• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Road

The Saltman

Is it still worth reading the book once you've watched the movie?

I don't know why people say this story is so depressing. It's probably one of the most optomistic endings in modern literature.

I haven't read the book, maybe that ending is optimistic, but not the movie ***SPOILER*** after watching him and his son slowly starve to death, they leave the ending open as to whether or not we can trust the couple that takes him on. It seemed to me like thye were going to eat him. ***END SPOILER***

I don't know why people say this story is so depressing. It's probably one of the most optomistic endings in modern literature.

*SPOILERS*

It's depressing because despite how hard the father tries, he is unable to find salvation for his son. As much as he loves and cares for him, it takes a complete stranger to give the child a slightly better life (if we assume the new couple doesn't kill him). It is definitely optimistic at the end, but depressing in a sense that even the ones we love the most sometimes aren't capable of being there for us.

I liked the movie but wasnt the "family" at the end following the two through the most of thier journey? I mean, once they found that fallout shelter, they left it due to hearing the dog/footsteps outside, when they should have just stayed.

Interesting to see so many different views of the movie/book.

thats why I like coming to the huddle...there are always differing opinions. whether u like them or not at least people have a head on their shoulders here. I cant say the same for other messageboards.

Book was awesome. Movie was solid but I didn't much care for the ending.

I would have liked to have seen some of the more graphic material thats in the book make its way into the movie. But never the less the movie did a good job of building tension and suspense in some scenes.

**Spoiler** In the Movie Ending; Instead of the boy going with the family & dog which I thought was Hollywood hack. I would have preferred he just went with the loan guy, that would have left it more open to whether the guy was good or bad and possibly going to eat him, something I didn't get with the hollywood happy family ending in the movie.

**Spoiler** In the Movie Ending; Instead of the boy going with the family & dog which I thought was Hollywood hack. I would have preferred he just went with the loan guy, that would have left it more open to whether the guy was good or bad and possibly going to eat him, something I didn't get with the hollywood happy family ending in the movie.

I think it was left open, in fact I think they might eat him based on the fact that they might have been following them the whole time. I definitely did not get the happy ending feel.

I think it was left open, in fact I think they might eat him based on the fact that they might have been following them the whole time. I definitely did not get the happy ending feel.

I'm sure the meat is really tender but I mean how much could you really extract off such a small kid. Not enough IMO to warrent following them for several weeks ;)

Archived