• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaches to never win a Super Bowl; Cowher's 1

raleigh-panther

Have you been reading the board?

One of the base arguments against Cowher is:

'It took him 10 years to win a Superbowl'

I am simply providing facts from the record books that even winning one Super Bowl is pretty damned good and that there are many great coaches, great coaches by anybody's scale, that didn't win one.

...and I provided a link that gives the facts. There can simply be no non-factual argument on how long it takes to win a Superbowl, Cowher won one in his time and many great coaches, came close, and no cigar.

It also points out too, if you look closely, that most of the coaches in the modern era who did win multiple times, had a great QB and it also points out that middle-of the road coaches (Caldwell in Indy) benefit from a great one. Do you think, in anyway, that Caldwell, without Manning, would have gotten a SuperBowl ring, I don't think so.

i started a thread about luck yesterday, showing all that glitters isnt gold and it was moved I presume because it wasnt panthers related, yet we have a sticky here about luck.

I guess I have to say to our moderators WTF?:confused:

George Seifert is on that list of super bowl winning coaches. He will go down as one of the the worst coaches in Panther history. We don't need a proven winner. We need someone who can win in the future.

You have your opinion and I have mine.

At my age, the future is now, right now.

You think those available free agents would not jump at the chance to play for Cowher vs. some assistant? There is a vast difference between being a HC and the hot assistant. Dom Capers was the 'hot' assistant at one time as was John Fox.

As somebody who puts out a lot of money and time to go to the games every week, I'd like to have somebody who has been there and done that and someone who traditionally put tough teams on the field.

I'm sick and tired of this team being pushed around by the best and the worst of teams. I feel like the team Cowher would put on the field could at least be competitive.

Siefert, in my opinion, was an aberration.

Richardson won't bring in a big name head coach. He learned his lesson last time. He will bring in someone up and coming, probably a Superbowl Assistant coach or the fan favorite Jim Harbaugh.

What lesson did he learn from hiring Capers/Fox?

you realize that a lot of these arguments can be used to say that harbaugh might be a great choice as well, right?

one of the chief complaints about cowher that i have and have seen isn't that it took him so long to win a ring, because he still was able to get them in the playoffs and overall in better position to be there than most coaches. the issue is that no head coach has won a ring with two different teams. does that mean it can't happen? nope. but then you have cowher fans complaining about harbaugh and citing all the examples of how college coaches failed when they made the jump to the pros.

you can't have it both ways. you either judge all the candidtates on their individual merits or none of them. you don't base your decision just on where they have coached and how other coaches have done from that situation. you judge them individually based on the criteria that you look for in a coach.

these are some of the things i look for...not an exhaustive list or in order, btw.

a track record of success.

respected in the league.

easily respectable.

charismatic.

mature.

ability to build a successful program.

ability to motivate the players to not just be competitive, but dominant.

innovative.

ability to bring in good assistant coaches.

experience in the NFL and ability to relate to the players.

accustomed to the speed of the game.

not a micro-manager.

someone who is on the upswing of his career rather than on the downside.

someone who hasn't peaked yet.

aggressive.

Archived