• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFC Scout on Gabbert

unicar15

Misuse of the word really. Essentially I meant, players who are considered 'franchise' QBs and are playing well. Just needed a shorter way of saying it.

You really do pick on tiny things people say rather than thinking about the overall content.

Those are important details though. I understood your point but I just can't let stuff like that go. Maybe I'm OCD about QBs but there are maybe 5-6 elite QBs and a few other good ones. Most are just average but look better or worse based on situations around them and players around them.

I have never heard of Gabbert until Luck didn't declare

How much do you pay attention to college quarterbacks? He was getting some press when Mizzou was undefeated earlier in the year and he has been one of the top QBs the last two years, tho obviously much lower last year.

Not much but usually during the offseason you hear about the top choices. I heard about Newton, Mallett, Locker, and Luck. Now that Luck didn't declare, suddenly this asshole's name pops up and he's suddenly better than the other 3 (not including Luck) that had gotten more attention.

Not much but usually during the offseason you hear about the top choices. I heard about Newton, Mallett, Locker, and Luck. Now that Luck didn't declare, suddenly this asshole's name pops up and he's suddenly better than the other 3 (not including Luck) that had gotten more attention.

Almost no-one thought Gabbert would declare this year for whatever reason. He was in the conversation, but he was below Mallett, Locker, and Luck. Locker was expected to keep pace with Luck and show he would be a franchise guy, with Mallett as the big risk/reward guy, and Gabbert was the steady guy nobody really expected to come out so soon. I personally heard absolutely nothing about Newton when it comes to draft stock this last offseason so maybe it's a regional difference?

For the record I can't stand his passes. Everything is looped, asking to be jumped upon. Even short passes have a little loop to them even when in traffic. Only time his passes look like they belong is when he is heaving it. He also seems to have slow footwork, despite the benefit of always starting in the shotgun.

For the record I can't stand his passes. Everything is looped, asking to be jumped upon. Even short passes have a little loop to them even when in traffic. Only time his passes look like they belong is when he is heaving it. He also seems to have slow footwork, despite the benefit of always starting in the shotgun.

His passes have some arch on them, yeah, but the weird thing is that his sophmore year one of the critiques of him was that he was gunning balls in too hard.

His footwork does need work, though. It's not as bad as it could be though, he is able to sidestep pressure some of the time, but he really is not good at stepping up in the pocket just yet.

I don't see him as ending up as a Carolina Panther.

His passes have some arch on them, yeah, but the weird thing is that his sophmore year one of the critiques of him was that he was gunning balls in too hard.

His footwork does need work, though. It's not as bad as it could be though, he is able to sidestep pressure some of the time, but he really is not good at stepping up in the pocket just yet.

I don't see him as ending up as a Carolina Panther.

Pretty much agree with what you have said there. There certainly is more zip on the ball this year it appears.

It's difficult to really see how he translates, but he doesn't have the poise to stand in the pocket and is always looking to get out as soon as people get near him.

He does try and get it out very quickly, however a ton of passes are short dump offs, I am just not sure how much of an upgrade he would be.

I am not ruling anything out, but if we did pick him, it would simply be desperation to have a 'franchise QB' on the roster.

Pretty much agree with what you have said there. There certainly is more zip on the ball this year it appears.

It's difficult to really see how he translates, but he doesn't have the poise to stand in the pocket and is always looking to get out as soon as people get near him.

He does try and get it out very quickly, however a ton of passes are short dump offs, I am just not sure how much of an upgrade he would be.

I am not ruling anything out, but if we did pick him, it would simply be desperation to have a 'franchise QB' on the roster.

The majority of his passes are short because that is how his offense actually works. He runs a short passing offense where he dinks and dunks until the defense moves up and then he takes shots deep. He is not afraid to go deep and he does have a decent deep ball (there are a ton of highlights of those passes). However, if you're throwing ~40 throws a game, a lot of them are going to be underneath... and his are. Saying his passes are all dumpoffs is a bit misleading because it is not as if he is standing in the pocket, scrambling out and throwing to a running back 3 feet in front of him... Many of the plays are 6-7 yard routes or types of screens save for when he goes deep

His major upgrade over Clausen IMO is in the area of intangibles and mechanics. Whether that's worth a first rounder or not is a discussion in and of itself, but I do think he has the pieces to become a great starter... the question is where he lands and who is there to develop him. He is going to go in the first round, though, and he could go quite high if his combine and workouts go as expected... also, a good wonderlic score would help him.... how much it really matters in the NFL is a debate for another day haha

Archived