• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So.. I had an epiphany last night...

Samuel L. Jackson

Maybe the reason I let some folks kind of walk over me in life is because I don't call out the bullshit as I see it... Prepare for a lengthy story that could end up being Tinderbox worthy...

So, wifey and I decide to head out to a sit-down dinner last night just because we didn't feel like making anything at the house... We chose an Applebees...

We are like 2 out of 20 people in the entire place... Our waitress gets our drink order, returns with them (and leaves no straws), then comes back and takes our order and thankfully gives us straws upon my request...

Wifey and I were both very hungry, as she's preggo, and I'm just a fatass... So we ordered an appetizer of mozzarella sticks...

We wait and wait, for at least 35-40 minutes, and then another waitress brings out our meals... No sign of mozzarella sticks... We tell this waitress that we had ordered some and that we hadn't gotten them yet... Now our meal was there, and there was no point in getting an appetizer, but I told her just to bring them out anyways and we'd get a box to take them home... After she leaves our table, our waitress stops by and asks if everything is good... I told her about the mozzarella sticks and she realizes she never brought them out... She goes and returns with some a few moments later, and states that ours had been sitting out there, so she made us a fresh batch instead... Ok, whatever... I was cool with all that, just a little annoyed...

Then came the fun part... A party of three were sat in the booth behind us... It was two older women and a younger guy... One lady sat on the side of the booth with the younger guy, and I could immediately tell that there were involved in some sort of relationship...

This was later verified, as I saw her basically keep her face within a couple inches of his the majority of time, continuously talk into his ear, and kiss him... Our waitress came to take their drink order and the same lady immediately starts talking so all 20 people in the restaurant, stating how she wanted a martini and wanted so-and-so to make it because he knew how she liked it... generally just making her presence known to everyone in the vicinity...

She also proceeded to order some wings, in the bone... Her wings were brought out within 5 minutes, and after the waitress left, she proceeded to exclaim aloud how that these wings just would not do because they were too spicy, and that they would put her in the hospital, and if they did, she was going to be taking someone from the restaurant with her and getting a free meal... After a minute or so of loud complaining, she gets up, basket of wings in hand, and proclaims that she will go find the waitress and tell her to make another batch of non-spicy ones to replace them...

When she returns to her seat, there is a lot of chit-chat between her and the young guy, most of which is one sided... her being the one side...

In that process, just by being in the booth next to her (even though I am sure everyone in the restaurant heard this as well), I learned the following:

She was 43... the young guy was 23...

She had been in prison at some point, because she proudly boasted this as she was describing how she was not afraid of the young guy's girlfriend...apparently the girlfriend had threatened the older lady about meeting her man at a hotel or something...

She had plans for the two of them that night, which involved something related to motor oil, and that if the young guy was too tired, she would send him home and he could just look at the pictures she had taken for him and that she would call some other guy named Rico or something...

Also, she was lecturing the younger guy about the 15 year old he was also apparently having sex with, to which he responded that she wasn't 15, to which she responded that she (the older lady) was just going on what the girl had told her...

Needless to say, wifey and I were ready to get the hell out of there and not have to listen to any more of the sickening life story of this lady... Our check couldn't come fast enough, and when it did, we were out...

When we got into the car, I told my wife that it would have been so nice to tell the lady to shut the hell up... Of course, I and most people restrain themselves in those types of situations... But then came the epiphany...

Why?

Maybe that is what is wrong with the world... Maybe I should start calling out the bullshit when I see it rather than just being the better person and biting my tongue...

How would you have reacted? I didn't want to get the restaurant folk involved, because they were just running a business, and her actions weren't really their concern other than bothering other customers...

What would have happened if I had put her in her place? It probably would have gotten real ugly at some point, because she is the type that she'd keep running her mouth just to spite me... I'll never know though, because I didn't...

I think I am at a point in my general disgust of people that there's not going to be a Mr. Nice Guy anymore... I don't really care what the consequences are... I feel like people only carry on the way they do sometimes because they haven't been called out...

Anyone have an opinion, or a solution other than turning the other cheek?

Meh, what's the point in telling someone like that to shut it? What's the best that can happen... they will. What's the worst, they pull out a gun and blow your head off...

I tend to leave people alone unless they mess with me or mine.

I think in the state of mind I am in right now, I'd rather call them out... Let them try to pull the worst...

I see your point though, and that's probably my biggest fear... My wife was with me, and, even as firey as she can be herself, I'd hate for her to get drawn into something like that because of my big mouth...

Yeah, I'm usually the one with the hot head... my wife usually tells me to calm down. I don't generally say things to people.

We were in the movies the other night and a group of teenagers sitting down from us were texting during the movie... so I nicely asked them, twice, to turn off the phone... of course they didn't, so I had to either deal with it or go get the manager and miss part of the movie. I decided to let it go because there was no point in making a scene over some stupid, obnoxious kids.

Yeah, I'm usually the one with the hot head... my wife usually tells me to calm down. I don't generally say things to people.

We were in the movies the other night and a group of teenagers sitting down from us were texting during the movie... so I nicely asked them, twice, to turn off the phone... of course they didn't, so I had to either deal with it or go get the manager and miss part of the movie. I decided to let it go because there was no point in making a scene over some stupid, obnoxious kids.

lmao! I once had a similar situation...

These teens beside us in the theater kept making dumb comments during the quiet parts of the movie and just being overall annoyances...

After biting my lip for so long, I leaned forward, looked over, and loudly said "WOULD YOU SHUT UP?!?!?!?"... I got nasty looks from those around me, and felt like an asshole for a little while... the wife even jabbed me in the side... but I tell you what, I didn't have to hear those kids anymore...

Maybe the reason I let some folks kind of walk over me in life is because I don't call out the bullpoo as I see it... Prepare for a lengthy story that could end up being Tinderbox worthy...

So, wifey and I decide to head out to a sit-down dinner last night just because we didn't feel like making anything at the house... We chose an Applebees...

We are like 2 out of 20 people in the entire place... Our waitress gets our drink order, returns with them (and leaves no straws), then comes back and takes our order and thankfully gives us straws upon my request...

Wifey and I were both very hungry, as she's preggo, and I'm just a fatass... So we ordered an appetizer of mozzarella sticks...

We wait and wait, for at least 35-40 minutes, and then another waitress brings out our meals... No sign of mozzarella sticks... We tell this waitress that we had ordered some and that we hadn't gotten them yet... Now our meal was there, and there was no point in getting an appetizer, but I told her just to bring them out anyways and we'd get a box to take them home... After she leaves our table, our waitress stops by and asks if everything is good... I told her about the mozzarella sticks and she realizes she never brought them out... She goes and returns with some a few moments later, and states that ours had been sitting out there, so she made us a fresh batch instead... Ok, whatever... I was cool with all that, just a little annoyed...

Then came the fun part... A party of three were sat in the booth behind us... It was two older women and a younger guy... One lady sat on the side of the booth with the younger guy, and I could immediately tell that there were involved in some sort of relationship...

This was later verified, as I saw her basically keep her face within a couple inches of his the majority of time, continuously talk into his ear, and kiss him... Our waitress came to take their drink order and the same lady immediately starts talking so all 20 people in the restaurant, stating how she wanted a martini and wanted so-and-so to make it because he knew how she liked it... generally just making her presence known to everyone in the vicinity...

She also proceeded to order some wings, in the bone... Her wings were brought out within 5 minutes, and after the waitress left, she proceeded to exclaim aloud how that these wings just would not do because they were too spicy, and that they would put her in the hospital, and if they did, she was going to be taking someone from the restaurant with her and getting a free meal... After a minute or so of loud complaining, she gets up, basket of wings in hand, and proclaims that she will go find the waitress and tell her to make another batch of non-spicy ones to replace them...

When she returns to her seat, there is a lot of chit-chat between her and the young guy, most of which is one sided... her being the one side...

In that process, just by being in the booth next to her (even though I am sure everyone in the restaurant heard this as well), I learned the following:

She was 43... the young guy was 23...

She had been in prison at some point, because she proudly boasted this as she was describing how she was not afraid of the young guy's girlfriend...apparently the girlfriend had threatened the older lady about meeting her man at a hotel or something...

She had plans for the two of them that night, which involved something related to motor oil, and that if the young guy was too tired, she would send him home and he could just look at the pictures she had taken for him and that she would call some other guy named Rico or something...

Also, she was lecturing the younger guy about the 15 year old he was also apparently having sex with, to which he responded that she wasn't 15, to which she responded that she (the older lady) was just going on what the girl had told her...

Needless to say, wifey and I were ready to get the hell out of there and not have to listen to any more of the sickening life story of this lady... Our check couldn't come fast enough, and when it did, we were out...

When we got into the car, I told my wife that it would have been so nice to tell the lady to shut the hell up... Of course, I and most people restrain themselves in those types of situations... But then came the epiphany...

Why?

Maybe that is what is wrong with the world... Maybe I should start calling out the bullpoo when I see it rather than just being the better person and biting my tongue...

How would you have reacted? I didn't want to get the restaurant folk involved, because they were just running a business, and her actions weren't really their concern other than bothering other customers...

What would have happened if I had put her in her place? It probably would have gotten real ugly at some point, because she is the type that she'd keep running her mouth just to spite me... I'll never know though, because I didn't...

I think I am at a point in my general disgust of people that there's not going to be a Mr. Nice Guy anymore... I don't really care what the consequences are... I feel like people only carry on the way they do sometimes because they haven't been called out...

Anyone have an opinion, or a solution other than turning the other cheek?

Based on your story....she probably would have stuck a shank in your ass out in the parking lot.

If you took the time to "put people in their place", all of those that need it, you'd have to quit your job and do it full time.

Last time I checked, the pay for "proper placement" guys is nil.

Let it go, unless they threaten the safety of your peeps.

Not worth it.

This

Unless proper placement helps you in some grand way, then go for it.

I know it helps me to just let someone have it occasionally, when warranted of course

Maybe you calling them out will just become part of the bully poo. (i actually typed out bully poo...shoot me! now)

Who cares though. Do what you want. If you think it's reasonable to say something and its bugging you then say it.

Archived