• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Want ot wait till after the first round to get a QB??

teeray

A lot of experts would disagree, Luck was the consensus first pick. There were a host of reasons for that.

You missed my whole point. I didn't say that Newton was better than Luck. I said the Panthers acknowledged that we were going to take him number 1. I also said he was better ready to start and play in a pro offense after being in Harbaugh's system for 3 years.

What I said was that Luck wasn't light years ahead of Newton and that with Luck gone- Newton was still worthy of being drafted number 1. As we get closer to the draft, more experts will come to that conclusion.

Luck was rated higher because he was the complete package, no weaknesses, no red flags.

Luck was light years ahead of Newton, let's not reach that far.

How do you know that Luck has no red flags? Have you studied all of his games, or did you just jump on the bandwagon based on what people were saying about him, or the 2-3 times you have seen him play? Have you dug in to his past, like everybody and their brother is doing with Cam Newton right now?

How do you know that Luck has no red flags? Have you studied all of his games, or did you just jump on the bandwagon based on what people were saying about him, or the 2-3 times you have seen him play? Have you dug in to his past, like everybody and their brother is doing with Cam Newton right now?

I know this question wasn't to me but I did watch a good bit of film on Andrew Luck.

He really doesn't have red flags. But he does have some yellow flags (i just made this up). His throwing motion does have some kinks in it without getting too far into it they are minor and in my opinion easily fixable.

His biggest problem (for me) is his decision making. He is really smart and has a lot of confidence which is good, but sometimes he makes overly brave throws or tries to make plays when he should either take a sack or throw the ball away. He gets away with it a lot so it isn't highlighted as much (like still throwing down field when he should probably just take a sack) and I don't know if he will be able to get away with that in the NFL. He also isn't as accurate down the field as you would like (that is a little nitpicky).

Again, no major red flags but several little yellow ones.

The ONLY red flag with Newton at this point IMO is his character stuff. Otherwise, fundamentally there isn't as big a gap as some would lead you to believe.

No arrests or allegations, no pay for play, no questions surrounding his intelligence. He has the pedigree, he had the coaching, he has the mechanics, footwork, experience, arm strength and intangibles.

No red flags. Didn't say he can't improve, but no character issues.

Luck was deserving of the first pick- no other QB is. Luck is light years ahead of all other QB's available in this draft.

No arrests or allegations, no pay for play, no questions surrounding his intelligence. He has the pedigree, he had the coaching, he has the mechanics, footwork, experience, arm strength and intangibles.

Luck was deserving of the first pick- no other QB is. Luck is light years ahead of all other QB's available in this draft.

Who is questioning the guy's intelligence?? Why would someone who came in and in one year mastered a fast paced complex offense like Gus Malzhan's have his intelligence questioned?? Haven't seen that one.

The only thing about Cam's past that is significant to the NFL would be the lap top incident.

There have been other QB's in recent memory that has had all these things as well and busted right out of the league.

And I would say light years ahead of the other QB's is an overstatement to the highest degree.

Cam's base talent level is higher than any QB to come out since Mike Vick. If it weren't for the off the field stuff he would be a slam dunk at number one, so let's not go crazy with the Luck stuff.

Most athletic since Vick perhaps, but most talented as QB is off base.

One read spread/ run option offense bothers me a lot. Character issues bother me for a guy who will become the face of the franchise, the leader of the team.

Freakish athletic ability is great, but it takes more than that in the NFL, particularly at QB.

Who is questioning the guy's intelligence?? Why would someone who came in and in one year mastered a fast paced complex offense like Gus Malzhan's have his intelligence questioned?? Haven't seen that one.

The only thing about Cam's past that is significant to the NFL would be the lap top incident.

I think football I.Q. has been questioned quite a bit. I dug this one up from way back around 1:30 this morning.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/The-Shutdown-40-12-Cam-Newton-QB-Auburn;_ylt=AvXf2Gv57IH2RAUmBtAm.UxDubYF?urn=nfl-324101

"The real questions about Newton come from the things one can't always see on the field – football I.Q. (though I find that quarterbacks of Newton's skin color still frequently wind up debited in this area from an analysis perspective to an unfair degree), ability to make every read consistently, and ability to take snap after snap under center.

Cons: As a thrower, Newton doesn't always spring back in his dropbacks to optimal throwing setup, leading to inaccurate arm throws. Used to taking one read before throwing or running – perhaps two at most – leading to questions about the time it would take to get him prepared to play in a multiple-read offense."

Most athletic since Vick perhaps, but most talented as QB is off base.

One read spread/ run option offense bothers me a lot. Character issues bother me for a guy who will become the face of the franchise, the leader of the team.

Freakish athletic ability is great, but it takes more than that in the NFL, particularly at QB.

Cam is bigger, stronger, and more fundamentally sound than Vick was at this point in his career.

The one read and run offense is a myth that has been debunked. It is at times part of the offense but that isn't the crux of the offense. It is a little more complex than that.

The character stuff is legit but seeing that neither me nor you really know this guy it is best to leave that to the guys who interview him and do their vetting of him to make that determination I certainly not going to put all my eggs in what the media has said about certain things before certain facts are known for sure.

It's important to note how many of those players were drafted to be starters and how many were drafted to be backups.

For example, Painter wasn't drafted by the Colts with them trying to find the franchise QB, neither was Brohm, Flynn, Canfield, Pike, Crompton, Josh Johnson, Sorgi, etc.

Those guys were drafted with no plans of them playing for at least a few years.

IF, a big if, we take someone after the 1st round, it'll be a more polished player that we expect can play sooner rather than later since we do not have the luxury to groom a project.

Just my $ .02

Archived