• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Screw Cam Newton

chknwing

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/josh-freeman?id=79557#profiles-tabs:players-analysis

Just saying...if you told me I could get a Josh Freeman type QB with the #1 pick vs. any defensive lineman, I'd pull the trigger. Do I understand that we have a woeful Dline, yes, I do, but, we also have a very very woeful QB situation and while we might make the playoffs without a blue chip Dlineman, odds are very low we will make it without a blue chip QB; at least he is a risk with both his feet and his arm.

Yeah, would you take Gerald McCoy or Josh Freeman # 1 overall right now?

McCoy and The Golden Calf of Bristol had a team the supported them and was developing them. You can't even compare the situations. Watch The Golden Calf of Bristol regress this year or not even play.

how does this explain joe webb? was EVERBODY against jimmy last year? you guys act like the other rookies went to superbowl dynasty teams or something? from most peoples veiw point we were better than than the Rams or the Browns.

The guy is not an NFL qb. he had the simplest offense. Target 1 receiver, if covered, take off and run. Thats not gonna work in the NFL. Carolinas new offensive scheme is to use the TE alot, did cam Newton even throw to his TE's? He is a project and has to be taught what it is to be an NFL qb in a pro style offense. I think he shouldn't be a first round pick at all.

That may all be true, but it does not mean he can not learn. It's kind of like the NFL offense is Calculus 3. Some college quarterbacks have had experience with Calculus 3 so they have one key element needed to succeed down, BUT that is only 1! And you need one of many that's why it's not easy finding a successful QB. So yes Jimmy had Calculus 3, but he's missing other factors needed in addition.

Cam has most of those other factors, but he does not know Calculus 3. It's like he has just started to learn Calculus 1!!! But just because he has just started learning Calculus 1, doesn't mean he lacks the intellectual ability to learn it, followed by Calculus 2, and Calculus 3. That;s what the scouts and the PAnthers needs to find out. Does he have the ability to learn it!! We all know he hasn't learn it yet, does not mean that he will not learn it!!!

I heard all these same arguments about Josh Freeman in '09.

Ummmm No you did not! Freeman threw the ball over 4 times more than Cam. Cam has under 300 passed in D1, freeman over 1100.... Freeman took snaps from both under center and Shotgun and he ran a multiple offense system. He did have more experiences with coverages, routes, adjustments, ect... So no, the same things were not said in that regard.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/josh-freeman?id=79557#profiles-tabs:players-analysis

Just saying...if you told me I could get a Josh Freeman type QB with the #1 pick vs. any defensive lineman, I'd pull the trigger. Do I understand that we have a woeful Dline, yes, I do, but, we also have a very very woeful QB situation and while we might make the playoffs without a blue chip Dlineman, odds are very low we will make it without a blue chip QB; at least he is a risk with both his feet and his arm.

Wow, that analysis of Freeman's negatives is almost exactly the same as some I've seen on Cam. And FTR, Tampa's coach has said that he would have taken Josh at #1 if he had to.

To Jangler...how in the hell did the Panthers not support and try to develop Clausen? Aside from getting a new OC, what more could they have done? Clausen is what he is. He might be solid in a year or two, but he is never gonna be a superstar. If you're thinking that a new staff and a new QB coach is gonna transform him in to Aaron Rodgers, you're gonna be disappointed.

Wow, that analysis of Freeman's negatives is almost exactly the same as some I've seen on Cam. And FTR, Tampa's coach has said that he would have taken Josh at #1 if he had to.

To Jangler...how in the hell did the Panthers not support and try to develop Clausen? Aside from getting a new OC, what more could they have done? Clausen is what he is. He might be solid in a year or two, but he is never gonna be a superstar. If you're thinking that a new staff and a new QB coach is gonna transform him in to Aaron Rodgers, you're gonna be disappointed.

Those negatives are not close to the same as Cams??? :confused:

Negatives: Must improve his footwork. His height makes him take long strides in his drop. Fails to step into his throws or square his shoulders at times, relies on his arm strength too often.

Cam mechanics has actually been said to be pretty good and he also has a nice tight release. He also does not suffer the long arm release of most other big QB's

Inconsistent accuracy from the pocket and throwing on the run. Needs to anticipate downfield throws better, sometimes getting the ball to his receiver a second early or late.

Accuracy has been pretty good when he does throw the ball.

Prone to turnovers, makes poor decisions trying to make plays that aren't there. Does not feel backside pressure.

Does not really apply has he did not have as much decision making to do in the passing game as Freeman did... Cams negative is lack of having to make decisions... Due to Cam's offense he also was not forced to make plays that were not there.

Lacks touch on shorter throws. Ball comes out of his hands poorly at times, negating his arm strength. Sometimes pats the ball before the throws.

Same as first paragraph, have not heard this about Cam.

Loose with the ball in the pocket and as a runner. Doesn't move the pile as you'd expect in short-yardage situations, but his height allows him to be effective.

The opposite of Cam.... Cam does move the pile very well and he exceeded in short yardage situation.

Before you say things are the exact same you may want to actually read the article first and not just spew words out. :wink:

........ I think the kid has by far the most potential of any QB in the class for either greatness OR bust, but I wouldn't mind the Panthers picking him if they can trade down 5 or 10 spots. Not with #1 though, I'd rather more of a sure thing with #1. I wouldn't feel so bad about passing on AJ Green if we can pick up a #1 next year or at least a 2nd this year for moving down to take Newton. Still prefer Green, whether it's #1 or wherever.

If the Panthers agree that Cam is the by far the best QB, one with most potential and can be the guy..... then they should take him #1. You dont trade down to 5 or something and risk not getting him. Escpecially when this team needs a QB. If he is good enough to pick at #5, then then the Panthers need to take him #1 and not mess around.

Those negatives are not close to the same as Cams??? :confused:

Cam mechanics has actually been said to be pretty good and he also has a nice tight release. He also does not suffer the long arm release of most other big QB's

Accuracy has been pretty good when he does throw the ball.

Does not really apply has he did not have as much decision making to do in the passing game as Freeman did... Cams negative is lack of having to make decisions... Due to Cam's offense he also was not forced to make plays that were not there.

Same as first paragraph, have not heard this about Cam.

The opposite of Cam.... Cam does move the pile very well and he exceeded in short yardage situation.

Before you say things are the exact same you may want to actually read the article first and not just spew words out. :wink:

I have seem many different opinions on Cam, but some of that stuff on Josh Freeman is almost word for word the same as some I've seen on Cam, especially the part about the footwork and mechanics short throws. Of course I was exagerrating a little bit when I said the whole thing exactly the same. You didn't really need to go to such lengths to prove your point.

I believe Cam will be even better than Freeman.

how does this explain joe webb? was EVERBODY against jimmy last year? you guys act like the other rookies went to superbowl dynasty teams or something? from most peoples veiw point we were better than than the Rams or the Browns.

2 whole games? really? not sure you saw my point other than you want to be a smart ass.

Archived