• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Moore: I would love to stay in Carolina

The Saltman

Before we go any further with this. Do any of you Matt Moore supporter feel like Jimmy and Matt were on equal playing field when this season started?

Why would that matter?

You're acting like most of us are advocating a spot for Moore but not for Clausen.

Do you not understand the words that were coming out of HIS MOUTH????

Nobody made this up Matt said it himself. Damn why is this so hard 2 understand???

putting a lot of pressure on yourself for a week 1 game on the road in NY in your season doesn't mean he can't be a starter. He said he put a lot of pressure on himself that game. Doesn't mean he can't start.

Why would that matter?

You're acting like most of us are advocating a spot for Moore but not for Clausen.

It does matter Mav because when people keep making statements like

"Matt Look better then any other QB we have" He should have.

"Matt got the ball 2 steve smith better" He play with him for how long and how many times did jimmy get with him?

"Jimmy ran the same system in college" Yeah Weiss was on our sidelines and we use the same terminology?????

People keep wanting 2 compare Matt 2 Jimmy and not given any credit 2 the fact that Matt had a 4 year head start and all the benefits you get from that.

Before we go any further with this. Do any of you Matt Moore supporter feel like Jimmy and Matt were on equal playing field when this season started?

No.

However, I think Jimmy was in a better situation in his rookie year to succeed (specically the last few games) than Moore was his rookie year. Moore was signicantly better as a rookie as well.

I think we should keep Moore, with the mindset that he'll be moderately cheap for a backup QB. I don't think it's fair to judge Moore, or Clausen after last year. It's obvious we had a lame duck coach who knew he was on the outs, an owner that went cheap and let important vets go, and a offensive coordinator who is a joke and to my knowledge, hasn't even been up for a new job across the NFL. The offensive line wasn't as great this year, and our QB's were getting a lot more pressure than they should have.

Moore looked good at the end of 2009, and that's where I'm judging him. When we were still trying to win. He isn't elite, and he may not ever be starter material, but he's definitely worth a backup role. I'd like to see him with a new coaching staff, you know, one that possibly can develop QB's? Or a coach that game plans to his players' strengths instead of keeping the same strategies every year with different players.

I'd still like to bring in a vet, but I'd definitely take Moore over Pike.

..Pointless.. JR and Marty don't plan on re-signing Moore..

Their dissatisfaction for the QB play this season was publicly expressed.. which included Moore.

Clausen might have looked worse than any rookie QB in who knows how long.....

Carolina is at least gonna need some bodies to compete. Moore would provide better competition than Clausen. Clausen might not get better. We need more options than the Clausen and garbage vet to teach him approach.

putting a lot of pressure on yourself for a week 1 game on the road in NY in your season doesn't mean he can't be a starter. He said he put a lot of pressure on himself that game. Doesn't mean he can't start.

He should have know better then. All offseason people local and national Media were saying the samething "could Matt handle being the Man". Matt knew that book was out their about him. Plus the fact that he looked horrible in the preseason. He should have played better game one and shut everybody up. Sorry he didn't. So the problem for Matt is now not only does the media feel that way but a few people in the FO do as well.

It does matter Mav because when people keep making statements like

"Matt Look better then any other QB we have" He should have.

"Matt got the ball 2 steve smith better" He play with him for how long and how many times did jimmy get with him?

"Jimmy ran the same system in college" Yeah Weiss was on our sidelines and we use the same terminology?????

People keep wanting 2 compare Matt 2 Jimmy and not given any credit 2 the fact that Matt had a 4 year head start and all the benefits you get from that.

1) Moore's rookie year he looked pretty good. He also got Smith the ball every time he played, no matter how many years he'd been in the league. Moore has never been cautious with the deep ball.

2) A big advantage of Jimmy Clausen was that he was "pro ready" and that the offense he ran at Notre Dame was supposed to be very similar to what we ran (I don't believe that for a second anymore).

3) Both QBs looked bad last year. Honestly you can't evaluate much from either one. Moore had more positive than Clausen, as you'd expect, but there were so many deficiencies elsewhere that has to be taken into account. So what do you do? Look at past performances, too, which means college for Clausen and pros for Moore. I have no doubt that Clausen (and Moore for that matter) will look better next year. The question is how much. Camp will help answer that.

4) They are not competing for the same spot yet. That is what camp is for. However, there's no reason not to go into camp with 4 QBs, two of whom have more than a year under them. I dont expect us to cut Clausen or put him on the practice squad, and I believe we NEED to carry a long term vet this year who can play for us for an extended time if necessary, but that still leaves one spot on the roster after camp. Right now it looks like it'd be Pike versus whoever, and unless Pike has dramatically improved (which he could have, we'll see in camp)...

It's ALWAYS good to have competition and frankly I think that we want to bring in a youngish FA to compete as well as an aged veteran. There are a few other options but honestly I think Moore makes the most sense, all things considered (no guarantee on starting or where they would be on the depth chart, new staff that isn't big on WCO it appears, etc).

Archived