• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What happens from here

Mr. Scot

13 hours ago, RayRedd said:

David Tepper is not involved in football operations.

I feel pretty comfortable saying that meddling counts as "involvement". Weekly meetings with the head coach sound pretty involved as well.

It's pretty universally understood that he's a hands on owner. 

Edited by Mr. Scot

On 12/6/2023 at 3:16 PM, Mr. Scot said:

With everything that's out there now, a full-on house cleaning is probably...no, definitely...the only viable option.

Here's what I can tell you about that based on what I've seen from previous teams over the years...

COACHING

Obviously, we were already getting a new head coach. Will that new head coach be somebody that's currently on staff? I suppose that's possible, but it's kind of hard to imagine given the level of dysfunction we've seen this year.

As far as coaching assistants, you can expect a new head coach will want to hire his own staff without interference or suggestions from ownership or the front office. In truth, that's pretty normal for most NFL teams, but wasn't for us this past offseason.

Is there a chance Evero and the guys on the defensive side of the ball stay? Yes, but I don't know how much of one. It's still possible, even if unlikely, that Evero gets a shot at a head coaching gig. Even if he doesn't though, a better opportunity than working for the version of the Panthers organization that he experienced this season could very easily present itself. And of course, it's entirely conceivable that the new head coach might just prefer somebody else.

FRONT OFFICE

On the management side, regardless of anyone's (including David Tepper's) opinion on Scott Fitterer, it's necessary at this point to install a new GM. No head coach is going to want to work for a GM who's been reported to have gone to the owner about the prior head coach behind his back. That's way too toxic and atmosphere to ask anyone to accept.

What about Dan Morgan and the rest of the personnel people? Good chance they could stay through at least this year's draft because it's pretty tough to build a complete front office that quick. Once the draft and the bulk of free agency are over though, it's be no surprise for a lot of them to be gone as well in favor of who the new GM wants to have in place.

TIMELINE

So coaching staff turnover will most likely be complete before the draft, by the summer at the latest. Front office turnover should at the very least begin later in the year, but could quite easily stretch into next year also.

It's relatively rare for coaching staffs, but not unusual for front offices to be partially rebuilt over more than one season. There's less immediacy in that sort of thing. Heck, even under Fitterer not everything changed at once. Some guys will likely be given a chance to stay and prove themselves, and either they will or they won't (similar to what happened here with Pat Stewart).

WHOS IN CHARGE?

And the question on a lot of people's minds, will there be a "team president" or "chief consultant" helping make the decisions?

On that front, your guess is as good as mine.

I know there are some who want a Jim Harbaugh / Bill Belichick type to run everything. I don't, and after the experience with Matt Rhule I'm not sure David Tepper will either. Also have to wonder just how much a guy like that would put up with Tepper (or vice versa).

If there is a team president, my long-standing preference would be that the job go to Kevin Colbert. He's got an impeccable resumé as a team builder, and perhaps more to the point he's well known to David Tepper. There were rumors a few years ago that Tepper was going to try and lure him to Carolina as GM. Whether or not he's still an option in that role or some other form is hard to say, but we can hope.

Barring the hiring of a "football czar" though, my current choices for our top jobs would be Brandon Hunt at GM and Frank Smith as head coach.

Hunt was reported to be Colbert's heir apparent in Pittsburgh before they interviewed everybody under the sun (including Dan Morgan) and finally settled on giving the job to Omar Khan. Hunt left for a role with the Eagles shortly thereafter, but he's known to both Colbert and Tepper. Experience with two strong organizations certainly doesn't hurt either.

As far as Smith, he certainly has experience working with an undersized quarterback and has a lot of buzz as a future head coach going for him. Mind you, I don't know of any  connection between Smith and Hunt so if Hunt had someone else in mind (perhaps from the Steelers or the Eagles) they might have a better shot. I would like to think Smith would at least get an interview though.

Ben Johnson? I'd like him a lot, but knowing now that people with the team (probably Duce Staley, maybe also Shawn Jefferson as someone else pointed out) have warned him about the Panthers, it's kind of hard to imagine. That is, unless his desire to come back home and coach the team he watched as a kid is stronger than those other factors.

Some have suggested that he might come here if he gets to choose his own GM, but nothing I've read about Johnson makes me think he's that sort of coach. Nor do I know at this time of any particular connection he has with a personnel type in Detroit or elsewhere. He came to the Lions based on connection with Dan Campbell, not anyone in the front office.

BOTTOM LINE

It probably goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway...

No matter what else happens - who gets hired, who gets fired, whatever - the most key thing that has to happen is still that David Tepper needs to remove himself from the football operations.

If that doesn't occur, pretty good chance that none of the other moves make any difference.

Coaching.........nothing as long as Tepper runs the show.

Front office..........nothing as long as Tepper runs the show.

Timeline.........nothing as long as Tepper runs the show.

Who is in charge...........Tepper 

Bottom Line..............you are stuck with Tepper until you are not stuck with him.

There I saved a lot of space...........

I actually don't have as much of a problem with Tepper's "meddling" as many do. I would much prefer an owner that will do whatever he thinks is necessary to win to one who doesn't care at all and just cashes a check.

The problem is that he has absolutely no clue how to run a football organization and no respect for what was here before he got here.

When he got here, the team was coming off 4 playoff appearances in 5 years and while not perfect, was in an enviable position by over half the league. That was not a team that needed to be dismantled as quickly as possible and rebuilt.

If he had made the right decisions, we would see his "meddling" a lot differently. Look at Tom Dundon in Raleigh. He manages the team in a very similar way and no one has an issue with it. Why? Because he's not a moron.

My overall point is this: You can meddle or you can be a moron. But you CAN'T do both.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, IndyPanther said:

I actually don't have as much of a problem with Tepper's "meddling" as many do. I would much prefer an owner that will do whatever he thinks is necessary to win to one who doesn't care at all and just cashes a check.

The problem is that he has absolutely no clue how to run a football organization and no respect for what was here before he got here.

When he got here, the team was coming off 4 playoff appearances in 5 years and while not perfect, was in an enviable position by over half the league. That was not a team that needed to be dismantled as quickly as possible and rebuilt.

If he had made the right decisions, we would see his "meddling" a lot differently. Look at Tom Dundon in Raleigh. He manages the team in a very similar way and no one has an issue with it. Why? Because he's not a moron.

My overall point is this: You can meddle or you can be a moron. But you CAN'T do both.

you should root for the Colts...

The Panthers bend over and kiss their asses goodbye. This mess can't be rectified in one season (maybe not even three or four).

Accept the fact that they have dug themselves a hole that even Teppers money can't fix quick.

More terrible seasons on the horizon.... Buckle up.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

36 minutes ago, Jmac said:

The Panthers bend over and kiss their asses goodbye. This mess can't be rectified in one season (maybe not even three or four).

Accept the fact that they have dug themselves a hole that even Teppers money can't fix quick.

More terrible seasons on the horizon.... Buckle up.

sheeeit...I was saying this sht in 2020...

Edited by Johnstonny

1 hour ago, IndyPanther said:

I actually prefer the guy who just writes a check because few if any of them have any clue what they're doing.