• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers hire Proehl

Boltergeist

You don't have to pay social security taxes on a consultant.

And he doesn't go on your company health plan either.

This is not to intimate that the Panther Front Office tries to get by on the cheap.

Not necessarily. Depends on whether you set his schedule and his work load. The line between consultant and employee has shrunk and blurred.....several large corporations lost lawsuits (biggest was Microsoft I believe) on the whole employee vs consultant difference. They were required topay back taxes and benefits.

I digress.....back to football.

I vaguely remember a story about him wanting to retire before the '05 season. Smitty was coming back from the broken leg, and Mrs. Smith called Proehl and asked him to consider coming back because of how her husband felt about the man on the field. I do remember an article about Smith himself telling Ricky that he couldnt leave yet, he had more to teach him (Smitty)...

Regardless, great hire, really looking forward to this next season and the development of the whole team as well as individual players.. We could be on the cusp of greatness...

Heard Ricky on 2 guys named Chris this morning on my drive in to work. Says you'll see evidence of his input both during practice and games. He said he will help the young WR's to break down what coverages are trying to do to them. Also mentioned he will be helping during practice to teach route running. He sounded excited about the coaching staff already in place, and excited about joining the team.

I agree with Mr Scot. This is likely just a stepping stone to him becoming a WR coach in the future for us.

I think this is a great hire. Not that I think it improves our coaching abilities by that much, but as far as morale, loyalty, heart and identity....it goes a VERY long way to have a guy like Proehl who was part of a SB run with this franchise be on the coaching staff.

I think it will create great atmosphere and chemistry between coaches and players. Awesome move, imo.

I'm beginning to wonder though, if we're almost at the tipping point of too many chiefs and not enough indians. How many total coaches and assistants are we up to now?

Archived