• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young hot take

Zod

26 minutes ago, Mage said:

And it would be foolish to do so.

Maybe Young doesn't work out.  But it is 2 weeks into his rookie season.  It would be just as wrong to write him off and laugh at his performance even if he wasn't a Carolina Panther.  It isn't like he's looked flat-out terrible.  He's looked like a rookie playing in a bad offense.

Less than 100 yards passing for almost an entire game is abysmal. No he isn't a sure fire bust and we cannot write him off but at the same time some of ya'll need to just admit your standards have sunken below the earth's crust. We didn't draft this kid in the mid rounds. We traded a haul to select him.

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 4

Just now, Mage said:

I really don't know why you keep pushing this narrative.  Just because he's short doesn't mean he can't make the throws.  Jared Goff has had a very successful NFL career and his arm is about the same as Young's.  Again, a middle ground exists.  No, Young doesn't need Tyreek and Waddle.  But as a rookie trying to adapt to the NFL, he needs something better than Thielen and Hurst.  Is that really unreasonable to ask?

The difference is I am willing to accept that Young may not work out.  I think he will, but I accept it as a possibility.  Whereas, with all due respect because you are a very intelligent football fan, you seem so stuck in your belief that Young doesn't have the talent, so on and so forth.  It is not unreasonable for people give leeway to a rookie QB after his 2nd game in an offense devoid of talent.  Young is not playing all that worse than a lot of No. 1 Picks in similar situations, Goff included.  That does not guarantee he will have the career Goff has had, but in knowing that, it seems foolish to try and put a cap on his potential as you continue to do.

Where have I mentioned his height? His height is far less concerning to me at this point than his arm talent. I honestly haven't seen a starting QB around the NFL this year who has lesser arm talent. He hasn't shown any ability to generate velocity. So if you want to try to drift ducks around the field you better have a helluva OL and WRs who can create miles of separation to make that work.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, frankw said:

Less than 100 yards passing for almost an entire game is abysmal. No he isn't a sure fire bust and we cannot write him off but at the same time some of ya'll need to just admit your standards have sunken below the earth's crust. We didn't draft this kid in the mid rounds. We traded a haul to select him.

Trevor Lawrence threw for 118 yards in his 2nd NFL game.

No, my expectations haven't sunken.  It is ya'll who have unreasonable expectations for how a rookie QB looks in a bad offense.

Just now, Mage said:

No, my expectations haven't sunken.  It is ya'll who have unreasonable expectations for how a rookie QB looks in a bad offense.

My guy Jimmy Clausen is the only bar I expect any Panthers QB to surpass. That is not an unreasonable expectation.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Where have I mentioned his height? His height is far less concerning to me at this point than his arm talent. I honestly haven't seen a starting QB around the NFL this year who has lesser arm talent. 

I  disagree, but neither of us will change our mind on it so fair enough.  I think his arm is absolutely on par with guys like Tua, Burrow, and Goff.

Just now, frankw said:

My guy Jimmy Clausen is the only bar I expect any Panthers QB to surpass. That is not an unreasonable expectation.

If you think Bryce Young has looked like Jimmy Clausen, then your football opinion means very little to me.

Again, Lawrence only threw for 118 yards in his 2nd game.  Did he also fall below your Clausen bar?

2 minutes ago, Mage said:

I don't care about the stat sheet. Watch the player. Where are the throws that show NFL arm talent? Where are the plays that make you think "okay, I see why we gambled on this guy". I just don't see it. I don't expect to see an elite QB right now. I just want to see flashes of talent that makes me believe that he can become elite. I'm just not seeing them. 

• Pie 3

4 hours ago, Frank9999 said:

Where do you see this? I see lot of inaccuracy and struggling to make decisions 

It's hard to make decisions when the wr aren't getting separation on 98% of their routes. Every throw has to be perfect and that is damn near impossible in the NFL. The skill positions have got to help him out

• Pie 1

Just now, Mage said:

If you think Bryce Young has looked like Jimmy Clausen, then your football opinion means very little to me.

Again, Lawrence only threw for 118 yards in his 2nd game.  Did he also fall below your Clausen bar?

Drew Brees Josh Allen Trevor Lawrence do you not see that you folks are just aimlessly throwing out names hoping something sticks so you can comfort yourself?

• Pie 1

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't care about the stat sheet. Watch the player. Where are the throws that show NFL arm talent? Where are the plays that make you think "okay, I see why we gambled on this guy". I just don't see it. I don't expect to see an elite QB right now. I just want to see flashes of talent that makes me believe that he can become elite. I'm just not seeing them. 

:58 second mark

The ability to make that throw while not on a solid base and rolling out to his left.  That is not an easy throw for a lot of guys.

But again, we both watch the games.  Clearly you have come away with a different take than I have.  Between his tape at Alabama and what I have seen thus far, I don't think his arm or lack thereof will be the reason why he fails, if he fails.  What makes you think his arm is lesser than the QBs I've mentioned thus far?

2 minutes ago, frankw said:

Drew Brees Josh Allen Trevor Lawrence do you not see that you folks are just aimlessly throwing out names hoping something sticks so you can comfort yourself?

You criticized Young for barely eclipsing 100 passing yards.  I responded by saying Lawrence, a fellow No. 1 pick who had a terrible offense around him as a rookie, also barely threw for 100 yards in his 2nd game.  Not sure how that is "aimlessly throwing out names."  It seems like you just don't know what you are talking about.

3 minutes ago, Mage said:

:58 second mark

The ability to make that throw while not on a solid base and rolling out to his left.  That is not an easy throw for a lot of guys.

But again, we both watch the games.  Clearly you have come away with a different take than I have.  Between his tape at Alabama and what I have seen thus far, I don't think his arm or lack thereof will be the reason why he fails, if he fails.  What makes you think his arm is lesser than the QBs I've mentioned thus far?

Watching the games and seeing the wounded ducks. Seeing him sail touch throws and put drive throws into the turf. He's trying to make sure any miss is safe because he doesn't trust his arm to fit it in there because when he does try it's usually a hold your breath 50/50 ball. You have one throw to hang your hat on. I have the rest of the tape.