• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kiper grades the Panthers draft a....

NanceUSMC

Carolina Panthers

Summary: Carolina started late, but consistently got value. The debate on started a long time ago and it won't end just because the draft is complete, but to get a guy with his skill set and upside at No. 48 is exceptional value no matter where you stand on the debate. I liked at No. 78, and Eric Norwood and Greg Hardy in the fourth and sixth rounds, respectively, are both low on risk and extremely high on potential. Norwood is inconsistent, but he's looked positively dominating in some games, and Hardy drops mostly because of injury questions. may even develop into a chip they can move down the line.Draft grade: B

I can live with that...

The only really good pick IMO was Clausen and thats just because of the unbelievable value. It would have been real nice if instead of trading our 2nd next year for a 3rd we trade it and our current 3rd for another 2nd and gotten Tate. Edward was way too much of a reach. Even if you were convinced he would go soon, so what, he is a project that might never be more then a situational player.

He was selected too high in one there of the deepest drafts in history. Even if he was taken we could have just gotten Lefevour in the 6th. And Pike made absolutely no sense especially considering moments later they say they still like Cantwell. It looks like Gruden got some of his HC power a year early. And before I get flogged by the SC nuthuggers I like Norwood as well just liked Edds better.

I would give a B at best as well. Alright but could have been oh so much better.

The only really good pick IMO was Clausen and thats just because of the unbelievable value. It would have been real nice if instead of trading our 2nd next year for a 3rd we trade it and our current 3rd for another 2nd and gotten Tate. Edward was way too much of a reach. Even if you were convinced he would go soon, so what, he is a project that might never be more then a situational player.

He was selected too high in one there of the deepest drafts in history. Even if he was taken we could have just gotten Lefevour in the 6th. And Pike made absolutely no sense especially considering moments later they say they still like Cantwell. It looks like Gruden got some of his HC power a year early. And before I get flogged by the SC nuthuggers I like Norwood as well just liked Edds better.

I would give a B at best as well. Alright but could have been oh so much better.

Until you actually see that Tate is better then Edwards on the field, I don't think we should talk about this. Has anyone ever seen Edwards at WR? He might be the best WR ever, we just don't know yet.

LaFell will be the most productive of our rookies, but the highest upsides belong to Clausen, Edwards, and Hardy. Our draft was a nice mix of solid picks and high risk/reward ones.

What I find funny is that everyone is still penalizing us for last year's Brown trade. They discounted the 2008 draft because we traded away a pick, then last year they discounted what we got because we didn't have a first, AND penalized us for trading away this year's first. And now this year they're penalizing us again for not having a first.

If we DID have a first and walked away with the same slate of players, Kiper would have given us an A and gushed about our future stars. I would say he's an idiot, but he gets paid for doing what most of us would do for free.

If the only thing Edwards ever does for this team is to add 15-20 yds to our starting position, then he's well worth it. How long has it been since we've seen a return for TD and had an average starting position passed the 25. A dynamic returner will effect every drive. An extra 10yds to start will make an enormous difference.

Until you actually see that Tate is better then Edwards on the field, I don't think we should talk about this. Has anyone ever seen Edwards at WR? He might be the best WR ever, we just don't know yet.

Edwards is project..So I dont expect anything from him this year

Edwards is project..So I dont expect anything from him this year

yeah, during the press conference, fox and hurney mentioned that he would have a year to learn the wr/return positions before he really saw much action. he has tons of potential with his athleticism, but we won't see it until he is coached up. on the bright side, who better to help mentor a young highly athletic receiver, Steve Smith... as long as he tries hard.

For what its worth I remember the Panthers getting heat for taking a chance on another WR in the 3rd round that many thought would never amount to anything more than an average return name. Not saying that Edwards will become Smith but sometimes you have to take risks. And as to where he was drafted...you go by your board and you don't worry about where other people have someone ranked. And I would bet another team was looking at Edwards at the top of the 4th and that's why they made the trade.

Now that its over, I think its safe to say that if the Panthers hadn't got Brown last year and had our first, they would've drafted Claussen in the First round, and with our 2nd rounder we would've got someone for Defensive End perhaps?

Or would've they have drafted a DE or DT stud(which we'd need, no Pep and no Brown) or WR in first and got lucky and drafted Claussen in the 2nd, thinking they'd get McCoy or later on Pike(and sign Bulger or trade for Campbell).

Since they wanted to trade up to end of first to get Claussen I think they would've drafted him and paid him first Round money with the pick that we got Brown with. So in hindsight the Brown trade may not be so bad now. Of course they could've taken that pick and traded down. In effect Brown cost us our 2nd this year, whoever that would've been. Plus we got Goodson out of it.

If the only thing Edwards ever does for this team is to add 15-20 yds to our starting position, then he's well worth it. How long has it been since we've seen a return for TD and had an average starting position passed the 25. A dynamic returner will effect every drive. An extra 10yds to start will make an enormous difference.

ultra conservative playcalling while backed up against our own end zone has thrown away so many drives by forcing 3 and outs. how many of those drives might have amounted to scores... and wins?

better starting position is going to make a huge improvement and keep fox's jelly beans from shriveling up when we start a drive from the 26 instead of the 16.

Now that its over, I think its safe to say that if the Panthers hadn't got Brown last year and had our first, they would've drafted Claussen in the First round, and with our 2nd rounder we would've got someone for Defensive End perhaps?

Or would've they have drafted a DE or DT stud(which we'd need, no Pep and no Brown) or WR in first and got lucky and drafted Claussen in the 2nd, thinking they'd get McCoy or later on Pike(and sign Bulger or trade for Campbell).

Since they wanted to trade up to end of first to get Claussen I think they would've drafted him and paid him first Round money with the pick that we got Brown with. So in hindsight the Brown trade may not be so bad now. Of course they could've taken that pick and traded down. In effect Brown cost us our 2nd this year, whoever that would've been. Plus we got Goodson out of it.

i was thinking about that myself yesterday, even if we had our first rounder this year, i'm almost positive hurney would not have passed on jimmy clausen

Archived