricanes win plenty ... but haven't won a championship round since 2006. They had the sixth best prospect pool for 2022-23 and the second-best pool for 2021-22, according to The Athletic. When do they aggressively deal some of those futures for the present?
"You can say Player X is going to be a stud five years from now," Futa said. "But if he can get you a piece for your core, you do it."
So, yeah time to put up or shut up.......

• Flames 1

Don clearly values the future a little disproportionately imo. I understand there is influence from ownership but there’s a small window of opportunity here to position yourselves for a legitimate cup run. Our PP is going to falter even more in the playoffs. We know this. We are going to deal with injuries and guys getting bullied in ge playoffs. We know this. Every single current playoff team that’s a non wildcard in the East got better and some may have surpassed us. What message are you sending to the team as they look around and see their competition getting better for peanuts. They’re not even trading rostered players for these upgrades.

Edited by USDepartmentOfSavagery
  • Pie 2

18 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

The guy featured in this (Michael Futa) used to work for the Canes… safe to say that there was some philosophical differences in how to get a Cup.

He also worked for the Kings when they won 2 Stanley Cups. 

I agree with what the NHL source said, if you feel like you have a chance to win a Cup you have to say goodbye to some prospects that won't be helping you in the next 2-3 years. 

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, Rocky Davis said:

He also worked for the Kings when they won 2 Stanley Cups. 

I agree with what the NHL source said, if you feel like you have a chance to win a Cup you have to say goodbye to some prospects that won't be helping you in the next 2-3 years. 

Hell some of the prospects we’ve hung on to may never help us… I was saying earlier that I’d rather give guys like Drury, Rees, and Suzuki a chance to make the roster as fourth line players going forward rather than bringing in older guys like Stepan and Stastny.

In a perfect world those players develop but even if they don’t (like Zetterlund from NJ), you can still flip them in trades because they are young enough where another team might take a chance on them.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Hell some of the prospects we’ve hung on to may never help us… I was saying earlier that I’d rather give guys like Drury, Rees, and Suzuki a chance to make the roster as fourth line players going forward rather than bringing in older guys like Stepan and Stastny.

In a perfect world those players develop but even if they don’t (like Zetterlund from NJ), you can still flip them in trades because they are young enough where another team might take a chance on them.

Agreed!  I am unsure what we are doing at the moment.

• Pie 1