• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Monday Musings/Post-Draft Thoughts: FA Market, OLB, & TE

Bear Hands

3 hours ago, 45catfan said:

You're assuming and I'm assuming.  Some GMs take flyer picks on QBs just about every draft.  I'm not sold on Corral and I'm not putting all my eggs in the Bryce Young basket he stays healthy.  This year we are fine with Dalton and potentially next, but if we are looking for his eventual replacement (as we should) and Corral isn't it, we don't need to wait two years to make that pick.

Fitt has said multiple times he prefers to select a QB every year. 

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

So, he would make a better full back or H-back? Isn't that what Tremble and Ricci are supposed to be?

Yeah, Tremble and Ricci played more fullback/H-back, but I think Thomas made the most difference as a puller in the run game.  To me, neither Tremble nor Ricci really looked great in the fullback/H-back role.  Ricci is a decent receiver as a fullback, but I haven't been impressed with him as a run blocker.  I think Tremble, like Thomas, is better as a pulling blocker as of now.

My whole point is that Thomas shouldn't be a starter, but I disagree with those who think he doesn't deserve a roster spot.  I also think Tremble is worth another year of development.  Many TE's are not a finished product until their 3rd year.

• Pie 1

58 minutes ago, Santee_Panther said:

Fitt has said multiple times he prefers to select a QB every year. 

Come next year, even if it looks like Bryce is our franchise and let's say we win the division...Dalton could retire or inch closer to it, the staff will know if they wanna roll with whoever made it Corral v. Eason.  So, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to think we take a 5th-6th round flier on someone like a Michael Pratt or whatnot.    

1 hour ago, Seltzer said:

Yeah, Tremble and Ricci played more fullback/H-back, but I think Thomas made the most difference as a puller in the run game.  To me, neither Tremble nor Ricci really looked great in the fullback/H-back role.  Ricci is a decent receiver as a fullback, but I haven't been impressed with him as a run blocker.  I think Tremble, like Thomas, is better as a pulling blocker as of now.

My whole point is that Thomas shouldn't be a starter, but I disagree with those who think he doesn't deserve a roster spot.  I also think Tremble is worth another year of development.  Many TE's are not a finished product until their 3rd year.

Like Shaq, the salary is the rub.  On field performance versus what the player is paid.  I have no problem with Thomas on the roster for his run blocking abilities… until I see his contract numbers.  OY!

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Seltzer said:

Gotcha. But why keep Thomas and Tremble if they fill basically the same role?

1 minute ago, jayboogieman said:

The only relief on Thomas is to trade him.  We get no cap relief releasing him before or after June 1st.  This contract has the stench of Rhule on it.

1 minute ago, jayboogieman said:

I think 2 things: 

1) Hurst and Thomas will probably be the first 2 guys out in a 2 TE set b/c then you have a good receiving TE in Hurst and a good blocking TE in Thomas.

Tremble has shown flashes as both a receiver and blocker, but he is not consistent yet.  This is a big year for him, b/c most TE's take time to develop, but by year 3, you kind of are what you are.

I think from a coaches perspective, you got a TE group with 2 established veterans now and a developing player, so that's not bad from either a short or long term perspective.

I do think Tremble needs to show more this season.  If he does, Thomas becomes expendable next year.  If not, maybe Tremble becomes expendable, and TE becomes more of a need.

Either way, this year should give more clarity.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, bythenbrs said:

No argument from me.  Someone should be pilloried, whipped, beaten and then shot… twice.  And his dog.

Seriously...  of all the bad contracts, this is the one setting you off?  Do you remember Matt Kalil?  Paying Delhomme after his 2008 meltdown when it was obvious his arm was shot?  Teddy Bridgewater?  Sam Darnold?  Come on man...

This is not even in the same multiverse as some of the bad contracts in team history, even in recent team history.

Just now, Seltzer said:

Seriously...  of all the bad contracts, this is the one setting you off?  Do you remember Matt Kalil?  Paying Delhomme after his 2008 meltdown when it was obvious his arm was shot?  Teddy Bridgewater?  Sam Darnold?  Come on man...

This is not even in the same multiverse as some of the bad contracts in team history, even in recent team history.

True but after Shaq renegotiated, this is the only contract that is still butt ugly and mystifying.  I have no argument with your historical antecedents but, they are in the rear view mirror.  This one is staring us in the face daily.

• Pie 1