• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official Press Conference Response Thread

chknwing

If I were Andrew Luck...I would be.

Geez...this press conference was embarrassing.

What positive came from it?

Yes...we know it's a business and letting us know how all that works. A reporter should've contrasted his combative tone today to his "apology" and understanding that fans pay the bills and that fans fill the seats and that fans want something to believe in. They could give a rat's ass about his financial statements.

Does this sound like an owner that really cares about the team? Or the business philosophy OF the team. By the way...what the hell does the business philosophy of the team mean anyway? What organization philosophy are they speaking of (talking about coaching search)?

As an example, JR made a comment that he's "extremely enthusiastic" about the team and doesn't feel we need to "breath life" into it like he did in 2001... I would have liked someone to ask him how he could be so enthusiastic about a 2-14 team?

Well this years team did have 2x the number of wins of the 2001 team. :rolleyes: How can you not be enthusiastic about that? :banghead:

Can someone give me any positive reason for Andrew Luck to take from this press conference and come to a decision of whether to come out or not.

Sure, according to JR we are committed to winning and willing to spend money to do so. In particular, we want to have back-to-back winning seasons and we want to focus on giving younger players (like Luck) a shot vs. relying so much on veterans, these were the biggest issues with the prior coaching staff.

Yeah, I wasn't really passing judgement just commenting on what I heard - but I do think there's a point at which this may be penny wise but pound foolish.

If you've lost faith in your coaching staff, then it might be worth every cent to send them on a paid permanent vacation for the sake of the greater good.

That money comes from somewhere, and it's not unlimited. If he fired the staff then he'd have less to spend on a new one, or less to spend on players, or something like that.

Sure, according to JR we are committed to winning and willing to spend money to do so. In particular, we want to have back-to-back winning seasons and we want to focus on giving younger players (like Luck) a shot vs. relying so much on veterans, these were the biggest issues with the prior coaching staff.

I agree. Carolina holds all the cards here, not Luck. If Luck wants to come out he's going to be a Panther, or they're going to get a boatload of assets for him in a bidding war. If Luck were to foolishly return to Stanford without Harbaugh and without a ton of his starters, he'd be risking a lot. Stanford is taking a nosedive next year, with or without Luck.

Well he did confirm that the reports on him being "too cheap" to pay big bucks for a new coach were inaccurate.

Yup, very adamantly by pointing out that our coaching payroll was 11 million dollars this season which was 5th highest in the league.

He also made the point that he thought it was funny he was being criticized for being too cheap when a few years ago he was criticized for spending too much on guys like Delhomme and Peppers.

JR reminds me of "Columbo" the TV detective from the 70's or maybe more appropriately "Matlock"... he starts with this goofy rambling about cell phones, emails and Morgan to get your guard down and then he goes right for the throat...

I'm almost positive that you cant have back to back winning seasons with a team made of young players. Call me crazy but doesnt experience breed success? Why wouldnt you play your vets, their more reliable, young players are given a chance to show what they can do, its up to them to make the best of it or remain behind a vet.

What I learned in class today:

1. No chance Harbaugh will be Carolina's new coach

2. 99% chance the new coach will be an assistant coach.

3. I didnt see any reporter ask about Bill Cowher???

4. Hard stance on the CBA with a lockout coming.

5. JR says that they will keep the #1 pick but thats just for other owners to know

that its going to cost alot to get it if Luck comes out.

6. If Luck comes out 99% chance Carolina takes him :)

7. JR got a young heart and is going to destroy it with Bojangles biscuits.

8. Pics of that Morgan chick because he was all about her.

9. He came off as a powerful figure who knows it. Rude or not, he is to the point.

10. Whats your name and who do you work for?

That money comes from somewhere, and it's not unlimited. If he fired the staff then he'd have less to spend on a new one, or less to spend on players, or something like that.

Understood and I'm not suggesting it's easy for anyone to take an 11 million dollar bath, but sometimes you have to make the right decision in-spite of money that's already spent for the greater good.

At this point it's irrelevant, "it is what it is".

CONTRADICTIONS

Marty said that hiring an assistant coach was successful in the past so he would be true to his history--but then he added that they were keeping an open mind--after JR said most of the playoff teams hired HCs who were NFL assistants. THen he made the dumbass Steelers comparison.

1. Didn't you just fire a coach who was an assistant when hired?

2. If you say that it is has been historically successful to hire an assistant coach, are you referring to Capers and Fox?

We will not trade out of the first overall pick this year under the present situation.

1. What if Luck doesn't come out?

2. Was this aimed at the press or Hurney?

Ok...take those positives and ask yourself what would have been the opposite statement from those and what owner would say it. While I agree a philosophy change should occur regarding taking risks with younger players vs. vets because Fox was horrible at this. Which makes me wonder...did JR/Marty ever really have a sit down with Fox and mandate that he get Armanti in the game. You know...the dude who we invested a lot in and yet couldn't see the field? If the coach fails to comply...deal with it.

I don't think Luck comes away with that one point and doesn't realize that the Panthers have no vet option at QB.

too bad when we say we will trade him and he declares and we draft him anyways, he will have no choice but to ride the pine for a year.

With the rest of the league? The CBA crap better contain a clause that extends the time a player is obligated to the team that drafts them.

Archived