• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rumor: Canes Acquire Jake Guentzel

The retention on this makes me think the Canes will make anther move or two today, maybe not a huge splash like Guentzel but it doesn't make sense otherwise we effectively have 6m in cap space....

I don't think Bunting was a great fit either, and it cleared 4.5M next season bringing the 2024 total cap space to 35.8M 

As RFAs we have 

Necas 6.5 aav?

Jarvis 1-2 year bridge deal IMO 5m aav? (Would still be a RFA when expires)

Drury 1m AAV?

None are leaving IMO.

If Guentzel is resigned I'm guessing he's in the 7-8m aav range (his game is all smarts he will age well IMO) 

As of right now I think Skjei gets resigned at around 6.5-7m aav 

Chatfield as well around 3.5-4 aav on a short deal.

Noeson is a ? In my book probably around the same as Chatty. 3.5-4 

Martinook will resign for relative peanuts 1.5-2m aav 

^^^^ I think the above #s work and would leave the canes about 1.5 million in space next season. 

Let walk

Pesce 

Turbo

6 hours ago, Harbingers said:

You know what’s fuged up? Bunting literally did canes corner last night and then we dump him the next night. Brutal. 

It's a business man, just how it rolls and I'm actually glad they cleared his $ over the next two years it certainly looks possible to resign Guentzel and everyone but Pesce and Turbo.... (and if you don't keep one or both of them)

4 hours ago, GamecockSmitty4 said:

Not sure if it was mentioned but the first is dependent on us making the Finals. If no Finals, it becomes the Flyers 2nd. I’m very impressed with Waddell on this one. 

Now go get us a 2C. 

Also, if we don't win the cup the other pick goes away as well if I'm not mistaken. I actually like the trade. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, panthers81 said:

Also, if we don't win the cup the other pick goes away as well if I'm not mistaken. I actually like the trade. 

I like are chances now much better last years team probably wins the cup with Guentzel and a healthy Svechnikov.... 

Freddie's back and seems to be in form Kochetkov is playing well...

Our only "weakness" is 2C 

The real key to if this trade was worth it is how well Guentzel plays with our guys and in the playoffs and if we re-sign Guentzel.  A Cup, no matter who you acquire, is not a given.

We gave up Pono and Koivunen and a low 1st/high 2nd, not really concerned about Cruz or the 5th.

As noted we have room to add another player - personally I would try to get Vatrano, but I am sure the competition will be pretty high.  Jason Zucker might be interesting, he was held out last night because he might be traded.  I think I mentioned he might be a good fit last year.

1 hour ago, cookinbrak said:

The Pens are a trainwreck. I don't pay much attention to GMs of other teams and I'm not sure who should be held accountable, but I'm not sure why the Pens made Guentzel a trade target. He's the most productive and youngest forward on the team.

Crosby is 36 and has 2 more years at $8.7M, Malkin is 37 and has 3 more years at $6.1M, Carter is 39, Reilly Smith is 32, Acciari is 32. Erik Karlsson is 33 and has 5 more years at $10M, Letang is 36.

The team is fugging old and slow and will miss the playoffs for the second year in a row, and they moved the guy who probably would have filled Crosby's or Malkin's spot at some point.

Edited by Anybodyhome

2 hours ago, CarolinaWillRise said:

If Guentzel is resigned I'm guessing he's in the 7-8m aav range (his game is all smarts he will age well IMO) 

That is a lowball if I’ve seen one. Rumors were he wants between 9-11m. 

2 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

The Pens are a trainwreck. I don't pay much attention to GMs of other teams and I'm not sure who should be held accountable, but I'm not sure why the Pens made Guentzel a trade target. He's the most productive and youngest forward on the team.

Crosby is 36 and has 2 more years at $8.7M, Malkin is 37 and has 3 more years at $6.1M, Carter is 39, Reilly Smith is 32, Acciari is 32. Erik Karlsson is 33 and has 5 more years at $10M, Letang is 36.

The team is fugging old and slow and will miss the playoffs for the second year in a row, and they moved the guy who probably would have filled Crosby's or Malkin's spot at some point.

Their GM is the old Toronto GM. I think he’s taking Pittsburgh into a complete rebuild and perhaps Guentzel simply didn’t want to stay around for it.