• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dave Grohl is just good people

jayboogieman

14 hours ago, Zaximus said:

I mean a lot of grunge copied Neil Yong's 80's stuff too, it's all good.

Pearl Jam's Ten was such an amazing record that they didn't feel they could fit Yellow Ledbetter on it which is like a B side from that album and now a staple at concerts (and a lot of people's favorites).  They are still making good records.  Pearl Jam smartly has evolved over the years.  They couldn't make albums like Ten or Vs forever, as they got older they changed and their fans and they didn't try to recreate the early albums at all.  Not many bands would do that.   Some of their later career stuff has some of my favorites, especially Avacado album for instance.  

I love that era of music though, easily my favorite.  Nirvana may be one my least favorites honestly.  I personally don't like them as much as PJ, AIC, STP, Soundgarden, Blind Melon, etc.  PJ's Ten, STP's Purple, Soundgarden's Superunknown are some of the best front to back rock albums ever.  And AIC's Unplugged album is one of the best live albums, easily.   I also think Nirvana's unplugged is great too.  

Agreed with all of this, except I loved Nirvana. I honestly wasn't a big fan of Nevermind. It just felt way overproduced to the point that it was no longer Nirvana. It was what a marketing machine would want Nirvana to be. Bleach and In Utero were their best studio albums and both From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah and Unplugged were GREAT live albums capturing the two extremes that they were capable of.

And yeah, Blind Melon was fuging awesome. "Change" is one of my favorite '90s songs, period. Nirvana, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Alice in Chains were clearly the cream of the crop of the grunge era, but STP honestly wasn't far behind and may have closed the gap even more had Weiland not gone drug riddled insane and tried to transform himself into David Bowie.

23 hours ago, TheRumGone said:

Nirvana ripped off the pixies. I think Kurt even said that in an interview.

The quiet verse/loud chorus dynamic definitely.  "Come as You Are" was also basically a rework of the main riff in Killing Joke's "Eighties".  poo I think Cobain has even said that the main riff in "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was just a re-interpretation of "More Than a Feeling".

When they exploded it was like lightning striking.  It was the right producer, the right climate in popular music, the right image, everything.  Perhaps most important, to keep things on track with this topic, was Grohl replacing Chad Channing.  Channing is a competent drummer but Dave Grohl is punk John Bonham.   It's no contest.

Consider a song like "In Bloom"; there was a version of it they had done for Sub Pop and it doesn't sound dissimilar from anything else that was on "Bleach".  Butch Vig got his hands on it with Dave Grohl playing drums and adding vocal harmonies and suddenly it's this anthemic wall of sound monster.

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Agreed with all of this, except I loved Nirvana. I honestly wasn't a big fan of Nevermind. It just felt way overproduced to the point that it was no longer Nirvana. It was what a marketing machine would want Nirvana to be. Bleach and In Utero were their best studio albums and both From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah and Unplugged were GREAT live albums capturing the two extremes that they were capable of.

Fun fact: according to Steve Albini, most of the vocals on "In Utero" were recorded in one sitting.

8 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

And yeah, Blind Melon was fuging awesome. "Change" is one of my favorite '90s songs, period. Nirvana, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Alice in Chains were clearly the cream of the crop of the grunge era, but STP honestly wasn't far behind and may have closed the gap even more had Weiland not gone drug riddled insane and tried to transform himself into David Bowie.

Yeah Weiland was pretty unique in his vocal ability and the band musically has always been really really good.  I can't believe we lost so many from that era, unique voices.  

• Pie 2

10 hours ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

The quiet verse/loud chorus dynamic definitely.  "Come as You Are" was also basically a rework of the main riff in Killing Joke's "Eighties".  poo I think Cobain has even said that the main riff in "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was just a re-interpretation of "More Than a Feeling".

When they exploded it was like lightning striking.  It was the right producer, the right climate in popular music, the right image, everything.  Perhaps most important, to keep things on track with this topic, was Grohl replacing Chad Channing.  Channing is a competent drummer but Dave Grohl is punk John Bonham.   It's no contest.

Consider a song like "In Bloom"; there was a version of it they had done for Sub Pop and it doesn't sound dissimilar from anything else that was on "Bleach".  Butch Vig got his hands on it with Dave Grohl playing drums and adding vocal harmonies and suddenly it's this anthemic wall of sound monster.

yeah. grohl is super talented. dont get me wrong i like nirvana i just never understood the hype as like one of the greatest bands of all time. kurt definitely had a cool detached anti authority vibe going on that spoke to a lot of people during that time period. i also didnt know until recently that kurt was working for the melvins and was actually fired as a producer lol. melvins dont get enough love. those early 90s albums they put out were incredible. i saw them live right before covid hit for my bday and they still got it. they played queen off stoner witch and the place went absolutely bonkers.

10 hours ago, Zaximus said:

Yeah Weiland was pretty unique in his vocal ability and the band musically has always been really really good.  I can't believe we lost so many from that era, unique voices.  

If the history of modern music has one big, screaming message it is "don't fug with heroin, just don't do it."

8 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

Yeah...

Not everyone is as lucky as Nikki Sixx

There are so many heroin casualties.  I've known people who've kicked and they still struggle to not give in and get high in a moment of weakness.

I've had my vices and over-indulged in some stuff for sure, but when I've noticed it starting to fug my life up I've managed to straighten out (so far, at least).  Heroin seems like a different beast entirely.  I've seen completely normal workaday Joes turned into burnt out husks of people by that poo.  Supposedly fentanyl is even worse and that's horrifying.

Big pharma companies pushing the hell out of opioids and lying about their addictiveness has made the heroin problem so much worse. Fentanyl is just the heroin dealers stretching their product but with something as ridiculously potent as fentanyl getting your mix off just slightly means people dying left and right. But dong worry, the FDA keeps approving increasingly potent options because their big pharma handlers ensure them it'll all be okay.