• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How to negotiate terms of employment?

CanadianCat

So I was just offered a new job, one that I have really been wanting. Its a great position and well paying.

However, I need to commute an hour to and from work each day to this new job. So when I go in to discuss the terms and conditions, how in a professional way can I negotiate for the terms that I want(pay vacation)? Ive never been in a position to do this before in a work environment?

Any suggestions would be great!

A lot of it is just asking. It's appropriate to do so now that they've made the offer.

It's just negotiation really. It all depends on how much leverage you have. Like anything else, let them throw out the first numbers. If it's fair and what you want, don't be greedy. Take it and thank them. If it's not, make a counter offer.

When making a counter, understand that anything above 5-10% (salary or days off) is aggressive. Also provide reasons for your request (language skills, relevent experience, etc.). If you can't think of any, you're probably not going to get it. The important thing is to let them know what you want and be flexible.

Whatever answer they give you is the final one. You aren't at the flea market.

Thanks guys. Really I just want to make sure I start with 3 weeks vacation. Thats really my only thing Im going to push for and I dont think thats asking much at all.

I would hate to start off on the bad foot with the co. so Ill pretty much just ask if I can get it and if they say no.. well then thats the end of that haha.

I just went through this and Delhommy is right. It is acceptable to make a counter offer but once they comeback with the second offer dont haggle anymore. My big thing was moving expenses and hotel room. When I did my interview the Manager said he would try and get me 4 weeks in a hotel and a moving truck. When they made me the offer the moving truck wasnt offered. I counter purposed a extra $3000 on my pay because it wasnt there. They turned back around and put the moving truck back on there.

Vacation I had no control with because everyone starts off the same. But if you have to have some time off make sure to get it off in negotiations. That way you will get it off.

It is a tough market for employees to be negotiating what they want. Not saying you can't negotiate or get what you want, but be mindful that there are probably a dozen more people as equally qualified as you that would gladly take whatever your offer is.

This might be true but you have to stand up for what you think you are worth. I missed out on a couple of jobs because they didnt like what I wanted to be paid. But I wasnt about to start for something less than my worth.

generally all true. If you have exceptional leverage you can do more than one round of negotiation. If they need you, don't have other candidates, and you can easily walk away form the offers.

Otherwise much negotiation can be done once you have the job and prove yourself

A lot of it is just asking. It's appropriate to do so now that they've made the offer.

It's just negotiation really. It all depends on how much leverage you have. Like anything else, let them throw out the first numbers. If it's fair and what you want, don't be greedy. Take it and thank them. If it's not, make a counter offer.

When making a counter, understand that anything above 5-10% (salary or days off) is aggressive. Also provide reasons for your request (language skills, relevent experience, etc.). If you can't think of any, you're probably not going to get it. The important thing is to let them know what you want and be flexible.

Whatever answer they give you is the final one. You aren't at the flea market.

This is really freaking fantastic advice here... I hired a guy two years ago, agreed on a rate of pay, his hours, length of employment, etc. and he was in my office within one month wanting a raise and more hours. I told him no... he was back in two weeks same thing... I told him if he asked again I was going to seriously regret hiring him. He ended up fired within two months...

Archived