• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are our CBs Cover 2 players?

Snake

we NEVER bump anyone at the line. ever. they're going to have to learn that if a Cover 2 scheme is going to be effective. Gamble can hang with receivers, but if Lucas comes up to the line to bump someone they'll probably run right past him.

all i know is that we got called for 1 pass interference call last year and that's just pathetic.

I know it doesn't really pertain to this thread but when our defense was actually good a few years ago, was Fox more involved or less involved than he was this past season? It would be interesting to make a comparison instead of assuming Fox will make Meeks his other hand puppet.

Definitely, no way to know for certain. My guess is we'll see some of the nosetackle/under tackle stuff from the Tampa 2 front, we'll stay one-gap, and we'll play zone.

Which I'm fine with. We started out a cover 2 shell team until we started working the cover 3 more in 03, and then after the pass interference changes after 2003 we were one of the teams (including most of the league) that abandoned the cover 2 and got real corners.

Actually, to be terribly specific, the Tampa 2 is a three deep coverage where the safeties are the sideline thirds, the MLB is a deep drop centerfield, and the corners play under with the two OLB. It's not a two deep at all. At least, that's the most common call from it. We've run a cover-3 shell with either one safety up or one corner playing under, so it's not terribly different, Fox just disguises coverages more.

It could be a combination of both...

We have no idea what it'll be, but I could see it being eerily similiar.

Then again, I could see variations...

None of us know.

I don't think that a coordinator runs a scheme that differs from what the head coach runs when they are both defensive guys.

I hope the Panthers are not thinking of playing Tampa 2 defense. Tampa 2 is terrible at stopping the run, especially teams that play-action pass. Also it's easier to complete short passes against Tampa 2, but harder to complete long passes.

I'll give you an example of how teams attack our Cover 2. Let's take Chis Harris for example. He has a zone to defend in the deep half of the field. So our oppontent will line up 2 WRs on his side of the field. The WR to the outside runs a go route and ends up on the far left side of Harris' zone. The WR on the inside runs an out route and ends up on the far right side of Harris' zone. Harris can't defend both WRs. Our Cover 2 is designed to make teams attack us deep. The idea being that our front 4 will kill the QB before the WRs get to our Safeties and soft spots. We just didn't have a good pass rush this year.

Tampa 2 is designed to take the pressure off the Safeties and force the opposing team the throw short. Tampa 2 is NOT good against the short pass or play action runs up the middle. But the Tampa 2 is much better against deep passes than Cover 2. If we play Tampa 2, then teams will attack Diggs by sending a TE and WR on quick slants into his zone. Or worse, the TE will run a short curl route right near Diggs, while a WR runs a slant route through his zone. NOT GOOD. If Diggs takes the TE, then the WR will burn the trailing CB alive. If Diggs takes the WR, then the TE will be wide open and they will 'dink and dunk' us all day. I don't like Tampa 2.

Archived