• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Should Panthers keep all 3 current tight ends?

KatsAzz

Really? Jake rarely chose to use them?? Then how did King & Rosario have more TDs than Smitty in the first few games of the season this year then? Yeah, he rarely chose to use them. :P:lol:

And we need to keep all 3 TEs. They're very serviceable for us, so we should keep them as long as we can. And they're quite cheap too. :thumbsup:

I think he meant Jake was rarely able to throw the ball accurately to them, unless they were within 5 yards of the line of scrimage. :)

I think we need to keep all three, I think each Tight end we have has there own different set of skills and depth isnt a bad thing to have in the NFL. I like Rosarios Catching skills, King is the big guy who can block and can make that endzone catch(so can Rosario) and Barnidge seems to be a good prospect that could be our future starter. I love our tight ends group right now actually.

King is the last tight end we should let go. It's not even worth discussing.

It's embarrassing that many panther fans don't realize his worth and how significant his blocking is to our running game. They think the running game is successful just because of two players and ignore all the work that the other players do to make us one of the best running teams in the league. They call themselves fans of the team, but they only pay attention to 5 players total on the roster.

Don't post in a thread about our tight ends if you don't pay attention to their play or even understand the role they're supposed to play. kthx

Right. Because being part of an offensive line that blocked for two 1,100 yard rushers is something everybody has done. And make no mistake about it, the TE in our system is essentially another tackle on most plays. We run out of a lot of strong formations and King is by FAR the best we have in terms of blocking. His hands are also decent enough to play first team snaps.

We did a lot of running last year behind King and Otah on the right side with Moose over there as well. Holes exploded open. Fortunately for the short attention span crowd, our coaches are able to identify valuable blocking on tape. It seems like some folks here think that a 40 yard pass reception is just as valuable as grinding out a 200 yard day on the ground and that the only guy that gets credit for making a play is the guy that gets the yardage.

I have said this many times. Go ask Double Trouble who they want at starting TE on most plays. That will create your definitive answer right there. I would bet dimes to donuts they would say Jeff King is the best guy for the job.

Gary Barnidge is a glorified WR at the TE position. In fact, they should try him out of the slot against nickel corners and see how he does. Rosario is the best pure receiving TE of the bunch, but he is also a below average blocker.

King

Rosario

Barnidge

That is the depth chart and how it should stay until we convert into a pass first offense, if we ever do.

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!! What he said.

You don't mess with success. King can block and catch. He may not burn up the field with YAC but he gets the job done. I like Barnidge but until he can block like King there is no way we change the Depth Chart.

Go Panthers

King is the last tight end we should let go. It's not even worth discussing.

It's embarrassing that many panther fans don't realize his worth and how significant his blocking is to our running game. They think the running game is successful just because of two players and ignore all the work that the other players do to make us one of the best running teams in the league. They call themselves fans of the team, but they only pay attention to 5 players total on the roster.

Don't post in a thread about our tight ends if you don't pay attention to their play or even understand the role they're supposed to play. kthx

I agree, a lot of people dont realize that tight ends are suposed to be blockers, instead people think if they arent getting a bunch of catching yards then they arent good. I think that we have Rosario for catching but other than that we focus on running the ball which means we need tight ends that can block. Sure having a tight end that can put up 1,000 recieving yards is nice but if he cant block then its pointless having him on the field. A tight end is pretty much another O-linemen that can catch the ball if need be.

With a run oriented offense, we need capable TEs for their blocking, for the play-option, and depth as well. I think it is a sin that our TEs don't have better receiving numbers, but that's an indictment of (mainly) Jake than anything else. I hope Moore spreads the ball around more to them if he gets the starting nod. To do so will open up opportunities for the WRs, and should ease up on the defense being able to double on Smitty on ALL plays. Keeping those 3 at TE isn't such a bad thing, you can't have enough good blockers. If any of them might be good trade bait, I have no problem with being explored.

It's not like we will get any picks or good trade value for them. Keep all three, they are solid for our system.

Our system needs to change!

We need to include the TE's more in our passing game, espcially with our WR issues. We need a blocker and and a TE who can catch the ball.

I think that you could make a case that Barnidge is our best all around tight end. He is a better blocker than Rosario and a better receiver than King at this point. He is quicker than both and has improved every year. He is an asset in the passing and running game.

Barnidge being a good blocker results in getting knocked to the ground almost every running play? oh.

Archived