• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Nhave a problem blocking?

House

Here me out on this one. I know that is a popular thing to do right now to blame the OL on a lot of our problems, however for some of you I am about to blow your mind. I don't think the OL has any issues whatsoever, the whole problem has been Moore.

Now I am not trying to pile on Moore, he has had a rough go of it and there is no reason to just keep on craping on him. All of our OL issues are directly attributable to him though.

An average NFL pocket is good for 3-4 seconds. At the 3 second mark the QB needs to be either releasing the ball or in the process of releasing it. Moore is constantly not even into his progression at the 3 second mark.

As far as pass blocking goes, from what I have seen, I don't think the OL has done a horrible job. Moore does 2 things that cause a lot of the problems on the OL. First, Moore tends to want to drop back too far and then stay there. Even if every pass play is a 7 step drop Moore is still f**king up. The QB drops on 7 steps and then immediately starts coming back into the pocket, Moore drops 7 steps and then stands there. A 7 step drop works because it makes the DE's come too far upfield and allows the QB to come back up into a pocket. IF the QB doesn't come back up on a 7 step drop it is impossible for the OT's to block the DE's because it gives the DE's and advantagous angle to the QB. Moore is horrible at moving back into the pocket, creating a lot of protection issues.

The second issue that Moore has is what I referenced earlier. Moore is VERY slow on his reads in the passing game. If you watch, Moore usually would have a decent pocket and either break it too early or just not ever make a decision in time.

This also translates to the running game. Upon re-watching the game, I can count on one hand the amount of times that BOTH of the safeties for Tampa were more than 10 yards deep at the snap. You MIGHT need both hands to be able to account for the amount of timesthat there were less than 8 guys in the "box".

I don't know that Clausen is going to be the answer but if he is at least able to get rid of the ball and make quick decisions, look for a remarkable improvement in the OL.

Yeah I agree. What was overlooked when Clausen came in was how drastically improved/fluidly the Offense was moving. Jimmy looked very poised (aside from that horrendous overthrown screen pass) and the Offensive line actually looked decent.

If dumb ass Fox&Jeff can adjust the playbook to Jimmy's strengths (which is building off of the short passing game, to progressing into the long passing game) I can see a significant turn around in the offense.

But considering who the coaching staff is. I highly doubt that.

Clausen may not be the answer this season, but I do believe he'll be a good qb in the future.

Personally, I think that Clausen may be the answer for this season.

If he is only able to keep D's honest, I'm not talking about going yard all day, I am just talking about making completions when the D stacks the line and goes 1 on 1 against the WR, then our O will take a drastic upswing.

• 3 weeks later...

Here me out on this one. I know that is a popular thing to do right now to blame the OL on a lot of our problems, however for some of you I am about to blow your mind. I don't think the OL has any issues whatsoever, the whole problem has been Moore.

Now I am not trying to pile on Moore, he has had a rough go of it and there is no reason to just keep on craping on him. All of our OL issues are directly attributable to him though.

An average NFL pocket is good for 3-4 seconds. At the 3 second mark the QB needs to be either releasing the ball or in the process of releasing it. Moore is constantly not even into his progression at the 3 second mark.

As far as pass blocking goes, from what I have seen, I don't think the OL has done a horrible job. Moore does 2 things that cause a lot of the problems on the OL. First, Moore tends to want to drop back too far and then stay there. Even if every pass play is a 7 step drop Moore is still f**king up. The QB drops on 7 steps and then immediately starts coming back into the pocket, Moore drops 7 steps and then stands there. A 7 step drop works because it makes the DE's come too far upfield and allows the QB to come back up into a pocket. IF the QB doesn't come back up on a 7 step drop it is impossible for the OT's to block the DE's because it gives the DE's and advantagous angle to the QB. Moore is horrible at moving back into the pocket, creating a lot of protection issues.

The second issue that Moore has is what I referenced earlier. Moore is VERY slow on his reads in the passing game. If you watch, Moore usually would have a decent pocket and either break it too early or just not ever make a decision in time.

This also translates to the running game. Upon re-watching the game, I can count on one hand the amount of times that BOTH of the safeties for Tampa were more than 10 yards deep at the snap. You MIGHT need both hands to be able to account for the amount of timesthat there were less than 8 guys in the "box".

I don't know that Clausen is going to be the answer but if he is at least able to get rid of the ball and make quick decisions, look for a remarkable improvement in the OL.

HAHAHAHAHA, you definitely blew my mind with that comment .... Guess what, Moore is out and our O-Line and our running game still sucks balls. This is probably one of the stupidest asinine comments I've ever read. No wonder you hardly ever start threads, what, only like 20 in the last 2 years? Stick to what you do best man.

HAHAHAHAHA, you definitely blew my mind with that comment .... Guess what, Moore is out and our O-Line and our running game still sucks balls. This is probably one of the stupidest asinine comments I've ever read. No wonder you hardly ever start threads, what, only like 20 in the last 2 years? Stick to what you do best man.

same could be said for the people that start too many threads.

Our run game sucks because they put 10 in the box.

any offensive line in the league would look bad if every time brought 8 and nine guys into the box because they know your team has no passing game... i cant even count how many times the bears brought the house after our qb. 5 olineman against 6 or 7 rushers... you do the math..

Archived