• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Deandre Hopkins is a FA

Seltzer

2 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Uhh I mentioned the only WR's I knew by name were DJ/Robby/TMJ. I remember #15 I just didn't know his name.

Just riding your butt. It was one of those, "I thought it, so I said it" kinda deals. lol

Side note, my nephew, and more than a few Huddlerz loves that; if he can think it, it can happen game. Man, he has a wild imagination for a 10 year old. 

Im seeing a lot of people say he will get 15 mil at most.

OBJ on a bad knee got 18 mil. No way Hopkins is taking less than OBJ.

If he is looking at a 1yr prove it deal I think 20 mil is what he will be looking for.

Are those contending teams on his list willing to pay that much?

8 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Hopkins is visiting with the Titans?!?!

What the hell?!?!

I'm sorry, but if he's looking to contend for a title and play with an established quality QB, in what world do the Titans and Tannehill fit that criteria?

the other teams have cooled off on him. when a player says "i want to play for a contender" they mean all things being equal. If the Titans are going to pay him 18M and the bills or chargers offer 10M he's going to the titans. very few players will actually take a big pay cut to pay for a contender 

1 hour ago, jb2288 said:

the other teams have cooled off on him. when a player says "i want to play for a contender" they mean all things being equal. If the Titans are going to pay him 18M and the bills or chargers offer 10M he's going to the titans. very few players will actually take a big pay cut to pay for a contender 

I don't think that's really the case in this specific situation though.

I don't expect Hopkins to sign a multi-year contract with anyone, not at this point with him getting cut so late in the FA season.  His best bet, assuming he still believes in his ability, is to sign a 1 year deal, prove he can stay healthy and play at an elite level, and then cash in next spring with a bigger 2-3 year deal.

Taking less money this year to play with a better QB/team to showcase himself would help set himself up for a bigger payday next year than going to a team with questionable QB play like the Titans.

If we're talking 18 million for one year compared to like 3-5 million, then yes, maybe he's taking the money, but if it's 18 to play with a crap QB or 10 to play with an elite one (while also contending for a SB this year), then I think he'll take the less money for sure.

Which frankly is what I'm hoping happens and he ends up here next year.  If Bryce balls out and shows we have a real shot at contending on his rookie contract, coming back home to the Carolina's to be Bryce's #1 target as Chark is on just the 1 year deal, would make a lot of sense, particularly as we'll have the money next year to make some FA splash signings.

Edited by tukafan21

This is so obvious.

If we really want Hopkins we could offer him more than the contenders.

This dude named 5 QB's but he's visiting a team with one of the worst starting QB's in the league.

Make it make sense! This is about who is offering the most money. My guess is the Titans are offering more than the contenders. Kind of crazy Hopkins might be cheaper than OBJ.

I say we should offer this man 18 mil for 1yr and see how it plays out.

2 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

I don't think that's really the case in this specific situation though.

I don't expect Hopkins to sign a multi-year contract with anyone, not at this point with him getting cut so late in the FA season.  His best bet, assuming he still believes in his ability, is to sign a 1 year deal, prove he can stay healthy and play at an elite level, and then cash in next spring with a bigger 2-3 year deal.

Taking less money this year to play with a better QB/team to showcase himself would help set himself up for a bigger payday next year than going to a team with questionable QB play like the Titans.

If we're talking 18 million for one year compared to like 3-5 million, then yes, maybe he's taking the money, but if it's 18 to play with a crap QB or 10 to play with an elite one (while also contending for a SB this year), then I think he'll take the less money for sure.

Which frankly is what I'm hoping happens and he ends up here next year.  If Bryce balls out and shows we have a real shot at contending on his rookie contract, coming back home to the Carolina's to be Bryce's #1 target as Chark is on just the 1 year deal, would make a lot of sense, particularly as we'll have the money next year to make some FA splash signings.

I don’t think so. Dude is 31 he’s going to take all money he can get this year 

33 minutes ago, RJK said:

Everybody other than dumb fans and Hopkins realizes he’s not worth 18 mil a year. If he wants to play for a chance at a ring he’ll need to take a cheaper contract 

Im trying to figure out why people think this dude is washed?

Like bro look at his stats last season. He was on pace for 1300 yards if he played the full season.

OBJ got 18mil.

Are you telling me Hopkins is not currently better than OBJ?

24 minutes ago, jb2288 said:

I don’t think so. Dude is 31 he’s going to take all money he can get this year 

We have the 2nd most capspace in the league. If we want him we can realistically outbid just about all teams.

Coaching staff must feel real good about our WR's. Im shocked we haven't expressed any interest so far.

6 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

We have the 2nd most capspace in the league. If we want him we can realistically outbid just about all teams.

Coaching staff must feel real good about our WR's. Im shocked we haven't expressed any interest so far.

We don't have the 2nd most cap space in reality though.  Yes, technically at this moment we do, but we also still haven't signed Bryce or Mingo yet, they'll take up a little over $8 million of the cap.

I'm not against signing Hopkins in general, however if we did it, I wouldn't be on board with giving him a big 1 year deal, I'd only be okay if it was a 2 or 3 year deal to make sure he's here for multiple years.

Worst thing we could do would be give him big money for this year, using up much of the cap we have left, and then him leaving next year.  If that were to happen, we'd be much better off just saving the cap to roll over into next year for some big FA splash signings. 

The problem with signing him is that it does hurt our chances to develop both TMJ and Mingo this year unless Chark can't stay healthy.  Hopkins, Chark, and Thielen would absolutely be the top 3, whichever of the other two fell to #5 on the depth chart would struggle to get snaps and we need to develop those two and see what they might become with Bryce.

Honestly, if we could sign Hopkins and trade Chark for maybe a CB or DE, that would be my most ideal scenario in terms of going after Hopkins this year.  But in general, my preference would be that he signs a 1 year deal somewhere this year, and then Bryce balls out and he wants to come home and play with him next year after Chark's one year deal is up.

Edited by tukafan21

9 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Yeah it’s tough. If you believe TMJ and Mingo are the future you absolutely let BY build chemistry there instead 

8 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

We don't have the 2nd most cap space in reality though.  Yes, technically at this moment we do, but we also still haven't signed Bryce or Mingo yet, they'll take up a little over $8 million of the cap.

I'm not against signing Hopkins in general, however if we did it, I wouldn't be on board with giving him a big 1 year deal, I'd only be okay if it was a 2 or 3 year deal to make sure he's here for multiple years.

Worst thing we could do would be give him big money for this year, using up much of the cap we have left, and then him leaving next year.  If that were to happen, we'd be much better off just saving the cap to roll over into next year for some big FA splash signings. 

The problem with signing him is that it does hurt our chances to develop both TMJ and Mingo this year unless Chark can't stay healthy.  Hopkins, Chark, and Thielen would absolutely be the top 3, whichever of the other two fell to #5 on the depth chart would struggle to get snaps and we need to develop those two and see what they might become with Bryce.

Honestly, if we could sign Hopkins and trade Chark for maybe a CB or DE, that would be my most ideal scenario in terms of going after Hopkins this year.  But in general, my preference would be that he signs a 1 year deal somewhere this year, and then Bryce balls out and he wants to come home and play with him next year after Chark's one year deal is up.

Man we have to stop pushing this narrative that signing Hopkins prevents growth from the younger WR's.

Hopkins helps Young more than any of the young WR's. If the goal is to win you sign Hopkins. We are not in a rebuild.

Also you do realize having Hopkins gives those young WR's single coverage?

If they are good they will flourish with those single coverage opportunities.

48 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Man we have to stop pushing this narrative that signing Hopkins prevents growth from the younger WR's.

Hopkins helps Young more than any of the young WR's. If the goal is to win you sign Hopkins. We are not in a rebuild.

Also you do realize having Hopkins gives those young WR's single coverage?

If they are good they will flourish with those single coverage opportunities.

I think the point is if you bring in Hopkins the expectation is he's the 1. Where the coaching staff may truly believe TMJ or Mingo can be the 1 given the opportunities. It's not an unrealistic concern