• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Just when you thought it couldn't get worse, Fox, ESPN, and WB are launching a joint venture sports streaming service

12 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Long story short, pirating stuff and saying it’s ok because the creator ‘gets exposure’ is wrong unless that creator is ok with it.

Even if the creator says it's ok, that doesn't mean the distributor selling the product agrees.

The only way that works is times when the content creators post their content on a (legit, free) service -- like when De La Soul posted their entire catalog on their own website for download a while back.   

They didn't mean "hey, here's all our songs for you to post on pirate websites". It was "here's all our songs so nobody has to go to a pirate website for them"

Edited by PanthersATL

1 hour ago, scpanther22 said:

I remember the creator of Breaking Bad pretty much saying piracy is what spread the word about the show because no one at the time was watching AMC

Let's use the whole quote, please. He was not embracing piracy, merely recognizing one aspect that piracy appears to have brought to the table. His main point was that piracy resulted in the people who worked on the show not making as much money as they would have.

“I see that there’s two sides to this coin, if I’m being honest,” Gilligan said in an interview with the BBC.

“In some ways the illegal downloading has helped us, certainly, in terms of brand awareness,” he said. “The downside is a lot of folks who worked on the show would have made more money, myself included, if all those downloads had been legal.”

Piracy is “ultimately a problem and will continue to be a problem going forward,” Gilligan said. “Because we all need to eat. We all need to get paid.”

https://variety.com/2013/tv/news/breaking-bad-creator-vince-gilligan-piracy-boosted-shows-popularity-1200737192/

• Pie 1

A year ago I traded my TV for a Library card...............best deal I ever made.

If its a game I want to find out about in real time.......I just listen to it on the Internet live streaming radio while I do other tasks....

.....and if it sounds like it was a decent or interesting game then later that day or the next I just watch the highlights on Youtube.

You'd be surprised how easy it is to get used to that............

17 minutes ago, PanthersATL said:

Even if the creator says it's ok, that doesn't mean the distributor selling the product agrees.

The only way that works is times when the content creators post their content on a (legit, free) service -- like when De La Soul posted their entire catalog on their own website for download a while back.   

They didn't mean "hey, here's all our songs for you to post on pirate websites". It was "here's all our songs so nobody has to go to a pirate website for them"

Right, everyone with a legal claim to the product has to be ok with it.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, PanthersATL said:

Let's use the whole quote, please. He was not embracing piracy, merely recognizing one aspect that piracy appears to have brought to the table. His main point was that piracy resulted in the people who worked on the show not making as much money as they would have.

https://variety.com/2013/tv/news/breaking-bad-creator-vince-gilligan-piracy-boosted-shows-popularity-1200737192/

He's employed by networks/studios i'd never expect him to fully support stealing from them lol

but studios are also digging their own graves and I don't feel sorry for them,  they can hide because "it hurts creators" but a lot of creators don't see what they should the executives do

Being fully ethical in a crooked system is a sure fire way to get taken advantage of

4 hours ago, Tbe said:

Wait…you’re saying they are spending billions for content but paying creators is an after thought?

So who are they paying then?

it recent history is any indication...they're overpaying on old IPs, then making overly bloated hollywood movies that are bombing. They're not even trying to take chances on original creator driven shows/movies

Just now, scpanther22 said:

it recent history is any indication...they're overpaying on old IPs, then making overly bloated hollywood movies that are bombing. They're not even trying to take chances on original creator driven shows/movies

Warner Brothers's BARBIE seemed to work.

29 minutes ago, scpanther22 said:

He's employed by networks/studios i'd never expect him to fully support stealing from them lol

but studios are also digging their own graves and I don't feel sorry for them,  they can hide because "it hurts creators" but a lot of creators don't see what they should the executives do

Being fully ethical in a crooked system is a sure fire way to get taken advantage of

He and a lot of other people on that show get residuals. They need people to pay for stuff or they get less.

Creators just agreed on a new CBA which they are happy with. They get nothing if people pirate the shows and movies they work on.

You’re right that they should get more. But if you’re actively doing things that take money from creators, you are no different than those executives you complain about. You’re just another greedy person taking from their hard word.

On 2/6/2024 at 11:42 PM, PanthersATL said:

Commercials or commercials+subscription. Netflix is the only streamer making money, and their most popular plan is the ad tier.

someone has to pay the people running the cameras, manning the equipment, reporting and reading the news and weather.  Write the funny comedies, etc.

money to pay for all that has to come from *somewhere*.  If not commercials or high fees, then where?

They should just be happy to have someplace to go daily. If they get a check here then that's a bonus. These folks are artist and should be happy to starve on occasion. 

Analysis from yesterday's Super Bowl show that all streaming services stink at trying to keep viewers up-to-the-second of the on-field action.

Hulu, NFL+, and DirecTV all averaged more than a minute behind live.

FUBO was the worst (they also had various tech issues through the game), with some users getting delays up to two minutes behind live

The best option? Antenna/over-the-air, with a delay of about 22 seconds behind being live at the game.

spacer.png

• Pie 1