• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Change your damn filters!

YourMomsLover

Just got home from a day of troubleshooting a few AC units that werent functioning properly.Had to charge 2 homeowners a trip fee of 100 bucks to simply take out their dirty filter, and replace with a clean filter. I felt horrible.

Just wanted to remind my fellow huddlers to change your air filters before the warm weather hits. You should change them at least once ever 2 months using the cheapest air filter you can find. (Lowes has the cheap filters for around 25 cents/filter.)

CHEAP FILTERS ARE BETTER! Dont listen to all that allergen hype. The only thing a heavy pleated filter will do is raise your energy bill, and makes your unit work harder than it has to. (Its comparable to running a marathon while breathing through a straw for your unit.) Sure they are great for your allergies...but if you change cheap filters often enough it doesnt really make a fug.

So please my fellow huddlers...change your air filters, and save some money!!!

A well maintained central air system should last you around 20 years +! Look at Me! :D

Love,

YourMomsLover

I work for a commercial hvac company. Its amazing how much we have to charge people because of stupid poo they did or didn't do.

We used to do commercial work, but since the economy slowed down, we only do residential work.

Man I miss doing preventative maintenance at the mall! BOOBIES!

What if Lowes dosen't have my air filter size? My size is 14x25x1.

This is a problem I have with them. Id say odds are you have a heat pump maybe? Thats typical heat pump return dimensions.

Your best bet is to try your local HVAC supply house. Forget the "Trade Contactor Sales Only" sticker on the entrance....this usually doesnt apply to people only wanting filters or simple things like that.

There is a simple experiment you can use to tell the difference between using a pleated filter, as opposed to a cheaper filter.

Check a supply run (air vent) closest to the main indoor unit with a pleated filter...

And do otherwise with a cheap filter....

The air output is MUCH better with your cheap one. Hence better heating/cooling capabilities. Embrace cheapness!

Also...call your local guys first for estimates, and then try the corporations (McNutt, Quality Air)

You will find better prices from local businesses...its the only way my papaws business has stayed afloat. AND DO NOT AGREE TO SERVICE AGREEMENTS! You will get jacked!

Edit: Call the guy...most units (inside and out) have at least a 5 year warranty.

Archived