• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trade Burns for Jaylon Johnson and some picks

Varking

2 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

This is a pretty stupid argument - what's our record with any starter? We might as well get rid of the entire team because they all have an abysmal record as starters.

I mean to be fair, we could get rid of most of the team. We have like 6 guys that are valuable and the rest are pretty "meh". 

1 minute ago, Varking said:

I mean to be fair, we could get rid of most of the team. We have like 6 guys that are valuable and the rest are pretty "meh". 

Difference is people seem to be more than happy to show the one of those valuable guys the door.

I mean this is the problem by the way - we have been in a talent drain and continue to be more than willing to show those few players that are worth keeping the door. Meanwhile we keep whiffing on picks. Eventually the entire team will be made of JAGs.

Edited by UNCrules2187

11 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

This is a pretty stupid argument - what's our record with any starter? We might as well get rid of the entire team because they all have an abysmal record as starters.

At 1-6 that's not the worst idea.  A lot of teams are in sell mode that have our record.  It's also silly to not want any draft picks because we can't draft well.  Fitt just has his first draft without Rhule and it's way to early to judge it, plus who knows if he will still be our GM or not.  

7 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

Difference is people seem to be more than happy to show the one of those valuable guys the door.

I mean this is the problem by the way - we have been in a talent drain and continue to be more than willing to show those few players that are worth keeping the door. Meanwhile we keep whiffing on picks. Eventually the entire team will be made of JAGs.

You are sold on Bryce or no? Burns is a one dimensional player. He is great at creating pressure and he gets abused in the run game at times. I would love to keep him but is that worth 30 million a year? And in my scenario I listed in the opening thread, we were receiving back a player who is absolutely NOT a JAG. 

9 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

Some people think it's a bad idea to give one play that can have minimal impact on our record as shown by the past 5 years 30 plus million a year when we have so many holes in the roster right now.  If we were in the playoff hunt and ready to contend then sure throw some money at a player than could push us over the edge vs competition.  We are not there yet.

1 minute ago, Varking said:

You are sold on Bryce or no? Burns is a one dimensional player. He is great at creating pressure and he gets abused in the run game at times. I would love to keep him but is that worth 30 million a year? And in my scenario I listed in the opening thread, we were receiving back a player who is absolutely NOT a JAG. 

I don't buy this argument. Burns is a one dimensional player, sure, but that one dimension is one of the most valuable dimensions to be great at. Is he a great run defender? No, subpar at best. Have you taken a look at the rest of this defense in terms of run defense? Maybe transitioning to a 3-4 and then not signing or retaining a single NT worth a damn or apparently focusing on tackling has more to do with our piss poor run defense than Burns.

I'm in pay Burns camp. The only trades I'd entertain are those that bring at least two firsts, or a first and a real established offensive player back (e.g. Davante Adams). Absent that, give the man his money. In a league where Rashan Gary is worth $27m per, yes Burns is worth $30m per.

Just now, ForJimmy said:

Some people think it's a bad idea to give one play that can have minimal impact on our record as shown by the past 5 years 30 plus million a year when we have so many holes in the roster right now.  If we were in the playoff hunt and ready to contend then sure throw some money at a player than could push us over the edge vs competition.  We are not there yet.

Not just that but we also have to pay Brown at some point, right? Brown and Burns have been together for a few years now. Our run defense has been atrocious the whole time and they make up half the defensive line. I think Brown is solid against the run so I can't fault him. Which means we need to look at the other 3 and I think its pretty clear that Burns, who I like, is a pass rusher only and when he gets any positive play against the run its a bonus because most of the time he is a liability in the run. 

1 hour ago, OceanRider said:

Who’s going to pass rush if burns is gone? 

I am skeptical of trading away what little talent we have left here. Not like we are going to make a playoff run this year. 

These people are Madden GMs. They want to trade our best player just so we can get a 1st Rd pick in the draft. That gives them something to discuss in the off-season.

If people expecting us to trade Burns today they out of touch with reality.

1 minute ago, UNCrules2187 said:

I don't buy this argument. Burns is a one dimensional player, sure, but that one dimension is one of the most valuable dimensions to be great at. Is he a great run defender? No, subpar at best. Have you taken a look at the rest of this defense in terms of run defense? Maybe transitioning to a 3-4 and then not signing or retaining a single NT worth a damn or apparently focusing on tackling has more to do with our piss poor run defense than Burns.

I'm in pay Burns camp. The only trades I'd entertain are those that bring at least two firsts, or a first and a real established offensive player back (e.g. Davante Adams). Absent that, give the man his money. In a league where Rashan Gary is worth $27m per, yes Burns is worth $30m per.

I am pro-Burns. But I do fully believe he is bad in the run game. I would also like to pay Burns and keep him. But if we can't come to a deal then we need to get something of value in return for him rather than let him walk or have all the leverage against us in negotiations. 

1 minute ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

These people are Madden GMs. They want to trade our best player just so we can get a 1st Rd pick in the draft. That gives them something to discuss in the off-season.

If people expecting us to trade Burns today they out of touch with reality.

Burns is absolutely not our best player and I haven't played Madden in like 10 years. 

Edited by Varking
  • Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Varking said:

Burns is absolutely not our best player and I haven't played Madden in like 10 years. 

I wasn't referring to you Varking you're one of the few good posters around. I'm just saying in general some of these people want a trade just because.

I get it we have no 1st round pick. It would be nice to have one, but it would just create more problems for the roster because now we have no pass rush. 

We don't need to make any more moves with Fitt as GM.

Just now, CamWhoaaCam said:

I wasn't referring to you Varking you're one of the few good posters around. I'm just saying in general some of these people want a trade just because.

I get it we have no 1st round pick. It would be nice to have one, but it would just create more problems for the roster because now we have no pass rush. 

We don't need to make any more moves with Fitt as GM.

I don't want a trade just because. I haven't made a single trade thread or comment until this thread here. I, too, would like Fitterer gone. It would create a hole on defense but Evero's defense in Denver didn't get home a ton on the QB either. They had an elite corner in the secondary ( and I think Johnson and Horn would give us 2 ) and they blitzed linebackers. And I like Luvu better than what Denver had last year. We could make up for the loss with just a smidge of creativity. 

But on the Fitt topic, I wish but don't see Tep giving him walking papers.