• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Teams that have recently rebuilt: Who should we copy?

unicar15

Id say the jets honestly. they have been mediocre for a long time. Now they have a good defense, an aggressive coach, and a capable QB.

The Jets are opposite of the Panthers philosophies. They would not bring in guys like Jason Taylor, Santonio Holmes, B. Edwards, LT, Crommotie ect ect. Not the panther style.

Id say the jets honestly. they have been mediocre for a long time. Now they have a good defense, an aggressive coach, and a capable QB.
probably this. i'd put rivera on the same level as ryan easily. it wouldn't hurt to have a shutdown corner, but if we improve the pressure from the front 7, the CBs we have will probably be enough to handle the receivers coming at them.

we just have to find that capable QB. i don't think we should settle for just capable, though.

It's so fugging easy to say that but with the current options available to us, how do you suggest we get that done?

Take a QB just because we need one even though they are all projects?

Trade a 1st rounder for one that might be one but who knows he could be at best Jake Delhomme or Matt Moore?

Let last year's franchise QB develop with a year under his belt?

Sign an aging franchise QB that is nothing more than a stop gap now?

What do you do?

Don't give me generalizations, give me a specific plan of what YOU would do with actual names.

With actual names this is what I would do:

Dangle the 1st round pick out there for Denver, Cincy, and Philly and if we could get good compensation including Kyle Orton, Carson Palmer, or Kevin Kolb then I would consider making the deal. A good deal IMO would be:

Panthers #1 for Kyle Orton and Denver's #1.

Panthers #1 and Clausen for Carson Palmer and Cincy's #1.

Panthers #1 for Kevin Kolb and Philly's #1.

Truthfully, the first scenario is the one I like the best. I'd take Orton just as fast as I'd take Kolb and it wouldn't be as much of a downgrade from the #1 pick. If we did the deal with Cincy then we could even have Palmer and then take AJ Green as well for another weapon for him to throw to. Do I think any of these scenarios will happen? No. But those are scenarios that I would at least like to see attempted rather than staying at #1 and just taking a DT.

If we are focused on bringing in a veteran free agent then the first place you have to look is Mike Vick (assuming the Eagles stick with Kolb). Maybe you look at a guy like Vince Young if the organization thinks they can keep him under control.

However, I like the idea of making a trade for one of the aforementioned three at the top OR drafting one of the QBs in this year's class if they show promise.

One thing that we all need to remember is that Marty Hurney likes to make deals (some of them aren't always good). But if he makes a deal to trade the 1st pick and we got a pick later in the 1st round and also a future 1st round pick, I could see us trying to move up if we see two players we want this year.

Qb may or may not be in place, depending on how he can evolve. If not, eh.

I say we follow the path of the '01 Panthers. 1-15 season, shitty coach that didn't care. Two years later, with the help of a new coaching staff, some new faces on the team, the Panthers are NFC Champions.

Qb may or may not be in place, depending on how he can evolve. If not, eh.

I say we follow the path of the '01 Panthers. 1-15 season, shitty coach that didn't care. Two years later, with the help of a new coaching staff, some new faces on the team, the Panthers are NFC Champions.

YEP! So that means our starting franchise QB is a no-name backup somewhere or playing in some other league. Quick what QB can we get from the UFL this year?

In the past 5 or so years we have seen a lot of teams that were in the crapper come back and rebuild to be legitimate superbowl and playoff contenders. Among those teams there are:

Saints - Peyton came in and the biggest weapon that he brought was Brees. Brees was a free agent QB that revolutionized that team. The Saints drafts focused on surrounding Brees with weapons. Since Peyton has been there he has found Bush, Colston, Meachem and Henderson. He also brought in Shockey and established Pierre Thomas as his feature back. Aside from Malcolm Jenkins and Vilma they really didn't make a ton of moves on defense. I think its safe to say that the Saints followed an offensive model to build.

Chiefs - Pioli was the architect for this team and like the Saints, he hired and offensive coach as his HC. On offense they made one really big move, sign Matt Cassel. However, I think its safe to say that with the picks of Glenn Dorsey, Tyson Jackson, Eric Berry, Brandon Flowers and Javier Arenas and the additions of guys like Vrabel their focus was on defense.

Falcons - After Mike Vick and before Matt Ryan the Falcons were essentially the Panthers. They had some decent pieces on both offense and defense but they had no QB. Their transformation started with QB but unlike the previous two teams they went through the draft. The first order of this rebuild was to take Ryan 3rd overall. Before the combine and pro days, Ryan was not considered a top 5 pick. I remember seeing mocks with him going in the teens (just remember that when evaluating this years crop of QBs). After adding Ryan they picked up a solid runner (Turner) and an escape option for Ryan (Gonzalez). They have made a few more additions on offense with a left tackle (Baker) but really those 3 moves are the biggest.

The Chiefs went through the draft more than the Falcons, you actually point out all the additions the Falcons made through FA..

I like what the Chiefs have done, but we'll see where they end up.. They have been a favorite of mine for the last 2 years, and showed this year drastic improvement..

----------------

I really don't think we have to model ourselves after anyone.. there are some basic rules that need followed, but with Rivera, the main thing is to not stay stagnant.. don't try to fit a mold.

We have to find a really really solid QB somewhere, somehow, at some point.. from there, make the addition of Green (great character, will be here a long time).. I would say grab a FA, but there are less character concerns with Green..

our team is pretty well set.. then go FA to find a DT (draft another one in the 3rd).. we need another CB... from there we need a lot of projects and fillers..

see if we can nab a TE in FA.. if not, it's up to Rivera's opinion on whether Barnidge or Rosario can fit the bill.

Panthers #1 for Kyle Orton and Denver's #1.

Panthers #1 and Clausen for Carson Palmer and Cincy's #1.

Panthers #1 for Kevin Kolb and Philly's #1.

If we are focused on bringing in a veteran free agent then the first place you have to look is Mike Vick (assuming the Eagles stick with Kolb). Maybe you look at a guy like Vince Young if the organization thinks they can keep him under control.

Giving up the number 1 for any of those QBs is crazy. Orton can never be trusted, Palmer is likely at the end of his run and Kolb has shown no more than Moore has, in a very QB friendly offense.

The Eagles aren't letting go of a possible MVP in free agency in Vick, sorry.

None of those scenarios either make sense or are possible.

I disagree with the statement there is not an elite QB in the draft. A lot of the prospects this year have Huge potential and could have a very high ceiling, they just also have a high risk factor involved with them.

In other words, High risk High reward players.... There are not any mild risk players with High rewards.

There are a lot of projects that could be elite in the future but none of them can come in and play right now. None of them are #1 worthy and they all have a lot to do before they can see the field and be successful. Sanchez was more polished than all of these guys coming out and it's not even close.

Sanchez was never elite, I remember alot of people saying he would be a huge fail at the nfl level because of only playing 1 year at usc starting.

if not a big qb in the draft and free agency, build around our QB we already have.

That was the only knock on him. His footwork, arm strength, release, smarts, intangibles, everything else was great, it was just his experience. Like I said, he was far more polished than anyone coming out this year.

I think we have copied the Buccaneers already. We went young and gutted the roster of vets. So did the Buccs. We have salary cap room galore. So do the Buccs. We both took a QB in the draft where we could instead of trading up.

Last but certainly not least can we please drop the franchise QB talk? Gabbert, Newton, and Mallett are reaches. It certainly is a stretch to call any of them a franchise QB. Draft a shutdown corner or a top flight WR. Marshall or Smith can be upgraded. WR, Corner, DT is the choices. We can not afford to waste our top pick on another project QB.

Archived