• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Offensive Coordinators

The Saltman

Most college contracts have an out to go to the NFL if the opportunity arises. Harbaugh was still under contract to coach at Stanford. Just sayin...

So, before he even gets introduced at Florida, he leaves for the NFL?

There would be some people in Gainesville very upset about that.

people don't seem to understand you can't just name a name. That coach has to either be out of contract, like the fired staffs, or get permission from their team, which is remarkably unlikely.

Yep I remember Carolina denying a couple of coaches interviews a few years back.

people don't seem to understand you can't just name a name. That coach has to either be out of contract, like the fired staffs, or get permission from their team, which is remarkably unlikely.

Isn't there like an opt out for most coaches who get promoted?

Isn't there like an opt out for most coaches who get promoted?

no.

they can let their contracts expire in a future year, and leave for potentially better opportunity, but most don't. Stability's often better than being more important at a lesser franchise.

A few franchises allow their guys to go get promoted -

Baltimore (let JDR go to us to promote to DC, let Singletary go to promote to assistant head coach even though he was still going to be a LBs coach; I think they let a DBs coach go to JDR once in Jax to be DC, and more recently let Hue Jackson go because he could be OC in Oakland)

San Diego (though that was under Schottenheimer, they let Brian Schottenheimer go to be OC, Chudzinski to Cleveland for same, all while losing their actual OC and DC),

and Philadelphia (allowed Shurmur interview until he became an OC after a few years of trying, let Spags leave to be DC, and so on)

but most don't, preferring to force assistants to honor contracts. We denied plenty of teams after 07, only to let anyone who wanted to leave in 08, but only because of Fox's insistence they go.

So, I'm not sure if it's up to the head coach or what, but it's just unlikely that any team will allow us to just raid their staff. Even if that were the case, lateral moves are not going to happen.

The thing I worry about with Childress is, his development of QBs. He had the Fox vet syndrome, rather than developing a young QB. He put all his money on Favre, which ultimately got him fired, I wonder if he CAN develop one, because he didnt.

true, but he's not the one picking the QBs in this case. As a matter of fact, the idea would be that he's just the OC, and not the quarterbacks coach anyway. It's whether or not he's running an offense well, and I think he can do that.

and, of course, that he's not intended to be the team leadership or spokesman in the case of him possibly being OC.

Archived