• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Black QBs vs Black Coaches and GMs

Awesomeness!!

There are several reasons actually, but if I had to pick one I would say people confusing other types of prejudice with racial prejudice. Some don't like spread offense QBs, some don't like ANY off field drama, some don't like the school the player is from, etc...

Sure its all irrational (to varying degrees) as is racial prejudice but its not racial. Thats where confirmation bias creeps in. "oh he uses Newton's smile as a reason not to draft him. That is irrational. Racism is irrational. Thus he is racist."

True. People where saying Toby Gihart (dont feel like googling) wasn't given a fair shake because he was white. This is probably true. People are NATURALLY skeptical of things they aren't used to seeing. Its not "racist", which I why I said I don't thing anybody involved is a "racist". But my point was this never happens to black coaches and GM, but it dis proportionally happens to black Qbs which is because imo black Gms and coaches have been more successful than black Qbs.

Dual threat quarterbacks don't scare anyone.

"Run first" and "one read and run" quarterbacks do, and well they should.

You have to determine what you're looking at in any prospect. Just because he can run doesn't automatically make him a dual threat (see: Smith, Akili; Crouch, Eric)

They still have to be an effective passer first and foremost.

Yea i agree with that...which is why I dont see why people are putting Cam in the same category as you just mentioned. He's a good passer AND good runner. His completion percentage was high last year. 66%! Not to mention his 30 TDs to only 7 INTs. All he needs is a little coaching and he could become a QB in the mold of a Steve Young, or a Donovan McNabb, or a Randall Cunningham, or a Steve McNair, or a Big Ben (with better rushing ability).

True. People where saying Toby Gihart (dont feel like googling) wasn't given a fair shake because he was white. This is probably true. People are NATURALLY skeptical of things they aren't used to seeing. Its not "racist", which I why I said I don't thing anybody involved is a "racist". But my point was this never happens to black coaches and GM, but it dis proportionally happens to black Qbs which is because imo black Gms and coaches have been more successful than black Qbs.

I would say it was because they aren't seen as much & many fans seem to think they know a lot about positions, but are willing to accept they don't understand management & coaching.

I think the old school days and guys are dying out. You know, the guys in the industry who told Warren Moon he was just a DB and not a QB in the NFL. I believe there is a new generation of people willing to accept that Black QBs can do a great job at playing QB. If the old ways of drafting "ideal" QBs still existed then there would be no Michael Vick, no Josh Freeman starting period. The old days of recruiting the most nonathletic, big arm, "white only" because blacks arent smart enough days are done, but that doesnt mean people still wont try to hold on to those ideas. There are people on this board who probably believe that the color of your skin determines your intellect or ability to perform certain positions on the field. I myself feel sorry for those people, they are obviously insecure of their own abilities and limit their own vision by doing so. I believe this is a very important milestone for Black QBs if you want to put them in a group, and for the #1 QB to be Black this year stats wise is very hard for some people, so they claim everything else is an illusion, its the only thing left to attack. I hope we draft Cam honestly, it maybe what Carolina needs in the locker room, cam went through it all just like our team did last year going 2-14 with all outsiders telling them they have no chance of being good. Cam has a lot more in common with the Panthers than we think honestly, and if we draft him or not he will always be a magnet for attention ...ALL TYPES of attention.

To the OP, people dont tend to draw their self worth and confidence in themselves from the identity of their GM and coach the way they do their QB. Maybe thats why the QBs tend to be so polarizing and fall victim to massive character attacks.

Nobody on here draws their confidence and self-worth from who the QB, coach or GM of the Panthers is. The whole idea of such a thing is just stupid.

I think the old school days and guys are dying out. You know, the guys in the industry who told Warren Moon he was just a DB and not a QB in the NFL. I believe there is a new generation of people willing to accept that Black QBs can do a great job at playing QB. If the old ways of drafting "ideal" QBs still existed then there would be no Michael Vick, no Josh Freeman starting period. The old days of recruiting the most nonathletic, big arm, "white only" because blacks arent smart enough days are done, but that doesnt mean people still wont try to hold on to those ideas. There are people on this board who probably believe that the color of your skin determines your intellect or ability to perform certain positions on the field. I myself feel sorry for those people, they are obviously insecure of their own abilities and limit their own vision by doing so. I believe this is a very important milestone for Black QBs if you want to put them in a group, and for the #1 QB to be Black this year stats wise is very hard for some people, so they claim everything else is an illusion, its the only thing left to attack. I hope we draft Cam honestly, it maybe what Carolina needs in the locker room, cam went through it all just like our team did last year going 2-14 with all outsiders telling them they have no chance of being good. Cam has a lot more in common with the Panthers than we think honestly, and if we draft him or not he will always be a magnet for attention ...ALL TYPES of attention.

Good post. The idea that the old way of doing things is gonna someday work for us is just plain stupid!

+1

People post as if Cam was a bad Quarterback at times, which is just asinine in itself.

He's held to a higher standard, which is a win win for us because finally now our QB stable will have standards which they are held to. Thats something very new for us. I think our fanbase has the lowest expectations of demands of NFL QBs in the business. Cam will change that. Nobodys gonna give him a pass if he only wins 1 game as a starter or leads the league in INTs.

Archived