• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Andrew Luck with #1 in 2012?

chknwing

Can someone dig up the official rules on the lockout, mainly what happens with the 2012 draft if 2011 is a lockout year. It definately seems possible for Carolina to draft AJ Green this year and Andrew Luck next year. Remember, JR is running the show with the CBA thing. He can make this happen.

This is what the NHL did when they had a lockout to determine the draft order in the year following the lockout.

1. Each team starts with 3 lottery balls, for a total of 90.

2. Each playoff berth in the previous 3 seasons would take away a ball, as well as for every first overall pick (awarded first overall pick, traded picks didn't count) with a lower limit of one lottery ball, leaving 48 lottery balls.

3. The lottery balls were drawn like a daily lottery, with the first ball being chosen being the first pick, going on through until the final ball was drawn. Only the first ball chosen counted. The 18 repeat balls were thrown away with only a team's first selection counting.

4. The draft was in snake format, meaning the team that selected first in the first round would have the last pick in the second round, first pick in the third round, last in the fourth round, etc.

well think about it, JR said in the PC that he was not as positive about negotiations as others were. I'm thinking the owners will side with him with whatever he thinks. Since there are 7 rounds. I cant see them holding a lottery or anything complicated. I think they do the same drafting order except for where teams traded that years pick, they get that pick in 2012. Also, if JR knows there will be a lock out year. Could he trade away the #1 pick for another teams next year, for a player and or other picks, thus giving carolina 2 picks in the first round one being #1 overall. With that all said, I doubt they lack the skill to pull something like that off. They couldn't even figure out not to run a draw on 3rd and 10.

Archived