• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFT: No tag for Pep

Boltergeist

Link

Panthers don't plan to franchise Peppers

Posted by Mike Florio on February 12, 2010 12:01 AM ET

With 13 days to go until the period for applying the franchise tag closes, there's no reason for any Panthers fans to hold their breath regarding a possible return in 2010 by defensive end Julius Peppers, who has spent all eight of his NFL seasons in Carolina.

Per a league source, the Panthers don't plan to use the franchise tag on Peppers for a second straight season.

The reason is simple. Given his compensation in 2009, the rules push the franchise tender to $21.8 million for 2010.

That's $1.326 million. Per game.

Peppers simply isn't worth it, in Charlotte or elsewhere. And though the Panthers currently hold Peppers' rights, they can't trade him until March 5. But they won't hold his rights on March 5 unless the use the franchise tag.

And if they use the franchise tag, Peppers should immediately sign the thing, since no one is going to pay him $21.8 million for one season of football.

(The transition tag isn't an option, either, since the price for a one-year guaranteed deal will still be $21.8 million.)

So just as Drew Brees walked away from the Chargers in 2006 with no compensation to San Diego, Peppers most likely will leave the Panthers and go somewhere else.

At an annual salary far less than $21.8 million.

Per a league source, the Panthers don't plan to use the franchise tag on Peppers for a second straight season.

And if they use the franchise tag, Peppers should immediately sign the thing, since no one is going to pay him $21.8 million for one season of football.

lol wtf. Don't say they aren't gonna tag him and then go on to say what he should do if they tag him. If you say they aren't, then they aren't. This article sounds like something he pulled out of his ass. And next season is uncapped sooo.....

LOL, Peppers wasn't worth last years salary either.

Yet the Panthers paid it.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/insanity?db=dictionary

in⋅san⋅i⋅ty  /ɪnˈsænɪti/

1. the condition of being insane; a derangement of the mind.

2. Law. such unsoundness of mind as affects legal responsibility or capacity.

3. Psychiatry. (formerly) psychosis.

4. extreme folly; senselessness; foolhardiness.

:(

Damnit! The one definition I was looking for and it wasn't there...

:D

The Panthers didn't win a SuperBowl with Peppers.

Quick, name a DE on the Saints?

If he goes, he goes. Again, the Panthers offered to make him the highest paid player after his miserable 2007 season. He turns around and says, one day, 'it was not sincere' and then says this year 'I didn't earn it so I couldn't take it'. Sure Julius, whatever.

I think Jerry Richardson is sick and tired of being sick and tired with this guy.

The grass is greener Julius, go.

Archived