• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaches to never win a Super Bowl; Cowher's 1

raleigh-panther

There are only 28 coaches who have won super bowls in the 44 played. That is a very small number considering how many NFL coaches there have been in that span.

Agreed. And fwiw I believe it takes skill as a coach, along with some luck be a Superbowl winning coach. Most of the coaches that have won multiple Superbowls have managed to hook with some great talent (especially at QB) that stayed together for a few years. Belicheck with Brady, Walsh with Montana, Rice, Lott etc... Parcells with Taylor and Simms, Johnson with Aikman, Irving and Smith. Only coach to win multiple superbowls with relative scrubs at QB was Gibbs who won them with Theisman, Williams and Rypien.

how is this Panthers related?

Have you been reading the board?

One of the base arguments against Cowher is:

'It took him 10 years to win a Superbowl'

I am simply providing facts from the record books that even winning one Super Bowl is pretty damned good and that there are many great coaches, great coaches by anybody's scale, that didn't win one.

...and I provided a link that gives the facts. There can simply be no non-factual argument on how long it takes to win a Superbowl, Cowher won one in his time and many great coaches, came close, and no cigar.

It also points out too, if you look closely, that most of the coaches in the modern era who did win multiple times, had a great QB and it also points out that middle-of the road coaches (Caldwell in Indy) benefit from a great one. Do you think, in anyway, that Caldwell, without Manning, would have gotten a SuperBowl ring, I don't think so.

I am simply providing facts from the record books that even winning one Super Bowl is pretty damned good and that there are many great coaches, great coaches by anybody's scale, that didn't win one.

...and I provided a link that gives the facts. There can simply be no non-factual arguement on how long it takes to win a Superbowl, Cowher won one in his time and many great coaches, came close, and no cigar.

It also points out too, if you look closely, that most of the coaches who did win multiple times, had a great QB and it also points that middle-of the road coaches (Caldwell) in Indy, benefits from a great one.

There are a few fans who believe since a Head Coach hasn't yet won a Super Bowl with 2 different teams it can't be done.

That's the type of mentality that pervaded baseball too I'm sure until someone like Sparky Anderson won a World series with 2 different teams, and in 2 different leagues for that matter.

...and I provided a link that gives the facts. There can simply be no non-factual argument on how long it takes to win a Superbowl, Cowher won one in his time and many great coaches, came close, and no cigar.

It also points out too, if you look closely, that most of the coaches in the modern era who did win multiple times, had a great QB and it also points out that middle-of the road coaches (Caldwell in Indy) benefit from a great one. Do you think, in anyway, that Caldwell, without Manning, would have gotten a SuperBowl ring, I don't think so.

Caldwell totally hasn't won a superbowl. Who cares that Cowher has won a superbowl. I just hope we win another game.

I aqree with that we all hope to win another game.

This thread is meant to factually address those people who feel Cowher should not be coach here because quote 'it took him 10 years to win one'.

I want Cowher as coach so that the Panthers can do more than win another game. I want a proven winner. I think he's the right man for the job, so I am prejudiced. I just find people who use the time it took him to win a SuperBowl to not represent the facts in the NFL as related to coaching.

I aqree with that we all hope to win another game.

This thread is meant to factually address those people who feel Cowher should not be coach here because quote 'it took him 10 years to win one'.

I want Cowher as coach so that the Panthers can do more than win another game. I want a proven winner. I think he's the right man for the job, so I am prejudiced. I just find people who use the time it took him to win a SuperBowl to not represent the facts in the NFL as related to coaching.

Cool beans, I just had no idea what you were trying to do bringing this up.

Agreed. And fwiw I believe it takes skill as a coach, along with some luck be a Superbowl winning coach. Most of the coaches that have won multiple Superbowls have managed to hook with some great talent (especially at QB) that stayed together for a few years. Belicheck with Brady, Walsh with Montana, Rice, Lott etc... Parcells with Taylor and Simms, Johnson with Aikman, Irving and Smith. Only coach to win multiple superbowls with relative scrubs at QB was Gibbs who won them with Theisman, Williams and Rypien.

And Gruden.

George Seifert is on that list of super bowl winning coaches. He will go down as one of the the worst coaches in Panther history. We don't need a proven winner. We need someone who can win in the future.

A proven winner is more likely than a nobody to win in the future. Seifert is merely a counter example which does not invalidate the point.

Bring on Cowher

Archived