• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Canes vs Flyers 7:30

Panthers Fan 69

41 minutes ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

Orlov was out of position on the last two goals again. This guy has legit been horrendous signing for us, and clearly not a good fit.

The whole team sucked rod. You can't turn the puck over in front of the goal. And even the announcer said that Philly scored by "just throwing the puck at the net", something we aren't doing.

• Beer 1

8 hours ago, cookinbrak said:

The whole team sucked rod. You can't turn the puck over in front of the goal. And even the announcer said that Philly scored by "just throwing the puck at the net", something we aren't doing.

Totally out of synch, Staal called them out after the game, something is wrong defensively, only two playing well are Brady and Slavin

• Beer 1

There are plenty of issues with this team right now. And, believe it or not, more than a few of us on this board saw them all coming before the season started.

1. July signing of Orlov. Needed to fill the roster with the UFA departures of Ghost, DeHaan, Gardiner and LaJoie. But the guy's getting paid $2.5 more than Slavin and his ice time is with the 3rd pair? He's only played a full season 3 times during his 11 year career and, imagine this, those were the seasons he exceeded 25 points. I'm not sure what the thought process here was, but it caused more problems than it solved. The D is extremely suspect at best and there should never have been any expectations for offensive production.

2. July signing of Tony DeAngelo. As if the Orlov signing didn't create more problems than it solved, the Canes thought they could resuscitate TDA from life supports after he was all but fired from the Flyers last season. I get it, he was good his last go-round in Carolina, but rarely do things go well when trying to rekindle an old affair.

We all saw it coming and what happened next wasn't a surprise to me- I won't speak for anyone else. The defensive pairings are a nightmare after Slavin and Burns. Sure, Pesce and Skjei will be their usual, consistent selves. But let's not forget, the Canes tried to move Pesce because, lo and behold, TDA, Chatty, Pesce and Skjei are all UFAs after the season. The Canes may be able to retain the services of 2 of these guys- preferably Skjei and Chatfield.

Chatfield and Orlov do not skate well together. Chatty is playing exceptionally well this season, but RBA continues to pair him in difficult situations on his off side with Orlov or covering for the defensive liability that TDA can be. At least Chatfield has a history and on-ice knowledge and experience of playing with TDA.

Anyway, just as much of us called in a few months ago, it's certainly playing out as we thought it would.

With respect to the forwards, it's this easy- find out what's working with your top 2 lines and stop juggling every other game. Regardless, here are the issues:

1. Svech should continue to have his minutes limited and not be on the top line. Not until February or so. Let him get a few goals and get his knee up to game strength. He's not fully there yet.

2. Jarvis is always better on the second line with KK and he seems to play a lot better at center, at least from what I've seen. So maybe put him on the 4th line C.

3. Drury does not fit on this roster. Both Noesen and Fast are playing well, but would be a lot more productive with Jarvis or KK at center. Drury needs to be traded (can he play on the wing?).

My lines would be:

Bunting - Aho - Teravainen

Svech - KK - Necas

Marty - Staal - Fast

Noesen - Drury (or ?) -  Jarvis

The team is a mess right now. More talent on the roster than they've had for the last 3 seasons and playing like an average team, getting beat by average teams.

I would submit for your consideration that both Orlov and Drury are both trade deadline moves, if not before. But Orlov will be a difficult trade given the disparity between his salary and his productivity, unless he has a major breakthrough. 

And, do you really want to get into the goalies? Not me. I don't trust either of them. Zero consistency in either of their games. On one game, no-shows the next. No expectations for these guys- just hope for the best whoever shows up in the crease that night.

Edited by Anybodyhome
  • Pie 1
  • Flames 1

26 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

There are plenty of issues with this team right now. And, believe it or not, more than a few of us on this board saw them all coming before the season started.

1. July signing of Orlov. Needed to fill the roster with the UFA departures of Ghost, DeHaan, Gardiner and LaJoie. But the guy's getting paid $2.5 more than Slavin and his ice time is with the 3rd pair? He's only played a full season 3 times during his 11 year career and, imagine this, those were the seasons he exceeded 25 points. I'm not sure what the thought process here was, but it caused more problems than it solved. The D is extremely suspect at best and there should never have been any expectations for offensive production.

2. July signing of Tony DeAngelo. As if the Orlov signing didn't create more problems than it solved, the Canes thought they could resuscitate TDA from life supports after he was all but fired from the Flyers last season. I get it, he was good his last go-round in Carolina, but rarely do things go well when trying to rekindle an old affair.

We all saw it coming and what happened next wasn't a surprise to me- I won't speak for anyone else. The defensive pairings are a nightmare after Slavin and Burns. Sure, Pesce and Skjei will be their usual, consistent selves. But let's not forget, the Canes tried to move Pesce because, lo and behold, TDA, Chatty, Pesce and Skjei are all UFAs after the season. The Canes may be able to retain the services of 2 of these guys- preferably Skjei and Chatfield.

Chatfield and Orlov do not skate well together. Chatty is playing exceptionally well this season, but RBA continues to pair him in difficult situations on his off side with Orlov or covering for the defensive liability that TDA can be. At least Chatfield has a history and on-ice knowledge and experience of playing with TDA.

Anyway, just as much of us called in a few months ago, it's certainly playing out as we thought it would.

With respect to the forwards, it's this easy- find out what's working with your top 2 lines and stop juggling every other game. Regardless, here are the issues:

1. Svech should continue to have his minutes limited and not be on the top line. Not until February or so. Let him get a few goals and get his knee up to game strength. He's not fully there yet.

2. Jarvis is always better on the second line with KK and he seems to play a lot better at center, at least from what I've seen. So maybe put him on the 4th line C.

3. Drury does not fit on this roster. Both Noesen and Fast are playing well, but would be a lot more productive with Jarvis or KK at center. Drury needs to be traded (can he play on the wing?).

My lines would be:

Bunting - Aho - Teravainen

Svech - KK - Necas

Marty - Staal - Fast

Noesen - Drury (or ?) -  Jarvis

The team is a mess right now. More talent on the roster than they've had for the last 3 seasons and playing like an average team, getting beat by average teams.

I would submit for your consideration that both Orlov and Drury are both trade deadline moves, if not before. But Orlov will be a difficult trade given the disparity between his salary and his productivity, unless he has a major breakthrough. 

And, do you really want to get into the goalies? Not me. I don't trust either of them. Zero consistency in either of their games. On one game, no-shows the next. No expectations for these guys- just hope for the best whoever shows up in the crease that night.

We need to give halak a shot. Pytor isn’t a 1A. Raanta is obviously injured. Freddie is the king of injuries(though I get this is far far bigger than a hockey thing and I hope it’s not the end for him but usually blood thinners, as others have pointed out, usually mean the end of a contact sports career). 

I wouldn’t fug with the defense. Though honestly I’d think about jumbling the lines. Orlov cannot be left on an island.. Slavin, Skjei and Pesce can. If our PP isn’t producing TDA needs to be gone. 

Id pull Drury and put Lameiux in or fug it. Try Pono or Suzuki. 

Edited by Harbingers
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Harbingers said:

We need to give halak a shot. Pytor isn’t a 1A. Raanta is obviously injured. Freddie is the king of injuries(though I get this is far far bigger than a hockey thing and I hope it’s not the end for him but usually blood thinners, as others have pointed out, usually mean the end of a contact sports career). 

I wouldn’t fug with the defense. Though honestly I’d think about jumbling the lines. Orlov cannot be left on an island.. Slavin, Skjei and Pesce can. If our PP isn’t producing TDA needs to be gone. 

Id pull Drury and put Lameiux in or fug it. Try Pono or Suzuki. 

Kooch was not the issue last night. Other than the first goal the other two weren’t on him and he played quite well. Actually, the defense is still out of position with Orlov and we have guys on offense  that are trying to do too much and or can’t score. If the team just gets back to the forecheck and wears teams down will be fine. 

• Beer 1