• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Robert Saleh is a blowhard douche

t96

Just now, TheCasillas said:

I am just correcting your statement on it being coachspeak. 

According to Wikipedia, the definition of the phrase "coachspeak" is:
The jargon or pep talks employed by sports coaches

I personally feel like his statement here constitutes as a pep talk, but I understand the confusion since the term here has taken on the meaning as being like you said, politicking and fluff largely in press conferences to keep any real intent hidden from the media/public. As for the Jets themselves I couldn't care less about them, wouldn't be surprised if they do well or just flame out early in the year. Didn't mean to come off as hostile or anything like that with my original post.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, beo said:

It's just coachspeak. Lots of coaches say similar behind closed doors that is kept private as to not give opponents bulletin board material and also not to just appear flat out classless (like a certain Sean Payton). I've not watched hard knocks but isn't a part of the point of it to be entertaining? I doubt that lone quote is the only thing that's played up for the cameras; but even then stuff like that gets said frequently without any cameras. To give a couple of examples I can recall off the top of my head,

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/1/16/14283680/antonio-brown-facebook-live-video-mike-tomlin-assholes-patriots-vs-steelers
https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/packers-coach-defends-kick-chicagos-ass-comment/amp/

There are probably tons more out there but there's a reason this stuff usually stays withheld from the public, and this comment probably would be no exception if the Jets weren't on hard knocks. I just don't see the point in taking issue with a comment that didn't even name us specifically (I think he personally meant the kicking ass quote as a general statement, not as some diss on Carolina specifically) when you can be sure stuff like this gets said on both sides in any game every week of the season lol. 

This is week one of the preseason. Not the regular season which you seemed to be confused about. The goal is to evaluate and learn about different individuals in different situations. Not to win and "kick the opponents ass" at all costs. We didn't scheme anything like they did. That is what the Regular Season (which you keep referring too) is for. The fact that these comments were made in the preseason, about PS players, like they somehow "have the edge" over us because the guys they are going to cut played better than the guys we are going to cut. They also had the luxury of having played a preseason game already so its no surprise they were the more comfortable team. The comments which were made more than once were completely unnecessary and I'm sure Frank Reich would have chosen different wording had the situations been reversed 

• Pie 2

These quotes from Saleh are the equivalent of some neckbeard in his lifted F-150 mashing the gas pedal to angrily speed past some family in an SUV just trying to make it home, then stopping at the next redlight with the SUV pulling up right beside.

Sure, the Truck who put in more effort to the gas pedal was faster at reaching the red light than the family SUV who was cruising, so they beat them there by a few seconds. But ultimately, they both arrived at the red light and have to wait for the green light.

Saleh and the Jets are like that F150. Thinking they're in the Daytona 500, scheming and pressing the gas pedal against the Panthers. Meanwhile, all Carolina was doing was cruising along, with a whole different purpose of just evaluating their team, while the Jets wanted to win the game more than the Panthers cared to.

So, just like two cars meeting at a red light, so will the Panthers and Jets be when the regular season starts at 0-0. Gloating about a preseason beatdown is hilariously short sighted and Saleh has a lot cut out for him if he's taking too many victory laps over a scrimmage game.

• Pie 2

4 hours ago, Saca312 said:

These quotes from Saleh are the equivalent of some neckbeard in his lifted F-150 mashing the gas pedal to angrily speed past some family in an SUV just trying to make it home, then stopping at the next redlight with the SUV pulling up right beside.

Sure, the Truck who put in more effort to the gas pedal was faster at reaching the red light than the family SUV who was cruising, so they beat them there by a few seconds. But ultimately, they both arrived at the red light and have to wait for the green light.

Saleh and the Jets are like that F150. Thinking they're in the Daytona 500, scheming and pressing the gas pedal against the Panthers. Meanwhile, all Carolina was doing was cruising along, with a whole different purpose of just evaluating their team, while the Jets wanted to win the game more than the Panthers cared to.

So, just like two cars meeting at a red light, so will the Panthers and Jets be when the regular season starts at 0-0. Gloating about a preseason beatdown is hilariously short sighted and Saleh has a lot cut out for him if he's taking too many victory laps over a scrimmage game.

The only thing is that his remarks are not even directly referring to us. It's just Huddlers being reactionary because we had an awful showing in our first preseason game under the direction of our shiny new coaching staff. Some people are making a connection where there wasn't one.

Saleh obviously didn't want to have the second joint practice for sure, but in our case, the weather and field conditions were a convenient excuse. He made the joint decision with Reich to call off the practice. He really wanted to have a solo practice in order to motivate his team to have a better showing than it did the week prior. That may be the reason they had the stunts on defense.

He may have put the pedal to the medal to a degree, but that's arguably what he's supposed to do in the second preseason game. And, arguably, our veteran O-line should've handled it better. 

As for gloating and taking "victory laps" over handing us our ass, I don't see it. The comments that he made about second joint practices being a potential powder keg complete with unnecessary injuries due to hurt feelings and stepped-on toes is certainly not indicative of gloating or going over the top about preseason victories.  

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 1