• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brian Burns ranked #7 edge rusher in league by NFL execs, coaches, and scouts

thunderraiden

7 hours ago, thunderraiden said:

Depends on your qb, only works for about 6 to 8 qb in the league. If you qb isn't top end elite you still have to rely on the run game to get into 3rd and manageable situations.

Imagine Bryce playing on 3rd and 3 and 3rd and 2 all the way down the field (sounds great doesnt it?) now imagine it being 3rd and 10 a few times down the field after some unfortunate throws.

Or you run on 1st down and get stuffed, throw on 2nd down and it misses. You are still at 3rd and long. 

Lot's of ways to get to 3rd and long. Lot's of ways to get to 3rd and short. Long story short. It's mcht quicker to move down the field passing the ball than running the ball.

If running the ball is so great? What's up with the Titans. Great RB, decent QB, decent D. Yet always the Brides' maid and never the bride.

2 hours ago, CRA said:

lol.  Go look at the top 10 teams at stopping the run year in and year out.  Generally you will see a trend with those teams.  They actually are good football teams.  

stopping the run is essentially to getting the opponent off the field, generating turnovers, and on and on. 

When you are done with that go look at the worst teams in the league at stopping the run year after year.  They generally have something in common too. 

So you want me to do your research for you? lol 

If you want to show me those stats fine, look them up yourself. 

Stopping the run is ONE part of playing D. Stopping the Pass is just more important.

Stopping the run on the way to the QB is a cliche for a reason.

3 hours ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Gonna be interesting to see how long it takes for people to start complaining we overpayed Burns. It will happen. Unless Burns flips a switch and becomes suddenly dominant. 

Yeah, him being ranked 7th is so far down the list I'm surprised they bothered to add him. 

We have a player getting National attention. And it's still not good enough for some of these...I guess fans? It's so hard to tell when nothing is good enough for them.

58 minutes ago, Gerry Green said:

Yeah, him being ranked 7th is so far down the list I'm surprised they bothered to add him. 

We have a player getting National attention. And it's still not good enough for some of these...I guess fans? It's so hard to tell when nothing is good enough for them.

Yup, because the primary goal is to be included on random esoteric lists and have players get 'national attention' in July. That's what it's all about.

In all seirousness though who has complained about him being included on a list specifcally naming top edge rushers? Looks like most everyone agrees he's pretty good at that skillset, so I'm not sure what your point is.

1 hour ago, Gerry Green said:

Or you run on 1st down and get stuffed, throw on 2nd down and it misses. You are still at 3rd and long. 

Lot's of ways to get to 3rd and long. Lot's of ways to get to 3rd and short. Long story short. It's mcht quicker to move down the field passing the ball than running the ball.

If running the ball is so great? What's up with the Titans. Great RB, decent QB, decent D. Yet always the Brides' maid and never the bride.

Lol ok matt rhule

5 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Yup, because the primary goal is to be included on random esoteric lists and have players get 'national attention' in July. That's what it's all about.

In all seirousnessYo though who has complained about him being included on a list specifcally naming top edge rushers? Looks like most everyone agrees he's pretty good at that skillset, so I'm not sure what your point is.

So you actually didn't read the thread then did you? There are more than a few ppl that claim as he sucks in run support he is rated too highly.  Typical fans undervaluing our own player stuff.

And I agree. Most are happy and proud of Burns. It's just the vocal minority who are dismissive of his accomplishments.

11 minutes ago, Gerry Green said:

So you actually didn't read the thread then did you? There are more than a few ppl that claim as he sucks in run support he is rated too highly.  Typical fans undervaluing our own player stuff.

And I agree. Most are happy and proud of Burns. It's just the vocal minority who are dismissive of his accomplishments.

Accomplishments?

in the biggest game of his career he totally poo the bed.  

Edited by mrcompletely11

1 hour ago, Gerry Green said:

So you want me to do your research for you? lol 

If you want to show me those stats fine, look them up yourself. 

Stopping the run is ONE part of playing D. Stopping the Pass is just more important.

Stopping the run on the way to the QB is a cliche for a reason.

I mean, I know the answer.   I've already looked it up.  Good teams? Can stop the run.  Bad teams can't.  It's a pretty consistent theme year after year after year.  

Carolina hasn't been stopping the run on the way to the QB.  It's part of the reason we have been a bad football team.  QB play and inability to stop the run have been the two major issues w/ this team the past several years.   

and it's easier to stop the pass when you can stop the run.    

Just now, CRA said:

I mean, I know the answer.   I've already looked it up.  Good teams? Can stop the run.  Bad teams can't.  It's a pretty consistent theme year after year after year.  

Carolina hasn't been stopping the run on the way to the QB.  It's part of the reason we have been a bad football team.  QB play and inability to stop the run have been the two major issues w/ this team the past several years.   

We were 8th in yards per run. 

Just now, Gerry Green said:

We were 8th in yards per run. 

We had the 18th ranked rush defense. 

We allowed the 11th most TDs on the ground. 

We allowed the 11th most rushing first downs. 

and we were middle of the pack in terms of the amount of running plays we had to defend.   So it's not like we had to defend an absurdly high number of plays. 

we have been in the bottom half defending the run for the last 4 seasons. 

QB play and rushing defense have easily been the 2 biggest issues for this team the past several years. 

• Pie 3

18 minutes ago, CRA said:

We had the 18th ranked rush defense. 

We allowed the 11th most TDs on the ground. 

We allowed the 11th most rushing first downs. 

and we were middle of the pack in terms of the amount of running plays we had to defend.   So it's not like we had to defend an absurdly high number of plays. 

we have been in the bottom half defending the run for the last 4 seasons. 

QB play and rushing defense have easily been the 2 biggest issues for this team the past several years. 

Oh, I'm sorry. I just don't care anymore. This all started because you basically claimed Burns doesn't deserve to be ranked 7th. I said then, and I'll say it again. You have your opinion. And the rest of us have another. I'll take the word of ppl who are actually in the NFL over yours. 

It just proves my point that too many Panther fans undervalue their own players. 

13 minutes ago, Gerry Green said:

Oh, I'm sorry. I just don't care anymore. This all started because you basically claimed Burns doesn't deserve to be ranked 7th. I said then, and I'll say it again. You have your opinion. And the rest of us have another. I'll take the word of ppl who are actually in the NFL over yours. 

It just proves my point that too many Panther fans undervalue their own players. 

again, this same group of people had him ranked 5th after his first year.  Do you feel that was warranted and correct?