• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dalton as the Current Starting QB

tukafan21

3 hours ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

TLDR:  Relax, teams need to go in with this as a consistent approach.

I don’t think you trade your starting wide receiver along with future 1/2 round draft capital for a “ franchise QB” to bring him along slowly and try to find a way to work him into the line up.  Not in todays NFL.  The coaches and FO will do everything to make that happen.  

Generally speaking, you also don't want to anoint a player a starting spot based solely on where they are drafted. This could lead to complacency (probably not the case with BY) and send signals to other guys who are working their asses off trying to get more playing time. Hence the emphasis on earning PT.  It’s the right and most importantly, the consistent message to send to the team despite the pearl clutching it causes with some of the fan base. 

Now to be fair. The Huddle is really good at 2 things. Living in fear of the past, and clutching those pearls so hard you need a pry bar to get them loose.

IMO, the QB reps should be distributed thusly. 70% to Young, 20% to Andy, with Corral and Eason splitting the last 10%. End of discussion and close the thread. lol

Meh.  All the  QB's need snaps with both 1st and 2nd string OL, Wr's and RBs because those 2nd stringers play.  OL, WR and RB injuries are quite common.  To just dictate that this QB is one and only takes snaps with the other designated 1s is poor planning.  Is there an NFL team that designates all the 1s right after the draft and then only those players practice together?    The huddle over-dissects this stuff.

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Old school coaches want to make the youngster earn it. Even if everyone knows it's basically a farce. 

It's only a farce if he wins the job. There is a possibility of other outcomes.

We all expect him to be the day 1 starter. Anything less would be a let-down considering where he was drafted and all. But if it takes a little while for him to get it. So be it. Dalton is more than capable of leading this team until Bryce is ready to take the reins. 

Short story long. The vets aren't going to follow him until he proves he can lead them. And as of right now? He hasn't had an opportunity to show them anything.

Andy Dalton is there to help ease his transition to the NFL. I imagine the first week or so of camp we'll see Young taking reps with the 2nd team offense and gradually moving to the 1st team. I trust the staff knows what they are doing given all they've invested.

Edited by frankw
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, Gerry Green said:

It's only a farce if he wins the job. There is a possibility of other outcomes.

We all expect him to be the day 1 starter. Anything less would be a let-down considering where he was drafted and all. But if it takes a little while for him to get it. So be it. Dalton is more than capable of leading this team until Bryce is ready to take the reins. 

Short story long. The vets aren't going to follow him until he proves he can lead them. And as of right now? He hasn't had an opportunity to show them anything.

Let down? This place is going to be a complete poo show if Andy Dalton starts week one. 😂

Could you imagine Andy Dalton starting week one for us while Stroud and Richardson has great debuts?

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952b817f19c3af861066

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Let down? This place is going to be a complete poo show if Andy Dalton starts week one. 😂

Could you imagine Andy Dalton starting week one for us while Stroud and Richardson has great debuts?

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952b817f19c3af861066

What happens if Bryce doesn't start, and Stroud and Richardson bomb?

Point being. The staff have a plan for Bryce. If everything goes accordingly, Bryce should be our day 1 starter. However, there is still a possibility circumstance may get in the way of said process and other outcomes may arise,

IMO, Bryce has done nothing to show what he is capable of doing. Can't we just wait until he does before we crown him? Or throw him under the bus, whichever one is most appropriate.

12 minutes ago, Gerry Green said:

What happens if Bryce doesn't start, and Stroud and Richardson bomb?

Point being. The staff have a plan for Bryce. If everything goes accordingly, Bryce should be our day 1 starter. However, there is still a possibility circumstance may get in the way of said process and other outcomes may arise,

IMO, Bryce has done nothing to show what he is capable of doing. Can't we just wait until he does before we crown him? Or throw him under the bus, whichever one is most appropriate.

I'm just acknowledging the obvious that the plan is going massively awry if Young doesn't start week one. 

5 minutes ago, Gerry Green said:

That's why he needs to be with the number ones , and be the starter , going against the starting D 

Cam didn't do anything either, and him starting week 1 was never in question 

And the list of great QBs who was thrown in the deep end and expected to sink or swim is a long one , Peyton Manning sucked in his first game , now he is a HOFer , you can't learn unless you are feeling the heat first hand 

10 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm just acknowledging the obvious that the plan is going massively awry if Young doesn't start week one. 

I know you are a worry-wart. But Bryce not stating day 1 is not the end of the world. Now if he is still not starting after say week 6? Then we may have something to worry over.

We all expect him to be the starter. I do expect the coaches to do everything in their power to get him ready. We just have to hope for the best.

Edited by Gerry Green

9 minutes ago, Day1PanthersFan said:

That's why he needs to be with the number ones , and be the starter , going against the starting D 

Cam didn't do anything either, and him starting week 1 was never in question 

And the list of great QBs who was thrown in the deep end and expected to sink or swim is a long one , Peyton Manning sucked in his first game , now he is a HOFer , you can't learn unless you are feeling the heat first hand 

I'm more talking about practices. Can he take the classroom out onto the practice field? Can he get the plays in? Can he get everyone lined up? Can he hit his receivers in stride? Those types of things.

FILO. First one in, last one out.

Bryce will be this teams leader. When will that reign begin?

23 minutes ago, Gerry Green said:

I know you are a worry-wart. But Bryce not stating day 1 is not the end of the world. Now if he is still not starting after say week 6? Then we may have something to worry over.

We all expect him to be the starter. I do expect the coaches to do everything in their power to get him ready. We just have to hope for the best.

I don't know how you interpret this as worrying. 😂

16 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't know how you interpret this as worrying. 😂

All I can go by is the language that you use. Farce, massively wrong, and posing questions about what ifs. And you always seem to jump to worse case scenarios. That's why I said you worry over all this.

What do you see when you read your own posts? 

I mean, every post on this page has a negative connotation. That's what I see.

Edited by Gerry Green