• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ok, I don't know what to think of Steve Smith.

beckersteen

I like the dude and he has taken over games before like no other WR I've seen. I think his career has been underrated by everyone (I think he is or at least was a top 5 WR in the league), but lately... he has dropped the ball. Literally (see what I did there).

Idk, I'm worried about his play-making ability. I know he is up there in age, but I was hoping for two more epic seasons with him. I'M SO SAD GAIS

He's definitely lost a step. Look at how he was playing in 2005 and compare it to now. Anytime he caught the ball back then he was a threat to break several tackles and take it to the house. Now, not so much.

He's really lost that big YAC threat which was a huge part of his game. We never even throw him smoke routes anymore because he can't do anything with them and looks like he's losing the punt return job to Munnerlyn.

The other big part of his game was bailing out Delhomme's fluttering lame ducks by making miraculous grabs in double coverage. We still have iffy QB play but he's not making those same plays. Instead he leads the NFC in drops.

I think Smith is still a quality receiver but our offense is so bad right now, it's hard to tell if he has lost a step.

This is how I feel. I feel bad for the guy. He didnt have a good game last week and has struggled at times this season. But in a better offense with REAL quarterbacking he would still be a pro bowler. Instead we're gonna surround him with shitty QBing from here on out and throw him under the bus for not producing despite their lack of talent.

The fumble was kind of a freak play, he's never really had a fumbling problem and I don't expect to see that come up too often. The biggest thing to me on that play was that he caught the ball with plenty of room to work and only needed a few YAC to get a first. In years past that would have EASILY been a first down with the possibility of breaking off a huge play. Now he goes backwards, ends up surrounded by defenders and fumbles.

linky to play http://www.nfl.com/videos/carolina-panthers/09000d5d81bc39ac/Rams-defense-fumble-recovery

I think Smith is still a quality receiver but our offense is so bad right now, it's hard to tell if he has lost a step.

This.

There is a lot of pressure on Smitty to just BE the offence, especially given our ineffective running game, and rookie WRs this season. This team has leaned on him hard in the past, but this season, especially so.

Steve Smith is still an elite WR and has been the last 3 years we just haven't had a QB that can get him the ball. Our QB play over the last 2 and maybe even 3 years has got to be the worst in the NFL. Couple that with having either an old Moose, Jarrett or a rookie as your #2 and its basically impossible for him to do anything. I give him credit for not really having many diva moments though, if we had TO, Moss or Chad Johnson with the QB play and 2nd WRs we have had they would have burned down the stadium by now.

This is how I feel. I feel bad for the guy. He didnt have a good game last week and has struggled at times this season. But in a better offense with REAL quarterbacking he would still be a pro bowler. Instead we're gonna surround him with shitty QBing from here on out and throw him under the bus for not producing despite their lack of talent.

This is quite true. If you take the best piece of filet mignon, cook it to perfection, and let people look at and smell it, they'll say "Damn, that's nice". Then put it on a dirty plate with a pile of crap around it, and it loses it's appeal.

We have a lot of problems. I'm not giving Smitty a pass, but he's not the only problem. Are DWill and Stewie gonna get 1,100 yds rushing this year? Our TEAM is not very good. And the talent is not being utilized to it's full potential. Blame ownership and coaching.

The fumble was kind of a freak play, he's never really had a fumbling problem and I don't expect to see that come up too often. The biggest thing to me on that play was that he caught the ball with plenty of room to work and only needed a few YAC to get a first. In years past that would have EASILY been a first down with the possibility of breaking off a huge play. Now he goes backwards, ends up surrounded by defenders and fumbles.

linky to play http://www.nfl.com/videos/carolina-panthers/09000d5d81bc39ac/Rams-defense-fumble-recovery

he's fumbled 3 times in the last two games. he's also dropped a number of easy passes.

i just don't know if his head is in it right now.

Archived