• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rumor: Canes Acquire Jake Guentzel

Just now, Chief_Chokeaho said:

That’s a good trade for us. Pono was going to struggle to see this roster with Drury. 

Agreed pono/Bunting were the only real values....

25% retention on top of unloading Bunting....

That's close to 6m in space still I don't think the Canes are done yet.

3 minutes ago, CarolinaWillRise said:

How so? Pomi is the only one worth a dang other than Bunting and with 25% retained I'm guessing anther move is coming 

A 4.5 million dollar player with three years on contract, 2 second round prospects, a 4th round prospect, a 1st round conditional and a 5th round conditional next draft.

Does not equal in overall value Guentzel for 2 months and Ty Smith. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, CarolinaWillRise said:

That's close to 6m in space still I don't think the Canes are done yet.

There’s not much left on the market but scraps. Vatrano and Buch, if the reports are true and the blues want 2 firsts for Buch we are out. 

Decent trade.

Wish Koivunen wasn’t included, I think he’ll be a 3C in the NHL.

At least the picks are contingent on us making/winning the cup.

In my mind I’m looking at it like:

Carolina Receives: Jake Guentzel (1/2LW - hopefully re-signs), Ty Smith (defensive depth for the playoffs)

Pittsburgh Receives: Michael Bunting (3LW), Ville Koivunen (3C), Vasily Ponomarev (4C), Cruz Lucius (AHL/Fringe 4th Liner), first or second round pick, possibly a 5th round pick.

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Decent trade.

Carolina Receives: Jake Guentzel (1/2LW - hopefully re-signs), Ty Smith (defensive depth for the playoffs)

Pittsburgh Receives: Michael Bunting (3LW), Ville Koivunen (3C), Vasily Ponomarev (4C), Cruz Lucius (AHL/Fringe 4th Liner), first or second round pick, possibly a 5th round pick.

Scared money don’t make money. I love it. Let’s pull for our guy now. He is a cane!

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Decent trade.

I think Ty is more of an AHL project player. There’s a reason he’s only played 9 games for the Pens after 2 seasons at the NHL level in Jersey. Plus that -32 is ugly. 

I think Ville has a higher ceiling. 

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

I think Ty is more of an AHL project player. There’s a reason he’s only played 9 games for the Pens after 2 seasons at the NHL level in Jersey. Plus that -32 is ugly. 

I think Ville has a higher ceiling. 

Hopefully TDA clears because right now we have no defensive depth. Coghlan and Smith are next men up.

• Pie 1

Curious as to when Guentzel will actually come off IR ready to play.

Quite a bold gamble on a rental but it’s the kind of move you make for an elite scorer to win the cup so I’m all in.  And maybe Canes can sign him to a decent term contract.

85768FF8-E8D1-4A41-BE37-83190BAD524F.thumb.jpeg.5a01d8d2f278139069755b3e5348a043.jpeg

8 minutes ago, DavidEng said:

Quite a bold gamble on a rental but it’s the kind of move you make for an elite scorer to win the cup so I’m all in.  And maybe Canes can sign him to a decent term contract.

85768FF8-E8D1-4A41-BE37-83190BAD524F.thumb.jpeg.5a01d8d2f278139069755b3e5348a043.jpeg

He’s been skating in a regular jersey but I don’t think it’s been at full contact practice. There is video from yesterday/today on Twitter but it was just shooting drills.

• Pie 1

20 minutes ago, DavidEng said:

Definitely looks like just solo drills probably to help with the trade interest. I don’t think we see him for a week or two at least. Which gives him less time to learn the defense and PP. 

Edited by Harbingers