• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Running QBs in the NFL

Stumpy

Heres a mobile QB

That was more of him throwing on the run than I had seen. He threw it 18 times on the run in the video; of those he showed good footwork and mechanics on about 8 of them. Some of those were pretty impressive, but there were also a lot of balls where he didn't square his shoulders and the ball sailed on him or just floated out of his hands. He also seems to inexplicably make awkward throws (jump passes, side arms, shovel passes) for no reason leading to a lot of incompletions as well.

That was more of him throwing on the run than I had seen. He threw it 18 times on the run in the video; of those he showed good footwork and mechanics on about 8 of them. Some of those were pretty impressive, but there were also a lot of balls where he didn't square his shoulders and the ball sailed on him or just floated out of his hands. He also seems to inexplicably make awkward throws (jump passes, side arms, shovel passes) for no reason leading to a lot of incompletions as well.

Much better on the run at his pro day than he was during the year. I guess it just shows how different the situation is between playing throw and catch versus playing against a defense. Or he has made significant progress working on his deficits with his quarterback coach.

A running QB and a QB who can run are two different things.

QB's that can run headlined the SB this year.

Exactly, how many QBs have we watched in the NFL who were runners and didn't achieve a real modicum of success until they became pocket QBs?

McNabb, Moon, Steve Young, Randall Cunningham, Jim Zorn... the list could probably contain 15-20 names.

The point is they enjoyed far more success once they became pocket QBs who could run if need be. The QB run by itself was not part of the playbook.

Good research. I have two questions...if in the universe of NFL QB's, one is either a running QB (as you have defined it above) or a non-running QB, then:

1) What is the average number of games started per year for non-running QB's?

2) If the running QB's have a greater than 50% win rate, does that mean that non-running QB's are below 50%?

Great questions. I'm surprised no one else picked up on this. By the OP's analysis, running QBs are more likely to win games than non-running QBs.

The only thing that might counter that is if they miss more games than non-running QBs. Some posters here seem to assume that non-running QBs miss no games, but that's obviously not that case. The question is whether they miss fewer than running QBs. We tend to assume that, but I don't know if that's true or not, or if it is, if the difference is significant. I'd be surprised if it is, but I could be wrong.

To me the most interesting thing about the OP was that running QBs are more likely to win than non-running QBs. Maybe there are other factors involved or maybe the sample size was too small - and the much more important thing is WHICH running QB or non-running QB you have - but it's still something to think about.

I think people are spending too much time worrying about his mechanics and footwork, instead of aknowlegding the fact that he completed most of the passes. The important thing to me, is the result of the play. There will be plenty of times in the NFL, where he will have to make throws with defenders in his face and around his feet. I don't think Gabbert or Mallett are as good under pressure, as Cam is.

Exactly, how many QBs have we watched in the NFL who were runners and didn't achieve a real modicum of success until they became pocket QBs?

McNabb, Moon, Steve Young, Randall Cunningham, Jim Zorn... the list could probably contain 15-20 names.

The point is they enjoyed far more success once they became pocket QBs who could run if need be. The QB run by itself was not part of the playbook.

Are you not entertained? Here's a pocket QB:

rodgers came out of a pro-style offense and was drafted in the middle of the 1st-round whereas a guy with a lot of potential went 1st ovr...

if you wanna do the same mistake like we did, go ahead.

ok, alex didnt get the best coaching in the world but i dont care about that anymore :D

rodgers came out of a pro-style offense and was drafted in the middle of the 1st-round whereas a guy with a lot of potential went 1st ovr...

if you wanna do the same mistake like we did, go ahead.

ok, alex didnt get the best coaching in the world but i dont care about that anymore :D

The only one that looks like Alex is Blaine I don't see Alex and Cam's game are totally different

What happened to Jackofalltrades, Madhatter, and MrScot. This video is for you guys.

Not a big fan of scouting via highlight reel for any position, but especially not QB.

If you don't see all the plays, you don't get the full picture. Highlight reels can make anyone look great.

Not a big fan of scouting via highlight reel for any position, but especially not QB.

If you don't see all the plays, you don't get the full picture. Highlight reels can make anyone look great.

these arent highlight reels. this is scouting tape over six games against top defenses thats why you see the misses and drops. it looks so good you'd think it was a highlight tape

Archived