• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This is why you don't let your 16 year old daughter sail around the world alone...

Johnny Rockets

Abby Sunderland, 16, is alive and apparently well, floundering in rough seas in the Indian Ocean without a mast, but safely aboard her 40-foot boat and awaiting the arrival of rescue ships.

An Australian plane with 11 trained observers found Sunderland, who on Thursday had activated two emergency distress beacons signaling an international rescue attempt, not long after daybreak Friday and made contact with her on a marine radio channel.

The mariner from Thousand Oaks, Calif., who had been attempting to become the youngest person to have sailed around the world alone, had lost has mast and rigging after her vessel apparently rolled in heaving seas. Her position is extremely remote, more than 2,000 miles from Australia and Africa.

"I was envisioning all sorts of nightmare situations," Marianne Sunderland, Abby's mom, said when reached via phone at her family's home in Thousand Oaks, Calif.

Marianne and Laurence Sunderland, and six other children, had remained in their home, refusing to talk to reporters, until they had learned the fate of their daughter.

Marianne did not talk to Abby but Abby told the airplane crew she "was fine" and not badly hurt.

A rescue has not been made, however. The nearest ship bound for her position is about 30 hours away, but fierce winds and seas that had been upwards of 40 feet are abating. Australian, American and French search-and-rescue authorities are cooperating in the rescue attempt.

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/17960/abby+sunderland+is+alive+and+apparently+safe+aboard+her+damaged+sailboat/

Abby Sunderland, 16, is alive and apparently well, floundering in rough seas in the Indian Ocean without a mast, but safely aboard her 40-foot boat and awaiting the arrival of rescue ships.

I hope they charge her parents with child neglect and require them to pay for all search and rescue costs.

Her parents should be arrested.

Really? I don't think so. She is 16, history is full of people who have done great things by age 16. I think sometimes kids are sheltered too much and sometimes too little. I think it depends on the person and how mature they are. Some 16 year old girls are way more mature than 22 year old boys. :)

Really? I don't think so. She is 16, history is full of people who have done great things by age 16. I think sometimes kids are sheltered too much and sometimes too little. I think it depends on the person and how mature they are. Some 16 year old girls are way more mature than 22 year old boys. :)

Everything I read about this suggests she was not forced into this in any way and is a prodigy sailor.

I say good for her.

From a sailing standpoint she chose the wrong time and route and new this ahead of time. Seems obvious in retrospect.

Very true.....this girl had a much better chance of safely sailing around the world then JBro would have sailing across Lake Norman.

Archived