• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What position do we need to solidify our defesne?

Mr ocho nueve

As other have said with an uncapped year it will take 6 years not 4 for a player to be an unrestricted free agent.

As for needs- the three biggest are offensive line depth, quarterback and wide receiver. Unless we get a new coach who wants to change to a 3-4 or different scheme, this year will be about fixing the offense not the defense. The line next year will be a strength instead of a weakness.

I am actually hoping they go mostly offense next year, and tend to agree that our defense is actually fine.

We may want to try to get yet another pass rusher though.

:iagree: Especially if Peppers is trading/walks this offseason.

A SLB to eventually replace Diggs would be a smart acquisition as well.

But yeah, this offense needs an infusion of talent at the skill positions (i.e. a legitimate starting QB and #2 WR are an absolute necessity).

on defense i would say a healthy NT would be the top need. i think we are pretty well stacked at under-tackle but NT...that's a different beast all together.

i wouldn't be opposed to keeping kemo for another year. i would much rather keep him than lewis, that's for sure. NT is at such a premium we'd be fools to just cut him loose. even with a risk of him not being 100% healthy i'd still consider keeping him around and maybe trading him if we can find a healthier and definitively better alternative. no way do we go into next season without one solid option there, though.

if we had to i would feel ok going into next year with kemo, hollis, and leonard at NT and irvin, tank, and even lewis as the 3 tech. with the injury concerns at DT this year and last...we better make sure we are stocked there. this will probably mean being thinner at a couiple other positions but we should be fine.

DE...we only need another there if we lose pep. if we have 6 DTs on the 53 man roster, i'm fine with 4 DEs. having a solid interior of the Dline allows for more freedom from the DEs. i feel good about johnson and brown going forward. brayton is solid and with the question marks we have surrounding peppers i don't think there is any way that we can let him go.

CB...i agree with fiz that we are fine. i can see us replacing marshall but i don't see much need to right now.

LB....only thing i can see us improving is Sam. diggs isn't a liability but he also isn't a strength. he's more of a stop gap. i want to see connor get some experience there and see what he can do. still, that is something that needs to be stronger.

safety...i would like for martin to be the starter. he's a natural FS, he's older and more mature at the position, and he's an earlier draft pick (only gives more reason to start him., imo). godfrey, if he continues to play like he did last week, is solid depth...not much more. i would love to see what he can do as a CB, though. harris is good for a few more years but we need to have a solid backup for him.

NT is the key position that has to be addressed on defense but if we were to focus attention more on taking care of offensive and special team needs, we'd be ok.

all depth positions on offense and defense (especially defense) needs to be filled by solid special team players.

I think it first depends on if a coaching change is made, and if so what type of system comes in. After that has been done, then we can look at position needs. Stop looking so far ahead, I know the season has been disappointing, but enjoy it while it's here. We will have all Jan, Feb, March, April, May and June to worry about needs for next year.

on defense i would say a healthy NT would be the top need. i think we are pretty well stacked at under-tackle but NT...that's a different beast all together.

i wouldn't be opposed to keeping kemo for another year. i would much rather keep him than lewis, that's for sure. NT is at such a premium we'd be fools to just cut him loose. even with a risk of him not being 100% healthy i'd still consider keeping him around and maybe trading him if we can find a healthier and definitively better alternative. no way do we go into next season without one solid option there, though.

if we had to i would feel ok going into next year with kemo, hollis, and leonard at NT and irvin, tank, and even lewis as the 3 tech. with the injury concerns at DT this year and last...we better make sure we are stocked there. this will probably mean being thinner at a couiple other positions but we should be fine.

DE...we only need another there if we lose pep. if we have 6 DTs on the 53 man roster, i'm fine with 4 DEs. having a solid interior of the Dline allows for more freedom from the DEs. i feel good about johnson and brown going forward. brayton is solid and with the question marks we have surrounding peppers i don't think there is any way that we can let him go.

CB...i agree with fiz that we are fine. i can see us replacing marshall but i don't see much need to right now.

LB....only thing i can see us improving is Sam. diggs isn't a liability but he also isn't a strength. he's more of a stop gap. i want to see connor get some experience there and see what he can do. still, that is something that needs to be stronger.

safety...i would like for martin to be the starter. he's a natural FS, he's older and more mature at the position, and he's an earlier draft pick (only gives more reason to start him., imo). godfrey, if he continues to play like he did last week, is solid depth...not much more. i would love to see what he can do as a CB, though. harris is good for a few more years but we need to have a solid backup for him.

NT is the key position that has to be addressed on defense but if we were to focus attention more on taking care of offensive and special team needs, we'd be ok.

all depth positions on offense and defense (especially defense) needs to be filled by solid special team players.

I think the need for a great UT is evident. Our pass rush has been next to none existent this year outside a couple of games. I think a like of interior pressure is a big reason for it. I agree though NT is also a pressing concern (need proof just look at the stats 26th rank rush D) but one I don't see getting addressed before the 2nd day of the draft.

I like Terrell Troup out of UCF. Stands in at 6'3” and is 315lbs of muscle. Is big and good at clogging the hole and good at absorbing blockers, must have qualities for 1 technique. But he also is good at collapsing the pocket. He has been a major reason UCF ranked 4th nationally in rushing defense at 2.58 YPC avg (wow). His blocker-eating ability has allowed his team to make big plays all season long allowing them to finish 5th in sacks with 37. He also has had 80 tackles and 4 sacks the last two years. Troup is most likely going to go in the 4th - 5th range and I think he has starting potential and immediate depth.

Archived