• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Yas changes his mind again: "Panthers can't afford to take Newton"

mav1234

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/37978/panthers-cant-afford-to-wait-on-cam-newton

It IS Yas, so take it for what it's worth (aka nothing):

I don’t see the Panthers taking Newton with the first pick. They need to solidify their quarterback position immediately. Newton’s not going to be an instant 70-percent passer. They’ll get their quarterback through free agency or a trade, and that makes sense, because a veteran guy could make the Panthers respectable at quarterback right away. The rest of Carolina’s roster isn’t that bad. Give the Panthers a quarterback who can complete 60-percent of his passes and give them some semblance of a passing game and they’ll be competitive.

Newton’s not going to do that right away, and maybe he never does. The Panthers need to get a quarterback who can throw the ball right now, and I don’t think that quarterback is in this draft.

I couldn't disagree more with his logic. I would rather have a young QB to build around rather than a one-year rental like he suggests. The Panthers will have the same problem next year if they wait.

One year rental will tell us if Clausen is the guy or not. Plus, QB's should be a better class next year (if Clausen tanks, we will be in position for Luck).

I do agree with him, but it's Yas, and... well, he's had like 5 articles about how we should take a Qb if blah blah blah... haha.

It's not actually an inconsistency.

His suggestion has been that the Panthers should take a QB number one if they believe that there's a franchise quarterback in the draft.

This article essentially says there's no franchise quarterback in the draft (or at least that it isn't Newton).

Argue the conclusions if you want, but he's not really reversing himself.

Archived