• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

LeBrun - Canes Will Trade Pesce If Extension Can’t Be Reached

On 6/16/2023 at 6:25 PM, MillionDollarCam said:

Think it probably has to do with term more than money. I can’t see the Canes offering a deal longer than four years while Pesce may want a six year deal.

I suggest offering Pesce more more money but stick to the four year deal.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, KatsAzz said:

I suggest offering Pesce more more money but stick to the four year deal.

The top 2 blue-liners on the team make $1M more than Pesce, and he's at the upper end of the salary range for a 2nd pair, right-handed d-man at $4.025M.

Brent Burns, the top pair righty, makes $5M.

I can't see Pesce getting much more than $4.2 - $4.5M.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Anybodyhome said:

The top 2 blue-liners on the team make $1M more than Pesce, and he's at the upper end of the salary range for a 2nd pair, right-handed d-man at $4.025M.

Brent Burns, the top pair righty, makes $5M.

I can't see Pesce getting much more than $4.2 - $4.5M.

Those guys (Burns/Slavin) were all paid before the cap went up though. Pesce is going to want to make as much as Severson. I’d be shocked if he signed for less than $5.5M a year.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Those guys (Burns/Slavin) were all paid before the cap went up though. Pesce is going to want to make as much as Severson. I’d be shocked if he signed for less than $5.5M a year.

Burns signed a $5.28M contract last year which is good for another 2 seasons. I can't see the Canes signing Pesce for more than Burns salary, let alone Slavin's salary.

I'd be willing to bet that's where the disconnect is. If so, I'd look at trading him while he's got some value.

Connor Clifton, Scott Mayfield, Travis Hamonic.... all suitable replacement UFAs and cheaper.

20 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

Burns signed a $5.28M contract last year which is good for another 2 seasons. I can't see the Canes signing Pesce for more than Burns salary, let alone Slavin's salary.

I'd be willing to bet that's where the disconnect is. If so, I'd look at trading him while he's got some value.

Connor Clifton, Scott Mayfield, Travis Hamonic.... all suitable replacement UFAs and cheaper.

Not sure where those numbers are coming from.

Burns is on the second to last year of an 8 year contract that pays him an AAV of $8M per year and that was signed well before the cap began to rise.

And Slavin is going to get paiddddd!!! I’d bet my house that he’ll be making $8M plus. If he’s not then it’s only because he took a hometown discount.

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Pie 1

15 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Not sure where those numbers are coming from.

Cap Friendly

SUMMARY

Brent Burns' salary is $5,000,000 and his cap hit is $8,000,000 for the 2023-24 season. His salary is comprised of $2,000,000 in signing bonuses and $3,000,000 in base salary. He is a 38 year old defense who was born on Mar. 9, 1985. He was drafted 20th overall by the Minnesota Wild in the 1st round of the 2003 entry draft. He has signed 4 contracts worth a total value of $108,650,000. Over a career that spans 19 seasons (with at least 1 NHL GP), he has a total 838 Pts in 1333 GP, and 71 playoffs Pts in 109 GP. He will be a UFA at the end of the 2024-25 season when he is 40 years old.

3 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

Cap Friendly

SUMMARY

Brent Burns' salary is $5,000,000 and his cap hit is $8,000,000 for the 2023-24 season. His salary is comprised of $2,000,000 in signing bonuses and $3,000,000 in base salary. He is a 38 year old defense who was born on Mar. 9, 1985. He was drafted 20th overall by the Minnesota Wild in the 1st round of the 2003 entry draft. He has signed 4 contracts worth a total value of $108,650,000. Over a career that spans 19 seasons (with at least 1 NHL GP), he has a total 838 Pts in 1333 GP, and 71 playoffs Pts in 109 GP. He will be a UFA at the end of the 2024-25 season when he is 40 years old.

That’s his salary for this year, not what he signed for.

His salary was front loaded to pay him a ton of money up front but the contract itself was a 8yr./$64M deal that has two years left on it.

As much as I’d love to, we can’t use the argument of ‘Pesce making more than Burns’ as to why we can’t pay him more than $5M per year when Burns is on the end of a $64M contract that was front loaded. In reality, Burns is still averaging $8M a year which is why his cap hit is $8M a year. And that’s a number Pesce won’t come close to.

On 6/19/2023 at 6:08 PM, MillionDollarCam said:

That’s his salary for this year, not what he signed for.

His salary was front loaded to pay him a ton of money up front but the contract itself was a 8yr./$64M deal that has two years left on it.

As much as I’d love to, we can’t use the argument of ‘Pesce making more than Burns’ as to why we can’t pay him more than $5M per year when Burns is on the end of a $64M contract that was front loaded. In reality, Burns is still averaging $8M a year which is why his cap hit is $8M a year. And that’s a number Pesce won’t come close to.

No his contract is still 8m, San Jose retained 33% of his contract per season left. Add another 2.72 to his salary for carolina and that's his actual pay. 

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/sharks

Edited by carpanfan96
  • Pie 2

9 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

No his contract is still 8m, San Jose retained 33% of his contract per season left. Add another 2.72 to his salary for carolina and that's his actual pay. 

Doesn’t effect cap though and cap is what waddle(yes I know it auto corrected but it’s fitting) runs off of. 

3 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Doesn’t effect cap though and cap is what waddle(yes I know it auto corrected but it’s fitting) runs off of. 

No doesn't effect cap but that's what it costs for a top pair defensive player now. 7-10m aav. Slavin is going to want at least 8m aav. 2nd pair is around 5-6m aav and that's what Pesce is going to want. 

2 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

No doesn't effect cap but that's what it costs for a top pair defensive player now. 7-10m aav. Slavin is going to want at least 8m aav. 2nd pair is around 5-6m aav and that's what Pesce is going to want. 

Slavin is going to want 10+ and we are going to pay him 10+, IF Rod is still coach. That’s got to be factored in. 

24 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

As @Harbingersmentioned that doesn’t affect the cap which is what I’ve been saying and which is why I specifically used the terminology AAV (annual average value).

Burns signed an 8YR/$64M contract with San Jose and I’m fully aware that there was retention when he was traded. However, the contract was front loaded and the true value of the contract is essentially Burns getting paid $8M a year even though it may be $10M one year then $7M another then $5M in another, etc. The point being is that the AAV is $8M a year.

In no way can Waddell use the excuse that Burns is only making $5M in real money (and even less from Carolina) this year when the AAV is $8M a year as justification for paying Pesce less money than Burns.

I’d bet my house that if Pesce is extended it will be for more than $5M a year.

Edit - Maybe you meant to quote Anybodyhome cause it looks like you and I are saying the same thing.

Edited by MillionDollarCam