• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official Press Conference Response Thread

chknwing

What I learned in class today:

1. No chance Harbaugh will be Carolina's new coach

2. 99% chance the new coach will be an assistant coach.

3. I didnt see any reporter ask about Bill Cowher???

4. Hard stance on the CBA with a lockout coming.

5. JR says that they will keep the #1 pick but thats just for other owners to know

that its going to cost alot to get it if Luck comes out.

6. If Luck comes out 99% chance Carolina takes him :)

7. JR got a young heart and is going to destroy it with Bojangles biscuits.

8. Pics of that Morgan chick because he was all about her.

9. He came off as a powerful figure who knows it. Rude or not, he is to the point.

10. Whats your name and who do you work for?

Nobody asked about Cowher, but Hurney made it clear they were not going to discuss specific potential candidates so that would have been a wasted question.

That money comes from somewhere, and it's not unlimited. If he fired the staff then he'd have less to spend on a new one, or less to spend on players, or something like that.

True it does which is why NFL ownership is a richman's game. I don't recall hearing Jerry Jones or other owners complain about such. If he can't take an 11 million hit for a coaching change; when he admits he lost faith in them and wanted a change. Its time for an ownership change, bring in a minority owner or something. Frankly this PC gave me no hope for future of franchise. He says money isn't a factor and willing to spend, but it obviously is a factor.

^ That's what Gantt is implying.

True it does which is why NFL ownership is a richman's game. I don't recall hearing Jerry Jones or other owners complain about such. If he can't take an 11 million hit for a coaching change; when he admits he lost faith in them and wanted a change. Its time for an ownership change, bring in a minority owner or something. Frankly this PC gave me no hope for future of franchise. He says money isn't a factor and willing to spend, but it obviously is a factor.

Didn't that topic segway into the discussion about the CBA? With him not wanting to re-sign his star players until that's figured out why would he spend 11M to fire coaches? And let's not confuse can't and won't.

And one reporter hinted at it, but didn't make his point well enough. THIS is an offensive heavy division Ryan, Brees, Freeman...and we're perfectly willing to accept hiring a defensive minded coach (Rivera, Ryan, etc) for the position and not attempt to keep up with the Jones(s). Rules in the NFL benefit offenses...and we're being left behind. Especially with Scrooge McDuck.

While I agree a philosophy change should occur regarding taking risks with younger players vs. vets because Fox was horrible at this..

Tampa Bay showed the league you can win with young players. 10 rookies started and they would have made the playoffs in any other division. With the new CBA rookie scale, successful bottom lines are going to go to teams that win with young players. Julius Peppers was demanding $19 million per season while the owner of his team was buried in the NFL books. Sobering.

If rookie contracts are held in check, there is no doubt that winning in a smallish market will hinge on the coach's ability to find and develop talent. When you rely on veterans, you are demanding expensive players to function. We need a coach that beleives in young talent.

JR made a comment that a lot of people are skipping over. He said that the next coach will have to be about meeting the needs of the organization and not about the organization meeting the needs of the coach. Specifically, its the job of the coach to make sure fans buy tickets, come to the game, spend money on merchandise and ultimently win.

That actually says a lot to me and I don't see that as being a yes man but rather someone who is willing to take chances and step outside of their comfort zone when it is better for the organization and team.

And I know everyone is saying Harbaugh isn't a canidate but I'm not sure. I think JR's response was more to do with Harbaugh once being a player and JR getting confused a little. JR has never came across as a micro manager and I think he is still leaving the majority of the decission making, i.e. who to interview, up to Hurney and Morrison. Hurney in constract and as usual never gave a hint as to who was or wasn't a likely canidate. Harbaugh could still be interviewed IMO.

And one reporter hinted at it, but didn't make his point well enough. THIS is an offensive heavy division Ryan, Brees, Freeman...and we're perfectly willing to accept hiring a defensive minded coach (Rivera, Ryan, etc) for the position and not attempt to keep up with the Jones(s). Rules in the NFL benefit offenses...and we're being left behind. Especially with Scrooge McDuck.

out of the 2 qbs u mentioned 2 have defensive minded head coaches bro.

remember that.

Tampa Bay showed the league you can win with young players. 10 rookies started and they would have made the playoffs in any other division. With the new CBA rookie scale, successful bottom lines are going to go to teams that win with young players. Julius Peppers was demanding $19 million per season while the owner of his team was buried in the NFL books. Sobering.

If rookie contracts are held in check, there is no doubt that winning in a smallish market will hinge on the coach's ability to find and develop talent. When you rely on veterans, you are demanding expensive players to function. We need a coach that beleives in young talent.

Yep. I wasn't in the pay Julius camp. He got greedy. Let the Bears pay crazy money.

Archived