• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Canes vs Isles Round 1 Game 3 7:30

No Pesce for remainder of 1st round. TDA draws in...I'm always worried about defensive injuries in the playoffs for the Canes. Our defensive style doesn't bode well for substitutes.

Hopefully Tony plays well! LETS GO CANES.

• Pie 2

No morning skate(don’t like personally as we practiced at home yesterday. No feel for the ice and the boards). Freddie got the starter net at practice yesterday, so I think it’s safe to say he gets the start tonight. No word on if Fasty made the trip.

2 hours ago, panthers81 said:

No Pesce for remainder of 1st round. TDA draws in...I'm always worried about defensive injuries in the playoffs for the Canes. Our defensive style doesn't bode well for substitutes.

Hopefully Tony plays well! LETS GO CANES.

Pesce was out most of game 2.... love pesce but if we had to lose someone he's probably the one you'd pick.

This just moves Orlov/Chatfield up to pair two....

TDA isn't close to Pesce defensively but he does add even more offense.

3 minutes ago, PantherChris said:

Pesce was out most of game 2.... love pesce but if we had to lose someone he's probably the one you'd pick.

I don't disagree with this, however...in our man defensive philosophy people can get lost in translation and grade A's appear. It helps to have a lot of game time to get into the flow of it all. 

I think 2010 was the last year a primarily man defense won the cup...everyone has to be perfect. Hopefully, he comes in and doesn't miss a beat!!

11 minutes ago, panthers81 said:

I don't disagree with this, however...in our man defensive philosophy people can get lost in translation and grade A's appear. It helps to have a lot of game time to get into the flow of it all. 

I think 2010 was the last year a primarily man defense won the cup...everyone has to be perfect. Hopefully, he comes in and doesn't miss a beat!!

Early in the year when Pesce was out he played surprisingly well defensively...

As pissed as I was in game 82 (I bet hard on the canes before RBA announced he was sitting starters) I wouldn't hold game 82 against him the game didn't matter.... I suspect he comes in and plays well/very hard because he wants to play in the playoffs (who doesn't) and it's not like he doesn't have experience in our system he played like 90 games two seasons ago. He's also a boost to the PP.

1 minute ago, PantherChris said:

Early in the year when Pesce was out he played surprisingly well defensively...

As pissed as I was in game 82 (I bet hard on the canes before RBA announced he was sitting starters) I wouldn't hold game 82 against him the game didn't matter.... I suspect he comes in and plays well/very hard because he wants to play in the playoffs (who doesn't) and it's not like he doesn't have experience in our system he played like 90 games two seasons ago. He's also a boost to the PP.

He’s not slotting in on the PP. That’s a liability. 

1 hour ago, PantherChris said:

This. He has been grading out as our worst defenseman on the ice in most games this season.

That just means our forwards have to be more aware that TDA is on the ice and we can't afford to be leaving him back defending 2 on 1s 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, PleaseCutStewart said:

This. He has been grading out as our worst defenseman on the ice in most games this season.

That just means our forwards have to be more aware that TDA is on the ice and we can't afford to be leaving him back defending 2 on 1s 

I don't expect him to be perfect but I suspect he will be putting in the effort defensively to not be a complete liability and stay in the lineup over Marrow....

He adds more offense so hopefully it will offset any defensive lapses.... he's fantastic at walking the line and postponing himself to keep pucks in... (something burns has been making me go wtf why are you so out of postion when guys are slinging it to the point)

1 hour ago, PleaseCutStewart said:

Actually, Pesce is not usually our worst defenseman on grade on average and usually is middle of the pack to high on stat card solo. 

Something people need to remember is for defensive lines in the NHL over 800 minutes. We take 1, 5 and 9 x goal against per 60. 1, 10, 20 x goal against(skjei/pesce is the 10. 2, 3, 11, x goal.

Individually, Pesce is second on the team in blocks and per 60 it’s a country mile. Has a 5.8 x goal despite having little offense. TDA is a 1.8. Pesce also has our least amount of defensive zone giveaways with 14. To put that in perspective he has 18 give away in 1400 minutes, Orlov has 17 defensive zone giveaways in the same amount of time(36 total).

TDA has 14 giveaways with 8 defensive zone giveaways in 440 minutes. 

TDA and Pesce are not the same. Y’all give Pesce far too little credit to how well he plays in rods system. 

• Pie 1