• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Draft Tez Walker!!

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't think it's that simple. Why was our downfield passing attack significantly improved with Dalton who had a lot less reps with the starters?

Confidence, play calling (Reich even said Dalton wrote in some plays for him to call), a weak secondary, experience? Plenty of reasons that happened. Looks like Dalton hit one 47 yard bomb the next long was in the 20s? He also averaged 6.2 yards per attempt that game. I wouldn’t refer to that as significant improvement? Hell 20 of that 47 yard reception was YAC. Here is the one pass over 25 yards out of 58 that game. 

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

Confidence, play calling (Reich even said Dalton wrote in some plays for him to call), a weak secondary, experience? Plenty of reasons that happened. Looks like Dalton hit one 47 yard bomb the next long was in the 20s? He also averaged 6.2 yards per attempt that game. I wouldn’t refer to that as significant improvement? Hell 20 of that 47 yard reception was YAC. Here is the one pass over 25 yards out of 58 that game. 

4/7 for a TD and 0 INTs when throwing for 20+ yards.

Yeah, I imagine having a QB more capable of throwing the ball down the field would impact play calling. And yeah, Seattle had a weak secondary and that's why I personally wanted to see more from Dalton. Was our more effective downfield passing that day a fluke or was there something more to it? We never got the answer.

According to the Next Gen Stats passing chart there were 4 attempts over 25 yards in that game. Dalton went 2/4 for a TD in those 4 attempts.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

4/7 for a TD and 0 INTs when throwing for 20+ yards.

Yeah, I imagine having a QB more capable of throwing the ball down the field would impact play calling. And yeah, Seattle had a weak secondary and that's why I personally wanted to see more from Dalton. Was our more effective downfield passing that day a fluke or was there something more to it? We never got the answer.

According to the Next Gen Stats passing chart there were 4 attempts over 25 yards in that game. Dalton went 2/4 for a TD in those 4 attempts.

Yeah one was 25 to AT and the other was 27 to Chark who ran another 20 yards afterwards (just posted the video). Thats not really airing out downfield. It was 6.2 YPA that’s .7 more YPAs than Young’s bottom of the league 5.5. I’m still surprised we threw it 58 times. Andy was icing his old shoulder after that game for sure. I’m sorry about 2 out of 58 attempts were completed for over 25 yards and again 6.2 YPA doesn’t look like much of an upgrade to me. Our offense sucked all around last year. 

8 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah one was 25 to AT and the other was 27 to Chark who ran another 20 yards afterwards (just posted the video). Thats not really airing out downfield. It was 6.2 YPA that’s .7 more YPAs than Young’s bottom of the league 5.5. I’m still surprised we threw it 58 times. Andy was icing his old shoulder after that game for sure. I’m sorry about 2 out of 58 attempts were completed for over 25 yards and again 6.2 YPA doesn’t look like much of an upgrade to me. Our offense sucked all around last year. 

I'm not talking about the game as a whole. I'm specifically talking about the downfield element. Given the way our offense played the rest of the year, that game was The Greatest Show on Turf in comparison. Sad as that may be. There were multiple games where Bryce didn't even attempt a pass over 20 yards and a LOT of games where he didn't complete one.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm not talking about the game as a whole. I'm specifically talking about the downfield element. Given the way our offense played the rest of the year, that game was The Greatest Show on Turf in comparison. Sad as that may be.

I’m saying 2 passes over 25 yards out of 58 attempts featuring 6.2 YPAs isn’t much better than any other game. Our redzone offense looked better. That Dalton game gets overhyped on here a lot. I mean the Commanders offense looked better when Brissett went in for Howell. Part of it is also just experience. 

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

Then it’s simply a timing issue. The video I posted had Burton in stride while having good coverage on him. His arm has the ability to get it to his target. He will need muscle memory and timing to zero in on accuracy if you are saying that’s the issue. Hell I’ve seen QBs with cannons struggle with deep passes. 

Good coverage?  Come on dude he had him by 3-5 yards.  Not a tight window 

7 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

That Dalton game gets overhyped on here a lot.

It's the only other measuring stick we have available. I'm not saying it was a great game. I've never said it was a great game. I've always simply said that it was the only game all year when we had a viable vertical threat in our offense.

6 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Good coverage?  Come on dude he had him by 3-5 yards.  Not a tight window 

IMG_4243.thumb.png.ec867f68568a4ef9f6643960f4fce0b8.png

Here is when the WR turns to look for the pass. I mean they each have a foot inside the same yard marker. If you think that’s 3-5 yards I’m not sure what to tell you. 

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's the only other measuring stick we have available. I'm not saying it was a great game. I've never said it was a great game. I've always simply said that it was the only game all year when we had a viable vertical threat in our offense.

Yeah and I’m saying that’s really not the case. It was a 6.2 YPA boring ass Reich offense we have seen all year. There was just a lot more attempts so 2 went for the 25 plus instead of 1. 

30 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah and I’m saying that’s really not the case. It was a 6.2 YPA boring ass Reich offense we have seen all year. There was just a lot more attempts so 2 went for the 25 plus instead of 1. 

More attempts downfield. More completions downfield. When we have multiple games where our starter attempted zero (0) the overall number of attempts in that game is a lot less relevant. Bryce just didn't really go down the field much for whatever reason.

5 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I mean, struggling with physical play can't exactly be seen as shocking for a guy listed at 6'3" 175 but that's also a big part of why he's a project. He probably needs to add 20-25 pounds at the NFL level and you have to wonder how that will effect his speed and quickness. He has the build of a basketball player.

He was at 6-1.5 and 197 at the Senior Bowl. He is plenty big enough, he just isn't a physical player. That's not necessarily a huge deal but it is when you have questionable hands, technique and limited route tree.

He might be a project that pans out but we just aren't in a position to be that deep into a developmental player when our WR corps is so insanely bad.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

So you’re saying he’d fit right in?

Seriously tho. I think smart drafting is something that we have lacked since ever.   I’m good with taking a chance on a guy in the later rounds but this team desperately needs to hit on a a couple picks that can contribute immediately. 

Yep. We cannot afford to keep whiffing on top 3 round picks. It's BRUTAL to recover from. 

• Pie 1