• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joe Person: Sense around the league is they’re going up for CJ Stroud

Varking

41 minutes ago, frankw said:

At least this Buckeye Homer guy is transparent about it unlike some of these Bama fans hiding in plain sight.

To contrast, I wasn't confident that Duane Haskins (RIP) would be able to handle the mental aspects of the NFL.  I wasn't sure about Justin Fields either, but I suppose the jury is still out on him.  I have high confidence, obviously, in Stroud.  

• Beer 1

Just now, Buckeye Homer said:

I'm a Buckeye fanatic.  Sadly for me, I never became a fan of an NFL team.  I love the NFL but just never became attached to a team.  

I used to have to work in Columbus on game days sometimes. It was interesting 😄

Back when Chris Spielman was doing an annual mock draft, I served as the Panthers GM a couple of times.

• Beer 1

41 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I am not only a Georgia fan, but a Georgia alum,---for all the good it's done me, but that's another issue (Georgia can't help that I turned into a largely free spirited Bohemian).

Our game was a great one.  Michigan could have had a crack at Georgia but they choked.  Lol.

42 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Awesome to hear--I think character and integrity matter.  Some on this board would want Jack the Ripper if he could throw it 80 yards. 
I was watching some you tube film on him, and I would love more end zone angles, but he seems to process very quickly.  Ball placement is everything.  first, it increases the likelihood the ball will be caught and decreases the likelihood it will be intercepted.  More importantly, it leads to runs after the catch--and I know the Buckeye WRs are the best, but they are on their horses a lot.

Ohio State attracts elite receivers because we run a fun offense wherein they can display their ability.  Speaking of, I think Marvin Harrison Jr. is the greatest receiver to EVER play at Ohio State, and that's saying a lot!  He's got NFL Hall of Fame written all over him.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Buckeye Homer said:

A fair number of people have abandoned their professional fandom based on the behavior of some players.  It's difficult to cheer for guys that beat their wives.

A lot of Cleveland seems to be okay with guys who harass and assault their masseuses.

• Flames 1

43 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Its definitely Stroud.   All of our guys were there to watch Stroud throw and it seemed like hours after that the rumors got cranked up that we loved Stroud and wanted to trade up.  Could that change, maybe, but I would bet just about anything that we are drafting him.  Just makes too much sense giving all the smoke signals.

Receivers LOVE Stroud.  He throws with great touch and places the ball perfectly in stride.  I don't imagine we'll see another like him in Columbus. 

44 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I'll be 56 this year also. That you say this means something. I would've only said that about Stafford (and I would've been right).

Though, I won't say it about Stetson Bennett (I can't take anything away from him). I think he's worth getting drafted.

Nobody knows for sure whether or not a QB has the mentality to play in the NFL until they get out there.  Patrick Mahomes came out of nowhere.  So did Tom Brady.  Of course, there's no shortage of 1st round QB picks that didn't pan out.  

40 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I'm not gonna lie, I was about 60-40 Young before I saw Stroud almost crash the Bulldog's coronation as the preeminent football program in the country. I was like damn. Don't get me wrong, I thought that Georgia's defense was just off, but Stroud did his thing. I was like maybe 55-45. Then Stroud showed out at the Combine, which is indicative to me as a continuation of a rising-to-the-occasion---coming out at the right time. As a result I may just be about 50-50 now (maybe even 45-55 at times). But, at the end of the day, I'll be happy to draft either. 

It seems they're both going in the top two.  

1 minute ago, Chosen Newton said:

Why're we having buyers remorse and trying to trade back. We traded up, stick your chest out and draft the future

It’s hard to tell what’s real. I imagine we have our guy we like, but will continue to evaluate until the draft.

For those who think Bryce Young is in the picture, this may be common knowledge but it is the first I have seen it in writing.  From the San Diego Newspaper: 

GM Scott Fitterer is swinging for the fences after missing on reclamation projects San Darnold and Baker Mayfield. Fitterer paid the premium for the pick, now he has to get it right. I’m thinking the decision comes down to Ohio State’s Stroud or Florida’s Anthony Richardson — both were exceptional at the combine in Indianapolis. New head coach Frank Reich has almost exclusively worked with prototypical sized quarterbacks in his career and made a point to declare Alabama’s Bryce Young’s size “is a concern” when he was asked in Indy. Despite dealing with several injuries at wide receiver, Stroud didn’t miss a beat last season — he was second in touchdown passes (41) and QBR (88.9) in 2022 — and nearly beat the two-time national champion Georgia Bulldogs in the semifinals with 348 yards and four touchdowns, while showcasing his scrambling ability (he’s a traditional pocket passer).

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/story/2023-03-11/2023-nfl-mock-draft-three-round-projections

Edited by MHS831