• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Yas: By the numbers - Newton vs. Gabbert

blackcatgrowl

lol, who said Gabbert had any character issues? wtf are you talking about?

Someone asked why one might think Gabbert has "better" intangibles than Newton. One of those is that his off-the-field decision making has seemed to be better, at least earlier in their careers. However, I don't really think it's fair to compare the two guys like that; they both can have great intangibles and both be standup people. My point was to illustrate why someone might feel that Gabbert didn't have any character concerns. I personally feel Newton's are something he is putting behind himself, but they are still questions he is answering to NFL teams, so.

:lol: Where do you think Statistics come from? You have said consistently to go and watch Gabbets games and it will prove he is much better. This proves he is not...

No, I haven't said "go watch his games to see how he is better than Cam Newton" (at least... I don't think I have, though I may have said he's a better prospect than Cam Newton)... I have said his film is better than his statistics, though. What people say is if you watch Gabbert's film you will see that he has a skill set that looks like it would transition well to the NFL. It looks like he has all the tools to be a great NFL quarterback. Nobody in their right mind is telling you that Gabbert put up better statistics than Newton.

If he didn't have negatives, he'd at least be the unquestioned #1 QB in the class, and he isn't that. Lots of debate about him for good reason. In the right situation, I think he'll go far. I'd say the same about any of these guys though.

count me among those who don't really care about college numbers (although i suppose that helps cam's case).

i look at work ethic, ability to learn/coach-ability, leadership, potential as a player, and poise under pressure as the main things. the pre-NFL stats that matter most to me is efficiency and ball security.

tough thing is, they don't post stats for fumbles made by players in college, though i'd take newton's 30:7 TD:INT ratio any day above gabbert's 16:9.

can't really say that gabbert's receivers were much worse than newton's because he wasn't working with any studs. newton just made better of his opportunities.

So we're not allowed to dislike him because of both issues?

I guess you've missed the part of this thread where in a comparison of football measurables and stats, Newton is well ahead of Gabbert?

Now... if you want to just dislike him because he's a "bad guy", you go right ahead. I'll even defend your right to say that. I don't agree with it, but that's your perogative.

All I ask is that you be honest, and just admit it's a negative emotional response to Newton, and not try and muddy it up with a twisted take on the facts.

tough thing is, they don't post stats for fumbles made by players in college, though i'd take newton's 30:7 TD:INT ratio any day above gabbert's 16:9.

I don't put much stock in TD/INT ratio, or any stats from college for that matter, but I do think that you might want to look at attempts to interception ratio as opposed to TD to INT ratio. Gabbert's ball security looks much better when you consider the number of passes he threw.

Bout the only stat he has going for him, though. :)

I don't put much stock in TD/INT ratio {when people try to make arguments for a player I don't like}, or any stats from college for that matter {when people make arguments for a player I don't like}, but I do think that you might want to look at attempts to interception ratio as opposed to TD to INT ratio {because even though I just refuted college stats, this stat, while completely irrelevant to winning games helps my weak argument against Newton}. Gabbert's ball security looks much better when you consider the number of passes he threw {even though he couldn't put it in the end zone as often as Newton}.

{But so I don't look completely silly, I'm going to appeal to a neutral stance and say this is} Bout the only stat he has going for him, though. :)

Fixed.

I don't put much stock in TD/INT ratio, or any stats from college for that matter, but I do think that you might want to look at attempts to interception ratio as opposed to TD to INT ratio. Gabbert's ball security looks much better when you consider the number of passes he threw.

Bout the only stat he has going for him, though. :)

imo, you would have to give the same respect to attempts to TDs. that really doesn't work out in gabbert's favor.

still, i would love to find fumble stats for college players.

Archived