• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2023 Off-Season Thread

37 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

How would everyone feel about trading futures, prospects, etc. for EK and then flipping Pesce for a forward?

Adam Gold mentioned something today on the Pesce front that caught my eye. It seems that money might not be the issue but rather term. He speculates that the Canes don’t want to give Pesce a seven or eight year deal that will run him to 38 and would be more inclined to take EK for four years.

EK comes with a hefty $11.5 mil cap hit for the next 4 years, not sure how that works for extending aho and other spots we need to fill. I wouldn’t pay it for defense. He’s not any better skilled player than Svech who we extended 8 years at $7.75 mil.

Edited by DavidEng

4 minutes ago, DavidEng said:

EK comes with a hefty $11.5 mil cap hit for the next 4 years, not sure how that works for extending aho and other spots we need to fill. I wouldn’t pay it for defense. He’s not any better skilled player than Svech who we extended 8 years at $7.75 mil.

San Jose would have to retain 50% and we might even have to have another team come in and retain an additional 25%. Don’t think we could afford the cap hit unless a minimum of 50% was retained.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

San Jose would have to retain 50% and we might even have to have another team come in and retain an additional 25%. Don’t think we could afford the cap hit unless a minimum of 50% was retained.

Granted he had a great season in goals and assists and won the Norris trophy as best defenseman,  but the 4 years prior he only played in 50+ games each season, with far fewer goals and points, injuries? Seems a risk like Pacioretti. 

https://www.nhl.com/player/erik-karlsson-8474578

• Pie 2

Just now, DavidEng said:

Granted he had a great season in goals and assists and won the Norris trophy as best defenseman,  but the 4 years prior he only played in 50+ games each season, with far fewer goals and points, injuries? Seems a risk like Pacioretti. 

https://www.nhl.com/player/erik-karlsson-8474578

True, injury history is a big concern with EK.

• Pie 1

With all our cap space I really want to see the money go to our biggest weakness - offensive line scoring. If we don’t fix that we’ll never win a Stanley Cup. Our goalies were good enough this season and our defense was excellent. We just couldn’t score against good goalies. And we have to have insurance against injuries like we had with Svech and Pacci.

Extend Aho, pick up just one more scorer, get good goalies in place (resign or trades or UFAs  etc).  All I ask haha.

Edited by DavidEng
  • Pie 1

5 hours ago, DavidEng said:

With all our cap space I really want to see the money go to our biggest weakness - offensive line scoring. If we don’t fix that we’ll never win a Stanley Cup. Our goalies were good enough this season and our defense was excellent. We just couldn’t score against good goalies. And we have to have insurance against injuries like we had with Svech and Pacci.

Extend Aho, pick up just one more scorer, get good goalies in place (resign or trades or UFAs  etc).  All I ask haha.

I fully agree that our biggest weakness is offensive line scoring and needs addressed..

• Pie 1

10 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

How would everyone feel about trading futures, prospects, etc. for EK and then flipping Pesce for a forward?

Adam Gold mentioned something today on the Pesce front that caught my eye. It seems that money might not be the issue but rather term. He speculates that the Canes don’t want to give Pesce a seven or eight year deal that will run him to 38 and would be more inclined to take EK for four years.

I mean if there’s retention, yeah. I’d rather have EK on a shorter contract than Pesce on a 8-9 year contract personally.