• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jerry Rice: Accuracy, not race, the issue with Cam Newton

mav1234

Ya know, I get that calling Newton a thug is stupid because despite his mistakes he doesn't seem very thug like, but why is it racist? Why can't it be just labeling someone poorly?

I mean, look at Mallett. Dude's been called a thug before. An idiot. A drug addict. We don't even know what drug he's done (if anything, who the hell knows, the media is HAMMERING him HARD). An alcoholic who skips meetings because of boozing it up in clubs. How many of those labels fit him? How many of them are racially motivated?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/21/jerry-rice-accuracy-not-race-the-issue-with-cam-newton/

seems like maybe some of us who had football-related questions about him weren't crazy after all. Not saying those questions will keep him from being drafted, but...

WHAT? A Black Man saying Race isn't the issue? Jerry Rice is uncle Tom I tell ya!!! :biggrin5:

You said "all white people are racist" the same way that I said "Cam is black, he's a thug". It never once happened.

You might not have said it, but enough others have. Are you really gonna act like that was not the tone of the board the past 2-3 months?

You need to learn to accept that some people have differing ideas than you. It's THAT kind of backwards thinking that kept us in the "Jim Crow era", as you put it. There are other people out there who won't, and definitely do not, agree with you. Get over it.

No, the "white people are always smarter than black people no matter what the situation" notion so many want to embrace here is what keeps us in the "Jim Crow Era". If I say Kobe Bryant is better than Kirk Hinrich, nobody takes it personal on this board. But if I say Cam Newton is a better QB than Jimmy Clausen or Andrew Luck, people take that as attack on themselves and take it very much personal and begin to hate Cam for it. LMAO. Its one thing our fanbase MUST grow out of. Its childish and makes all of us, me, you, everyone on this board look fuging STUPID. Im tired of having to defend our resistance to having an african american QB to the rest of the world.

It we draft Cam, we draft Cam. I don't think it's the right move. Not because he's black, but because he ran a simplistic spread offense in college, that I don't think will translate well to the NFL, and especially not a complex offense like the vertical Norv Turner-esque offense.

Who do you want us to draft and how do you think that person will help us win games?

I'd say he's listening to some of the analysts who might be a little racist, rather than doing his own homework.

None of the analysts are racist. To think so is pure stupidty. the kid isn't NFL Ready, not even close. I don't give a poo if he is Black, White, or orange with purple polka dots. The Golden Calf of Bristol wasn't ready and still isn't in my opinion. Eric Crouch hands down one of the greatest Dual threat QB's EVER wasn't ready. Neither was Tommy Frasier. Neither was Chung from Hawaii, neither was pretty much any QB out of U of Houston. The exception is Kolb because Reid has had him for awhile.

Race has nothing to do with it.

I believe Jerry Rice does know more about Warren Moon than how the game is played. Jerry was in the huddle every single day with one of the greatest QBs ever, with one of the greatest head coaches ever.

I didn't say anything about this racism bull-poo. A lot of you idiots think just because a guy is black, and some group of people don't like them, it's immediately because they're racist. (Isn't that called reverse racism?) It's f'n stupid to boil it back down to racism.

The only color that matters to the players is green. The only color that matters to us fans is that glittering sterling silver of the Lombardi Trophy.

His point was Jerry was only around white QB's. So he was isolated from the experiences that Warren Moon had.

About your racism talking, I believe as you everything isn't about race. However if you look at responses and pics, people go overboard in each direction. Saying his accuracy is poo, He is a spread QB, his offense was simple are valid points. Saying he is a thug, I think he is going to spend all his money on bling, he is going to be lazy once he gets paid were some of the first arguments posted about him. Those are racist. After a while, those same people then started adding valid points to their arguments it still seemed like it was racially motivated.

To compound this. Some people who were not racially motivated in their critique of Cam Newton feel the need to vindicate themselves every chance they get. Using black players or comments from other blacks as justification doesn't make them seem less racist. Makes it look like they are covering up. It's like saying "I have plenty of Black friends", or " I like black people's cooking" or any of those like statements.

I worked with a guy that all of the black people at my job called him a racist. I met him, got to know him and invited him to a party. I invited a lot of people from work. I got a lot of funny looks for inviting him, but said talk to him first before you start the racist talk. After getting to know him, they found out as I did. He wasn't racist, he was honest to a fault. Everyone respected that from him and came to like him because of that. My suggestion to all those who feel they are being called racist and are not is to stop trying to prove that you're not. Be honest, and let your words judge you.

Conspiracies never end with you huh?

It's not a "conspiracy". It's simple common sense and deduction.

When the end results of a situation are contrary to the facts at hand, whatever explanation, however unlikely, is probably the truth.

In this case...

Jerry Rice says Newton has accuracy issues.

Newton's stats from Junior and Division 1 college do not agree with this. His highlights do not agree with this. The number of just mind blowingly good games he had do not agree with this.

There is an undertone of bias against Newton in the media by a handful of analysts (most, who have done their homework, have come over to say he's worth the #1 pick). Surely SOME of it is racially motivated given the attitude against black QBs that others have noticed (like Moon).

Simple... deduction.

None of the analysts are racist. To think so is pure stupidty. the kid isn't NFL Ready, not even close. I don't give a poo if he is Black, White, or orange with purple polka dots. The Golden Calf of Bristol wasn't ready and still isn't in my opinion. Eric Crouch hands down one of the greatest Dual threat QB's EVER wasn't ready. Neither was Tommy Frasier. Neither was Chung from Hawaii, neither was pretty much any QB out of U of Houston. The exception is Kolb because Reid has had him for awhile.

Race has nothing to do with it.

Warren Moon... a black HoF QB... a person who has worked closely with Newton in recent months... and who would know how to spot racism against a particular player... disagrees with you.

There is still a stigma associated with the "black running QB" and the "running QB" / "athletic QB" in general, that isn't changing.

the only stigma i can think of is there aren't any of those type QB's that ever even played in a Super Bowl, much less have won one.

Ya know, I get that calling Newton a thug is stupid because despite his mistakes he doesn't seem very thug like, but why is it racist? Why can't it be just labeling someone poorly?

I mean, look at Mallett. Dude's been called a thug before. An idiot. A drug addict. We don't even know what drug he's done (if anything, who the hell knows, the media is HAMMERING him HARD). An alcoholic who skips meetings because of boozing it up in clubs. How many of those labels fit him? How many of them are racially motivated?

It's always going to be racially motivated because of stereotypes though I remember hearing someone say Mallett scared teams away because he had some street in him or some sh1t like that.

While I believe Moon obviously knows more about the QB position than Rice, Jerry is no slouch on QB knowledge as he worked with multiple HOFers. Yes Moon has had nothing but glowing things to say about Cam, but he is in Cam's 'camp' so to speak, so of course he's going to do that.

Anyone that doesn't take this at absolute face value is an idiot. All this means is two black NFL HOFers have two different views on a player that nobody has any idea how he will turn out in the NFL.

So Jerry never talked to a single african american quarterback... ever?

While I am insulted by it, it's not a big deal if someone here thinks I'm a racist. There are very few posters here whose opinions I really care about when it comes to anything other than football. The people in my life that matter know that isn't the case. I just think it's ridiculous that a legitimate argument on this board is "Nuh uh, it's racism."

If calling Cam a thug is racially motivated, is it also racially motivated to call Mallett one?

Archived