• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mallett's press conference.

teeray

Cam had a lot of positive reviews but that may have been because he immediately followed Ryan Mallett.

Honestly I didn't see it but apparently it was a total train wreck. Did any of you guys watch it?? And if so thoughts???

For those who don't like Cam, Mallett is a top ten talent that might still be sitting there in the third. :dupe:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/620926-nfl-combine-2011-jimmer-fredette-cam-newton-and-saturdays-late-sports-buzz/entry/49866-nfl-combine-results-ryan-mallett-flops-cam-newton-rises-at-press-conference

after watching the youtube clip of mallett....

what was wrong with that? I'm honestly confused. I didn't think he was cocky or condescending or anything like that.

I mean maybe there was more to it and other instances where he was being an ass but if his whole presser was like that clip then people are just trying to label Mallett the villain of the draft.

after watching the youtube clip of mallett....

what was wrong with that? I'm honestly confused. I didn't think he was cocky or condescending or anything like that.

I mean maybe there was more to it and other instances where he was being an ass but if his whole presser was like that clip then people are just trying to label Mallett the villain of the draft.

Clip didn't show it but they did on Total Access, they kept asking him questions he didn't like & he got up left. It'll turn up, didn't look favorable for him imo.

The very first question in the interview was about the allegations, which shouldn’t have been a surprise. But it seemed that way to Mallett.

“First question, huh?” Mallett said, perhaps expecting that a bouquet of flowers was headed his direction. He then said, “When I saw that stuff, I laughed about it.”

After that came a series of further half-baked answers that led to more inquiries.

“I said I’m not going to talk about it here,” Mallett said, indicating that he would answer the questions only to NFL teams. Keeping secrets in the NFL about drug use is about as likely as growing palm trees on an iceberg.

Mallett then played the blame game, saying, “Obviously, someone did that for a reason, right before the combine.” In reality, the rumors about Mallett have been swirling for months.

Then there was this cocky gem of an answer to questions about his decision-making on the field. Many around the NFL have been troubled by Mallett’s propensity for big mistakes in critical moments. When asked how he answers those concerns, Mallett said: “Seven thousand-plus yards and 60 touchdowns in two seasons. That’s how I respond to that.”

Jim Druckenmiller, Andre Ware and David Klingler are among dozens of guys who have put up stats like that in college only to do nothing in the NFL.

Still, the daunting question about Mallett came back to the alleged drug use. He stonewalled again and again until he was asked bluntly: “This question isn’t going away until you answer. Why not just answer it?”

“Because I don’t want to talk about it,” Mallett said.

Mallett doesn’t seem to get it. His biggest problem isn’t the nature of the rumor. It’s that he wasn’t upfront. He wasn’t candid. No one was expecting him to detail his problems to the media, if he indeed has them. But at least own up to making mistakes in a general sense if you’re not refuting the claims.

If Mallett had said something like, “Yes, I’ve made mistakes and I’m working to correct them,” the questions would largely go away. Instead, Mallett looked like the antithesis of a leader.

In a profession where handling yourself in front of critics – sometimes 80,000 of them on a Sunday afternoon – is a prerequisite, Mallett flopped.

Yahoo

Asked about concerns regarding his decision-making and accuracy, Mallett retorted, “Seven thousand-plus yards and 60-plus touchdowns in two seasons, that’s how I respond to that.”

This one perked some ears too. After watching the whole thing, it wasn't really good but not a train wreck either. That was a bit of an overstatement.

I'm pretty sure that's not exactly the way he envisioned his first press conference going. But one thing is for sure, the timing of these rumors are absolutely crushing for his draft stock. If he doesn't clear his name, things are just going to fester and will never go away.

Here's the dynamite audio. I highly encourage you to listen to every single second of it.

Link To Audio

I hope his stock drops him to the third round. I would take a chance on him there, especially if we trade down. ONLY after checking him out thoroughly to determine he was not on drugs.

My impressions: (going from the short clip) He is not very intelligent. He is truthful. He was less prepared for tough questions than Newton. Still, he has baggage, and that should drop his stock. These things matter, and his temper or inability to handle himself with composure should cost him.

However, if you feel that leaving a press conference drops his stock but you are one of the people who think multiple red flags should be ignored (when the same standards are applied to Newton), then it is time to step back and reevaluate your perspective because you might be a hypocrite.

Archived